If the cap goes up to $80-82 million next year, should we go after Tavares if he hits UFA?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am convinced that the fastest way to take the next step (i.e. next year) is too sign JT. Strength up the middle wins Cups.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I am convinced that the fastest way to take the next step (i.e. next year) is too sign JT. Strength up the middle wins Cups.

It does beg the question of would Babcock be inclined to abandon line matching if he had the luxury of Matthews, Tavares, Kadri down the middle.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It does beg the question of would Babcock be inclined to abandon line matching if he had the luxury of Matthews, Tavares, Kadri down the middle.

No need to. Unless you turn Kadri's line into your prototypical checking line. Which would mean moving Hyman and Brown to his wings

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Every coach line matches in order to take advantage of the oppositions' weaknesses but with Matthews, Tavares, Kadri down the middle, I don't think babs loses any sleep worrying about it :)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I bet Mark Scheifele definitely wishes he'd asked for more money right about now. He's gotta be among the best bargains in the NHL.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
If he wants to sign here, you sign him. It would give us 3 #1 C's... That's impossible for other teams to match with.

If Kadri gets the other teams top line it would mean Tavares or Matthews get 3rd lines... Unbeatable.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
defense first. drew before john, but i doubt we'll get either. and i'm fine with that.

in 2 seasons

korshov-matthews-kapanen
marleau-nylander-marner
grundstrom-kadri-bracco/brown
hyman-?-/johnnson/leivo

4c either gauthier, brooks, altonen, or fa.

rielly-liljigren
dermott-gardiner
borgmann-zaitsev

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
You know what f*** it hell yeah

PaltryHastyHawk-max-1mb.gif

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So lets get this clear, it's the 2019/20 season(when matthews,marner kick in) that concerns folks when it comes to "making this all fit"

A safe estimate is a 85m cap for 2019/20 , heck some forecasts have it hitting 82m next season.

I have crunched the numbers and 32m tied up in the big 3 and JT fits just fine. Another 35m ish already tied up in 8 players = 67m.

Leaving 11 contracts to sign with 18/23m to do it with, depending how you view Hortons contract.

Thats tons of cap space.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Wouldn't have to with that much firepower.

All three can play a 200ft game so he could easily rotate them through and still dominate offensively. However, I'd imagine Kadri might get some of the harder defensive matchups to free up space for Tavares/Matthews to wreak havoc.

I'm certain the Leafs will make a proper run for him this offseason if Tavares is available.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
People who think that the salary cap going up means we can sign more expensive players are the same people who think that you will be more wealthy because minimum wage was increased.

Any increase in the cap just means every contract there after will be asking for slightly more money which will eat the cap increase. The have's and have not's of the NHL will remain the same.

When McDavid signed that dumbass contract, he didn't strike a blow for hockey players everywhere...all he did was take more money from the 3rd and 4th lines. That's it. When the minimum wage increases, all that's going to happen is the cost of living will increase and adjust accordingly to compensate. Milk will go up, gas will increase...rent...you don't get to keep that money.

Because of all this, the cap increasing or not increasing should have no effect on the decision to sign Taveres.

(we shouldn't)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
People who think that the salary cap going up means we can sign more expensive players are the same people who think that you will be more wealthy because minimum wage was increased.

Any increase in the cap just means every contract there after will be asking for slightly more money which will eat the cap increase. The have's and have not's of the NHL will remain the same.

When McDavid signed that dumbass contract, he didn't strike a blow for hockey players everywhere...all he did was take more money from the 3rd and 4th lines. That's it. When the minimum wage increases, all that's going to happen is the cost of living will increase and adjust accordingly to compensate. Milk will go up, gas will increase...rent...you don't get to keep that money.

Because of all this, the cap increasing or not increasing should have no effect on the decision to sign Taveres.

(we shouldn't)

wow, there is so much wrong in this post that it's not even worth my time to try and fix.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

(we shouldn't)

Sure but guys like Rielly, Kadri, and Andersen (core players) are already signed 3+ years using the lower cap. Even Zaitsev has inked a long-term deal through his prime.

Using your example, the Leafs bought 3 years+ worth of milk at the old price and it won't be expiring anytime soon.

This means you have a lot more money left over after signing the trio.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Sure but guys like Rielly, Kadri, and Andersen (core players) are already signed 3+ years using the lower cap. Even Zaitsev has inked a long-term deal through his prime.

Using your example, the Leafs bought 3 years+ worth of milk at the old price and it won't be expiring anytime soon.

This means you have a lot more money left over after signing the trio.

Again. EVERY YEAR you need to resign someone.

In our case, that's Matthews Marner and Nylander. A decision to keep JVR or pass on him...Gardiner.

All players looking to sign in and around the cap confirmed to increase will request the same percentage towards the cap as they were before.

The cap increase does nothing. It's a very short term relief fix. Long term? Nope.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Again. EVERY YEAR you need to resign someone.

In our case, that's Matthews Marner and Nylander. A decision to keep JVR or pass on him...Gardiner.

All players looking to sign in and around the cap confirmed to increase will request the same percentage towards the cap as they were before.

The cap increase does nothing. It's a very short term relief fix. Long term? Nope.

and again all sorts of dead wrong here

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
and again all sorts of dead wrong here

Yeah...uhm...no.

That's exactly how life works and the CBA agreement.

What? Did you think players were gonna be like "oh ok the cap has gone up but we individually don't feel that means our worth has gone up???"

Lol...You wanna explain why anyone in their right mind would keep their salaries the same knowing the cap is increased???

Let me guess...you are liberal.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah...uhm...no.

That's exactly how life works and the CBA agreement.

What? Did you think players were gonna be like "oh ok the cap has gone up but we individually don't feel that means our worth has gone up???"

Lol...You wanna explain why anyone in their right mind would keep their salaries the same knowing the cap is increased???

Let me guess...you are liberal.

HEH only a libtard would hand out raises because the cap increase and not due to what that player has earned or accomplished.

If they have earned the increase then they will get it, if not ummm nope they won't and right now, none of the 3 worth worrying about have earned that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
HEH only a libtard would hand out raises because the cap increase and not due to what that player has earned or accomplished.

If they have earned the increase then they will get it, if not ummm nope they won't and right now, none of the 3 worth worrying about have earned that.

LOL...that's not how it works fella.

The cap goes up and Matthews will demand his percentage that he was going to ask for before...the number changes based off of the cap number.

Instantly.

You raise the cap, and you raise the pay of all NHL players by the same percentage they are valued at right now.

This is a partnership with the players and the owners. And the players are not going to just let extra money sit idley by when they damn well know they can ask for it.

That's how this league works. Thinking that players are just going to negotiate their same valued number is the most asinine expectation I've ever read on this board.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Auston Matthews agent will not be talking about the contract amount McDavid/Eichel and others have. He will point to % of cap. That's real and it'll work against us in a rising salary cap world.

It won't be "Mcdavid makes 12.5 million..." that will be used as a measuring stick...it will be more like "McDavid rec'd 17% of the cap when he signed". It's a good situation when you already have guys signed like Kadri but not so good when you have to re-up.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Auston Matthews agent will not be talking about the contract amount McDavid/Eichel and others have. He will point to % of cap. That's real and it'll work against us in a rising salary cap world.

It won't be "Mcdavid makes 12.5 million..." that will be used as a measuring stick...it will be more like "McDavid rec'd 17% of the cap when he signed". It's a good situation when you already have guys signed like Kadri but not so good when you have to re-up.

Sure he can point to that all he want s. BUt for the millionth time its not how this works ovy was the highest paid winger until kane after the cap jumped like what 15-20 million? Same with maki

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Sure he can point to that all he want s. BUt for the millionth time its not how this works ovy was the highest paid winger until kane after the cap jumped like what 15-20 million? Same with maki

kane is a terrible example, so much of that had to do with the cup wins.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
LOL...that's not how it works fella.

The cap goes up and Matthews will demand his percentage that he was going to ask for before...the number changes based off of the cap number.

Instantly.

You raise the cap, and you raise the pay of all NHL players by the same percentage they are valued at right now.

This is a partnership with the players and the owners. And the players are not going to just let extra money sit idley by when they damn well know they can ask for it.

That's how this league works. Thinking that players are just going to negotiate their same valued number is the most asinine expectation I've ever read on this board.

Your spewing a lot of words that actually do not line up with what has been going on in the NHL. You can point to McDavids contract and i can point to Stamkos

i can point out landeskog at 5.5m cap hit signed in 2013 and Pastrnak for 6.6m in 2017 and can anyone argue that landeskog is the better player of the 2?

So 4 years later and being the better proven player only got Pastrnak 1.1m more.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

It's exactly how this works.

Did Eichel earn his 10 mil a year?

Did McDavid deserve more than Crosby for winning 1 f***ing scoring title?

You go out and you get what your worth. You don't let that worth be dictated to you. You get it.

And the owners will pay it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad