"if you could" Swap Weiss for another #2C

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Pavelski or O'Reilly. Those are really the only two guys I've seen mentioned in this thread that I think could handle the Babcockian game required of our centerman.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Weiss looks like a sunk cost at this point, and they have enough kids coming up where it looks like he won't be the 2nd best center on the team at any point in that deal even if he's healthy, which he's not.

Maybe he rounds into form in the years to come, but honestly the best-case scenario for the Wings might be for him to just stay injured the next 5 years so he can stay on LTIR. That's a ****** thing to say, I know, but it might be true. Dude is awful.

On the one hand, I'd say I'd swap him for almost anyone because he's awful. But then if you take a guy that is just as bad and has an equal or worse contract, but who stays healthy, that's even worse...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Weiss looks like a sunk cost at this point, and they have enough kids coming up where it looks like he won't be the 2nd best center on the team at any point in that deal even if he's healthy, which he's not.

Maybe he rounds into form in the years to come, but honestly the best-case scenario for the Wings might be for him to just stay injured the next 5 years so he can stay on LTIR. That's a ****** thing to say, I know, but it might be true. Dude is awful.

On the one hand, I'd say I'd swap him for almost anyone because he's awful. But then if you take a guy that is just as bad and has an equal or worse contract, but who stays healthy, that's even worse...

You don't think he is overdue to turn his game aroun?
I do not know if the injury was holding him back. I hope so, cause we Are getting like 20% of a 5 M player.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Go read the thread on the Rangers board regarding Stepan.

i've read it, i've catched some rangers games this year and imo lot of them are overreacting and/or expecting too much from him.

i've read a lot about callahan being nothing more than third liner when a while ago he was untouchable player, lundqvist is worse than talbot and awful etc.

string of good games from stepan and he's back to being #1 C.

i think he's solid 2 C, not as good as last year indicated but i agree with henkka, somewhat.

skating is issue though.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Pavelski or O'Reilly. Those are really the only two guys I've seen mentioned in this thread that I think could handle the Babcockian game required of our centerman.
should have drafted OReilly when we had the chance. Easy to say now, but that was my hope at the time. Of course Conner Bleakley reminds me of O'Reilly at that age, would be easy to say target him in the draft if we weren't likely to pick so high.

Johnz96*

you don't think bergeron or backes could handle that?

Backes or Bergeron would be ideal. Bergeron does make slightly more than Weiss and is scheduled to make even more than that next year.
I suggested Schenn as the Flyers like to make a lot of deals and some stupid ones.
Nyquist or Tatar(Weiss would be preferable but I doubt that flies) and Quincey for Schenn bros?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Backes or Bergeron would be ideal. Bergeron does make slightly more than Weiss and is scheduled to make even more than that next year.
I suggested Schenn as the Flyers like to make a lot of deals and some stupid ones.
Nyquist or Tatar(Weiss would be preferable but I doubt that flies) and Quincey for Schenn bros?

i don't really see that big need for luke. he's been so up and down. not what wings need imo. wings have their D's who can play schenn's role.

i wouldn't mind him for no cost but the cost would be too high imo for what he would bring; i'd use the assets to fill the bigger needs.

brayden yes. he's played a lot at wing in philly and seems to be better at C. not a fan of his hockey IQ but i think he's at least good 2nd line C. and might be the odd man out considering flyers C depth. maybe.

but they'd need D back, i think.

Johnz96*

i don't really see that big need for luke. he's been so up and down. not what wings need imo. wings have their D's who can play schenn's role.

i wouldn't mind him for no cost but the cost would be too high imo for what he would bring; i'd use the assets to fill the bigger needs.

brayden yes. he's played a lot at wing in philly and seems to be better at C. not a fan of his hockey IQ but i think he's at least good 2nd line C. and might be the odd man out considering flyers C depth. maybe.

but they'd need D back, i think.

Luke would be an improvement over Quincey, would be the Wings most physical d-man and is RHed. He is been in the NHL for a long time now but is still younger than Brendan Smith and still developing.

source

Jul 13, 2008
David Clarkson would be a better fit long-term on Detroit at centre. Weiss is the worst ****ing signing I have ever seen. Perhaps second only to Rick DiPietro.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Luke would be an improvement over Quincey, would be the Wings most physical d-man and is RHed. He is been in the NHL for a long time now but is still younger than Brendan Smith and still developing.

being improvement over quincey, sadly doesn't say much.

RH is good and part of the reasons i wouldn't mind him.

physicality isn't all good as he goes too often out of position to make a hit. he can play physical because of his size and strength but that has hurt his mobility compared to when he was smaller in the past and does get caught flat-footed too often.

i'd prefer to go after player who would fill bigger need. i personally wouldn't see a need to use him in top 4 that much, considering the wings need puck mover there imo.

i agree he's not done developing but i'd prefer players who aren't projects and/or have higher upside.

Johnz96*

Easily Backes. The guy plays the full 200 feet, can score, and hits just about anything that moves.

Maybe even a better bargain than Pav or Z, especially considering his age.
He would be exactly what the Wings need. Lol
Certainly the best center under $5m

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
You don't think he is overdue to turn his game aroun?
I do not know if the injury was holding him back. I hope so, cause we Are getting like 20% of a 5 M player.

He looked really bad when he was healthy, though. Unless we're assuming that he came to training camp with a groin injury that has bothered him all year, which I don't think is the case.

He's overdue to turn his game around, but so is Quincey. Not holding my breath on that one either.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Pavelski and it is not even close. Rh center, 2 way play, can actually shoot and is only around 28 for around the same money.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This team and there size queen coach needs intelligent, smart hockey sense, and savvy players to play puck possesion not 6'3+ 230+ neanderthals that play "real gud" mighty duck hockey.

Pavelski is a rh center solid 2 way play steady 55+% in face offs. Plus he can create offense as well as set up offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad