If the cap goes up to $80-82 million next year, should we go after Tavares if he hits UFA?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So your "plan" is **** will just work out?

If you want Tavares fine, but why not trying putting a plan together to at least look moderately informed on how the cap situation would work?

I just told you my plan above. Trade Marleau who has one year left or someone else if necessary.

I don’t need to go into detail, that’s not my job. All I need to know is superstars like Tavares don’t often hit the UFA market, let alone those from the GTA that are already partial to us and probably favorable to playing for the Leafs without us having to overpay. When you have that opportunity, you grab him and let our management sort out the cap.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
*Full Disclaimer: I know nothing about how the NHL Salary Cap works

If the Cap goes up to 80M next year and then 82M the year after, I don't think we'd be in that much of a problem.

For next year you could have:

zoC5sD0.png

So we'd have a lot of room to sign a cheap 4C and 6D as well as have room for a depth forward and a depth D (like Rosen?) Also switch around Kadri and Tavares in the lineup lol

The year after is a bit tighter but can still work, though it for sure means Gardiner walking, unless Marleau could be traded, also I don't know anything about the bonus situation:

M3MEYui.png

1.3 M to sign a 4C (I also just had Adam Brooks up as a depth guy, you can replace him with pretty much any Marlie forward). If Borgman continues developing this year and next, he'd be a fine Gardiner replacement, and hopefully Dermott and Lily are ready by then.

After that, Martin and Marleau are off the books, depending on how much Brown wants, we might not resign him, and the cap will continue to go up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
43% of your cap invested in 4 forwards...

What's that Babcock quote? It's fun, but it's stupid.

It’s techncially doable.

It would however mean that most of the other forward positions would have to be filled by bargain bin UFAs and cheap young guys (the Pens already more or less so this)

And it also means that the team would be able to spend more on defense.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just told you my plan above. Trade Marleau who has one year left or someone else if necessary.

I don’t need to go into detail, that’s not my job. All I need to know is superstars like Tavares don’t often hit the UFA market, let alone those from the GTA that are already partial to us and probably favorable to playing for the Leafs without us having to overpay. When you have that opportunity, you grab him and let our management sort out the cap.

And I told you, you can't trade him if he doesn't want to go

I've sat down and crunched the numbers, if you want Tavares one of Nylander/Marner needs to go for someone on a CHEAP deal, preferably an ECL

I don't care about where Tavares is from either, all I care about is how much? And who's going to fit him in

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Karlsson is better, would also be sweet to take one of our closest neighbour's players and win a cup with him.
Although that would be the sweetest thing to steal him from Ottawa, that ankle is a big worry for me and is why I'd rather Doughty. No doubt that if Karlsson & Doughty switched teams, they'd have the same # of Cup wins flipped

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I've sat down and crunched the numbers, if you want Tavares one of Nylander/Marner needs to go for someone on a CHEAP deal, preferably an ECL

I don't care about where Tavares is from either, all I care about is how much? And who's going to fit him in

When you crunched the numbers did that include the cap going to 80+ million because it sounds like it's going to 80+ million

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's got 20 points in 27 games and 60 points as a rookie last season

He's getting at least 6M, 5M is a pipe dream imo

Yeah.

Not to mention, even just a small scoring streak would put him on pace for what he put up last season.

He’s getting 6, and probably a bit more if he performs like he did during the latter half of the previous season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When you crunched the numbers did that include the cap going to 80+ million because it sounds like it's going to 80+ million

Salaries will rise as the cap goes up so you get the benefit if the kids were signed last off-season not this year if the cap jumps

Yeah.

Not to mention, even just a small scoring streak would put him on pace for what he put up last season.

He’s getting 6, and probably a bit more if he performs like he did during the latter half of the previous season.

My best case scenario is 6M-7M long term

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Salaries will rise as the cap goes up so you get the benefit if the kids were signed last off-season not this year if the cap jumps

My best case scenario is 6M-7M long term

I’m guessing 6.75 mil give or take 500k and how the rest of this season plays out for him offensively:

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Kapenen - Backlund - Nylander
Grundstrom - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Goat - Hyman
Johnnson

Reilly - John Carlson/Doughty
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Borgman- Dermott

Anderson
Pickard

Losing JVR might hurt the goal totlas but i feel this is more of a Babcock team. Young, fast, two-way forwards. Balanced lines. I left of Jake cause if you are adding a Carlson or Doughty i would think one of the top 4 currently would have to go. Once Hainsey is out i think Dermott would fill in the top 4 and eventually/hopefully Timmy as well.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

“... or someone else if necessary.”

For the third time.

I don’t care if you’ve crunched the numbers. You haven’t considered ways to move pieces to fit the roster.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
“... or someone else if necessary.”

For the third time.

I don’t care if you’ve crunched the numbers. You haven’t considered ways to move pieces to fit the roster.

So zero plan then or idea on how to make the cap work bar "management will sort it"

Awesome

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
header.jpg

Toronto Maple Leafs

Why it could work Hey, did you hear that John Tavares was born in Ontario and as such is required by law of the Toronto media to return to his place of origin to lead the Leafs to glory? Toronto has a Scrooge McDuck Money Bin of finances from which to pay Tavares, so no worries there -- especially since it could sign Tavares long-term and then fit the Connor McDavid-level payday due Auston Matthews in 2019 around that contract. There has also been speculation that Tavares would take a high-yield, short-term contract to win in Toronto, like he's Marian Hossa circa 2009.

Why it could not work Tavares would be arriving in Toronto right around the time the franchise shifts from the "belly rubs for the new puppy" stage to the "searing criticism unless they challenge for a Stanley Cup" stage in the media. This isn't a spotlight he wants or desires. And though any team would be improved by the presence of John Tavares, perhaps the Leafs would prefer to spend that money on an elite defenseman? Say, Drew Doughty is available in 2019 ... and he's from Ontario!

Looks real good in Blue and White :wg:

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad