TSN: If the NHL drafts in June, Lottery Could be Tweaked in Wings' Favor

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Oh well, going to old draft system was a pipe dream. It was always going to be 4th overall everyone. Plus i'm more pissed that these 8 teams get to watch their team play, and get a chance at a great lotto pick. While we get to wait to 2021 if we are lucky. f*** you virus.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Chicago and one of the NY area teams will slip into the top three again. Ottawa will get the other pick. Wings get fourth.

If it was Holland, I would say the Wings would trade the 4th OA for 7-9 and two seconds, but I don't know what Yzerman will do.

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
Do we know the odds will be the same as before? Wings with 18.5% chance or could it be slightly higher?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is such a slap in the face. Essentially teams are going to be in the play-ins, and because the lottery will have already taken place, they will be in a win-win scenario. If they win, they move onto the playoffs, if they lose, they have a chance at first overall! They claim they want to eliminate tanking, but now there is this shit? Teams will full on know, that if if they lose a series, they have a chance at 1st overall!

I'm sorry, but it's a laughable decision. The worst part of it all is that it took them this long to come up with this nonsense.

I guess it's time to go watch more Drysdale highlight reels, maybe go watch a bit of Holtz and Askarov too, because Laf aint happening.

Shane Wright is coming in 2022 boys, I guess we dream we get lucky in that lottery lol.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
This is such a slap in the face. Essentially teams are going to be in the play-ins, and because the lottery will have already taken place, they will be in a win-win scenario. If they win, they move onto the playoffs, if they lose, they have a chance at first overall! They claim they want to eliminate tanking, but now there is this shit? Teams will full on know, that if if they lose a series, they have a chance at 1st overall!

I'm sorry, but it's a laughable decision. The worst part of it all is that it took them this long to come up with this nonsense.

I guess it's time to go watch more Drysdale highlight reels, maybe go watch a bit of Holtz and Askarov too, because Laf aint happening.

Shane Wright is coming in 2022 boys, I guess we dream we get lucky in that lottery lol.

If you think teams will intentionally lose the play in for small chance at 1OA you are out to lunch. Socially distancing of course.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The tease of getting a top-two pick at minimum sucks but that always felt like a pipedream to me.

Reactions: Jurky

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019

Only if the top 7 teams do not win the 3 draws on June 26th. Usually there is one team that jumps up in the 8-15 range so I think we can expect the same, but rarely is that pick the 1st overall. Just gotta pray on lottery night June 26th.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The tease of getting a top-two pick at minimum sucks but that always felt like a pipedream to me.

tenor.png

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If you think teams will intentionally lose the play in for small chance at 1OA you are out to lunch. Socially distancing of course.

12.5% isn't a small chance in my opinion.

Put it this way, the draft lottery happens and one of the play-in teams "wins" first overall. At this point, the teams that lose in the play-in will have a 12.5% chance at first overall. You don't think Montreal would be enticed to drop for those odds? If Montreal beats Pittsburgh, they go and play a team that will most likely eliminate them in the next round. But if Montreal loses to Pittsburgh they still know "oh well, we get a 12.5% chance at getting our French Canadian wonder boy"!

I'm not saying they'd do it, but it makes suffering a "play in" loss more tolerable knowing that you have a 12.% chance at Laf.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wow looks like there *was* a way to not do the draft with the Wings having extremely elevated odds at 1OA *and* with a modified playoff system.

Interesting.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
I dont think Habs or Hawks fan should be happy about this, my understanding is their 20% (Habs) and 16% (Hawks) of picking top 3 now probably turn into 12.5% in the case one draw is won by the odds of 8-15 ranked teams.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
This is how brilliant the NHL is, instead of taking advantage of the situation and holding a huge early summer draft event when all eyes could be on them and the potential to expand their fanbase was off the charts, they decide to completely bungle the situation, look like indecisive clowns, basically bend over the bottom third of the league, and potentially lose long time fans like me by screwing the team that I follow. Brilliant

The NHL draft is not drawing in new fans, people who don't watch a sport don't give a crap about the draft.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This.

I for one never bought into the idea that the bottom 5, or 7 would be the only teams eligible for the lottery...Pretty obvious the BoG would crap kittens if that were the case, and neither Bettman/Daly have the coconuts to go ahead, and do their own thing without BoG approval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad