Speculation: If Markstrom re-signs in Van, who is trading for Demko?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Why will his value never be higher? It was three games.

His value could skyrocket if he happens to continue his play into next season. He could become the legit starter he was taken to be. I think Vancouver would be absolutely batshit crazy to trade him without exhausting negotiations with Markstrom first.

I think the nhl has always been, what have you done for me lately.

perfeft example is the thousand of terrible contracts handed out when a guy is awful for 5 years but has a good contract year and teams go wild. Then are surprised when said player reverts to their trash landing.

3 stellar games with a solid amount of regular season games will attract teams especially those who require goaltending

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I assume the decision on who Vancouver is going with long term is made this off-season. As much as Vancouver would love to wait until next year, I strongly doubt Markstrom signs without a NMC. So they need to choose now. I think Markstrom is probably the proper call, but Canucks might not have the say in that.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’d be re-signing Markstrom and likely exposing him in the expansion draft. Buys us a year to confirm Demko is what he should be, it protects all of our other players from selection, and it gives us a trade chip at any point.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Markstrom likely doesn't sign anywhere that isn't offering him a NMC for the expansion draft. He's going to have a number of teams interested in him, someone will offer it.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Where's the guarantee Seattle would even take Markstrom? There will be plenty of younger and cheaper goaltenders available and I don't know if I'd be picking a 30 year old goalie signed to a presumably long and hefty contract. Maybe he struggles next season and the contract looks bad. Ideally the Canucks would sign him to a one year deal and protect Demko.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I think the nhl has always been, what have you done for me lately.

perfeft example is the thousand of terrible contracts handed out when a guy is awful for 5 years but has a good contract year and teams go wild. Then are surprised when said player reverts to their trash landing.

3 stellar games with a solid amount of regular season games will attract teams especially those who require goaltending
I think those who are swayed are casual fans who love the flavor of the week but the ones making the real decisions like professional hockey people will not be so easily swayed.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That deal was done prior to the the league and the players association reworking the CBA over the summer.

Though would that apply to the what he's suggesting?

Im not sure how Covid wrecks/complicates the schedule, but wouldn't the old CBA still be in effect until this season ends? So through the end of the playoffs and including the draft?

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Where's the guarantee Seattle would even take Markstrom? There will be plenty of younger and cheaper goaltenders available and I don't know if I'd be picking a 30 year old goalie signed to a presumably long and hefty contract. Maybe he struggles next season and the contract looks bad. Ideally the Canucks would sign him to a one year deal and protect Demko.
Why in the world would he sign a one year deal?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Though would that apply to the what he's suggesting?

Im not sure how Covid wrecks/complicates the schedule, but wouldn't the old CBA still be in effect until this season ends? So through the end of the playoffs and including the draft?
Any contract signed after the new CBA was ratified falls under the new rules. The new CBA was agreed upon in the midst of covid as part of the return to play. When the season ends has no bearing.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Why in the world would he sign a one year deal?
He wouldn’t. It’s just another Canuck fan fantasy like “Eriksson will retire once his bonus is paid out” or “Baertschi will agree to mutually terminate his contract”

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Vegas was gifted a multi time stanley cup winning goalie over 30 years of age. Markstrom must NOT have a NMC from the Canucks, if he does this GM has to go. You need to give Demko the chance to be a #1, he is way younger...and are top end talent is very young. What is a 35 year old Markstrom gonna be like when EP and QH are 25/26 and in their prime.

I am okay signing Markstrom as long as there is NO NMC so we can divide the games up more evenly next year and see how both goalies play

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Vegas was gifted a multi time stanley cup winning goalie over 30 years of age. Markstrom must NOT have a NMC from the Canucks, if he does this GM has to go. You need to give Demko the chance to be a #1, he is way younger...and are top end talent is very young. What is a 35 year old Markstrom gonna be like when EP and QH are 25/26 and in their prime.

I am okay signing Markstrom as long as there is NO NMC so we can divide the games up more evenly next year and see how both goalies play
If you’re Markstrom why would you sign anywhere that’s not willing to commit long term and offer expansion draft protection? If Vancouver won’t give it to him someone else will

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I hope Toronto would be after Demko of that's the case.

To Toronto-
Demko
Virtanen

To Vancouver-
Johnsson
2nd Round Pick

Gives Toronto a 1A 1B scenario with Demko playing 50 and Campbell playing 30. Also gives them a little bit more jam on the wrong with Virtanen.

Vancouver gets Johnsson who adds more skill then Virtanen and also a second round Pick in a pretty good draft

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

To Toronto-
Demko
Virtanen

To Vancouver-
Johnsson
2nd Round Pick

Gives Toronto a 1A 1B scenario with Demko playing 50 and Campbell playing 30. Also gives them a little bit more jam on the wrong with Virtanen.

Vancouver gets Johnsson who adds more skill then Virtanen and also a second round Pick in a pretty good draft

We have them up for grabs to clear cap space. Johnsson makes as much as Virtanen and Demko, with Virtanen's new contract, and we don't have room to play him. We have plenty of skill, and not enough of what Virtanen brings, who is already fairly skillful. Playing with much better players, and not being forced into a defensive role, Johnsson had a whopping 3 more points then Virtanen did. A 2nd round pick is not giving us any value either. Did you really think this through for Vancouver?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I cannot see Canucks making a deal for similar level forward to Virtanen (ie Johnsson offer above). Makes zero sense. If anything we will be clearing cap (take back some of our dead weight) or else we’d target a young D who “could” become a top 4.

Reactions: Cogburn

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

To Toronto-
Demko
Virtanen

To Vancouver-
Johnsson
2nd Round Pick

If the Canucks trade Demko, they will get far better offer than what you have here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad