If the kings traded for a forward at the deadline

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We just don't need to add anyone from the outside of our org.

IF IF IF we have to it would be due to injuries. I just don't see any real holes in our line up that can't be filled from within.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We just don't need to add anyone from the outside of our org.

IF IF IF we have to it would be due to injuries. I just don't see any real holes in our line up that can't be filled from within.

One injury or a cold streak can change things. Like I mentioned earlier, look at what happened in the playoffs last season. Adding one more offensive weapon who won't disrupt the lines would be a big help. There's no urgent need to make massive changes, but if they are able to deal a depth player and not give up anything of significance to add another legitimate scoring threat, then I say go for it.

Look at how the Hawks benefited from adding Handzus, or the Bruins by adding Jagr to the mix. Adding one more piece to the puzzle helped balance their lineups, which is exactly what happened with the Kings as well when they added Carter into the mix.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
One injury or a cold streak can change things. Like I mentioned earlier, look at what happened in the playoffs last season. Adding one more offensive weapon who won't disrupt the lines would be a big help. There's no urgent need to make massive changes, but if they are able to deal a depth player and not give up anything of significance to add another legitimate scoring threat, then I say go for it.

Look at how the Hawks benefited from adding Handzus, or the Bruins by adding Jagr to the mix. Adding one more piece to the puzzle helped balance their lineups, which is exactly what happened with the Kings as well when they added Carter into the mix.

I agree but in each of the situations you listed there was an actual need that those teams couldn't fill from within.

We added Carter out of a desperate need. The Hawks added Zuess out of a desperate need etc.

Up front we have kids who are ready to step in both with us now and down on the farm. On D we are loaded when healthy and if not we have D on the farm who can step up.

In net we have an actual logjam of players who are ready.

We would have to lose a top 6 player for the rest of the season and the playoffs for us to consider making any move(s) and then they would have to be very very good players that fit a specific need in order for us to do so imo.

Adding for the sake of adding (so we might have one extra good player) doesn't make any sense to me. Of course that is coming from us being healthy and ready for the playoffs. We have the kids in every spot ready to step in or close enough that by the end of the season we can count them being ready enough if needed.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I agree but in each of the situations you listed there was an actual need that those teams couldn't fill from within.

We added Carter out of a desperate need. The Hawks added Zuess out of a desperate need etc.

Up front we have kids who are ready to step in both with us now and down on the farm. On D we are loaded when healthy and if not we have D on the farm who can step up.

In net we have an actual logjam of players who are ready.

We would have to lose a top 6 player for the rest of the season and the playoffs for us to consider making any move(s) and then they would have to be very very good players that fit a specific need in order for us to do so imo.

Adding for the sake of adding (so we might have one extra good player) doesn't make any sense to me. Of course that is coming from us being healthy and ready for the playoffs. We have the kids in every spot ready to step in or close enough that by the end of the season we can count them being ready enough if needed.

I don't think they'd be doing that. They need a LW, either for the 2nd line or the 1st and King moves down. Clifford is not a top 6er and neither is anybody else that's been slotted there. If King is to remain on the 1st line, then then need a legit top 6 LW for Richards line. He's doing a great job mentoring TT and the more they play together they better that will be. But that line has a hole on the LW and it will be exposed in the playoffs.
I think DL knows that and will be shopping.

I like the fact that there are talented kids in the farm system but with Vey and TT already here, I can't see DL carrying a third rookie when every point counts in a very competitive Division where as the year rolls down, you need veterans who know how to play in that pressure .

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
As much as I enjoy thinking and talking about a possible trade, we really don't need one. We're a very good team with great depth.

They are a good team with great depth, but when it comes to the forwards, the depth is bottom 6, not top 6, they're a bit bare there. And last year in the playoffs that was a problem when the 2/3rds of the first line was on a milk carton and the 3rd line was MIA. The other teams they'll be facing have made changes and are better , will be tougher.
If the Kings want to get back to the SCF, they have to upgrade at LW.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not saying a trade is urgent and make a trade for the sake of making one, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the Kings are 21st in the league at even strength goals and are 20th in the league on the powerplay.

While they've been lighting up these Eastern Conference games, it is still a struggle for them to score in the West. Eight of the top 10 teams at even strength goals are in the West. While I'm not concerned about the defense preventing chances, I am concerned that if the opposition nets 3 or more goals or if the Kings get few powerplay opportunities and fail to capitalize on them.

My concerns stem from what we saw of this team in the playoffs this past season, how they struggled on the road, how dreadful the powerplay was, and how they struggled against an offensive juggernaut like the Hawks.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think they'd be doing that. They need a LW, either for the 2nd line or the 1st and King moves down. Clifford is not a top 6er and neither is anybody else that's been slotted there. If King is to remain on the 1st line, then then need a legit top 6 LW for Richards line. He's doing a great job mentoring TT and the more they play together they better that will be. But that line has a hole on the LW and it will be exposed in the playoffs.

I like the fact that there are talented kids in the farm system but with Vey and TT already here, I can't see DL carrying a third rookie when every point counts in a very competitive Division where as the year rolls down, you need veterans who know how to play in that pressure .

I agree. I'm getting kind of sick of watching Mike play with an asterisk of a LW. He and Toffoli got King going to begin with and now he's moved up and they are slotted with another guy to just fill the void. It can't be that hard to find someone to keep up with him and Toffoli. You don't need to be a superstar to do it.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not saying a trade is urgent and make a trade for the sake of making one, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the Kings are 21st in the league at even strength goals and are 20th in the league on the powerplay.

While they've been lighting up these Eastern Conference games, it is still a struggle for them to score in the West. Eight of the top 10 teams at even strength goals are in the West. While I'm not concerned about the defense preventing chances, I am concerned that if the opposition nets 3 or more goals or if the Kings get few powerplay opportunities and fail to capitalize on them.

My concerns stem from what we saw of this team in the playoffs this past season, how they struggled on the road, how dreadful the powerplay was, and how they struggled against an offensive juggernaut like the Hawks.

PP continues to be an issue. I can't figure out why it's so awful (and why the team with the best faceoff % in the NHL can't win them when their on the PP . That really staggers your effort to set up and they do it almost every PP).
They have videos, why can't they study the teams that are effective , that know how to move shoot and setup?
They seem to do the same stand and pass stuff...and the other team knows just were to play back. It's just baffling.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
the depth is bottom 6, not top 6

True that we have more bottom 6 depth, but isn't that the case with majority, if not all of nhl teams and not just the kings?

The way I look at it, we have top 6 guys in Richards and Toffoli who are currently playing on the bottom 6, so, I consider that depth. I also haven't discounted that later in the season, someone like Pearson may get another shot.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Agree to disagree then.

I can't see DL moving anything of real value when we have so many kids who can come up if needed and by the time the playoffs roll around we can add kids who were borderline NHLers that have now had another (or just an) full season on the farm.

We had King Nolan and VV when we won the cup so there is some precedence to show that when pressed we will play more kids. Adding a player at the deadline seems to be a fashionable thing to do but if we continue playing close to the same way we are now I can't see us adding anyone to the roster or the need to do so anyways.

Either way we should be looking good if we can get and remain healthy.

KingKopitar11*

Still hoping Vanek signs here haha. Even though it's highly unlikely

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
No big time Free agent wants to sign in the West.

You have to trade for one or develop them. Top Six players can pick and choose which teams they go to, they are going to pick the East.

I see Lombardi trying to pickup a Vet Defender and maybe a Vet Forward with Speed.

Depends on how many teams are out of the race come Feb/March.

Should be more teams this year, cause it's a full season. So more Sellers, last year was terrible due to very few sellers(short season).

Everyone paid a heavy price for mediocre last year. RR for two seconds....

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
If we make any trades, it'll be for a defenseman.

I agree. The way I see it our team can beat anyone in the west As Is, except the Hawks. And we're not going to outscore the Hawks no matter who we add, so we need to "D up" to beat them. I'm all for ponying up some assets to get a young(er) shutdown guy that will have a future with the org.

Not that we don't have enough defensmen btw we just need one more quality dman.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This draft I want to see the Kings land a guy that could replace Mitchell/Greene in the future.

The Pipeline is devoid of those type of guys. Gravel/Forbort are the only hopes.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
We need to pry Giordano away from the Flames. He would be an ideal 2nd pair D for Voynov to partner up with.

NO to both Jagr and Cammy.

I'd be open to Vanek but the price would not be something DL would pay.

Captain Chaos

vilLAin
Sep 8, 2005
In the vapor
If memory serves me correctly but was not the rap on Cammy was that he was a bit of a primmadona the first go round? His whole attitude just rubbed me the wrong way.

I would prefer Moulson. Or as someone suggested give Vey a shot.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
We all have been saying it. :naughty:

fp6ryw.jpg

p6nlz.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3