Speculation: If Markstrom re-signs in Van, who is trading for Demko?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
If you're saying the market is flooded with goalies so much that every team has an elite goalie then I believe your wrong and there's not enough elite goalies in the world for every team to have one so the demand is their.

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
Yes. Seattle will be looking to win after a few years, not out of the gate. The Vegas run was outrageous and management admitted they didn’t expect it in Year 1. The value of Demko will significantly higher to an expansion team compared to any of the names you listed.
Plus Demko will probably be the best player that the canucks will leave exposed

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

I plan to revisit this post in a year. There is no chance Markstrom and Demko are still on the roster by the time the expansion comes around. A Demko trade will happen or Markstrom will walk in free agency. It’s a pointless loss of 1st round value to keep Demko on board until expansion. There are probably 5-10 teams that will make a solid offer for a goalie like Demko.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Go with Markstrom.

Demko is just not proven enough. Also, you kind of have to pick now. Keeping Markstrom means giving him a NMC, and in this cap environment that makes him untradeable, no matter what the NTC list is.

If you think Demko is the real deal, the best move is to sign him and then trade him later so Seattle doesn't pick him. If you aren't sure, the best move is to trade him now while his value is highest.

Crow

May 19, 2014
If Vancouver does trade one of the goalies, who does Seattle take? Is it possible that keeping Demko just to lose him could be smart, or are they not deep enough that they wouldn’t lose a similar value player that they need more?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Go with Markstrom.

Demko is just not proven enough. Also, you kind of have to pick now. Keeping Markstrom means giving him a NMC, and in this cap environment that makes him untradeable, no matter what the NTC list is.

If you think Demko is the real deal, the best move is to sign him and then trade him later so Seattle doesn't pick him. If you aren't sure, the best move is to trade him now while his value is highest.
Got to sign Marky though. Rick Dhaliwal (Local TSN radio insider) said this morning Benning has had more than a year to extend Marky, and nothing got even close.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Markstrom is gone in my book. If I were the Canucks, I would see if I could trade his rights to another team for a conditional 3rd + 7th draft pick, if Markstrom signs a new contract with that new team. If Markstrom walks then only a 7th.
Conditional picks based on the player re-signing are no longer permitted under the new CBA

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Got to sign Marky though. Rick Dhaliwal (Local TSN radio insider) said this morning Benning has had more than a year to extend Marky, and nothing got even close.
Markstrom stole all the leverage with his ramped up play though. And this is way different than Florida paying up for Bobrovsky because at least you know Markstrom will give Vezina level play with that group of guys.

Also it's very common for negotiations to go until the last minute. If Benning's stubborness saves even 500k cap space then it's worth it

Reactions: CanuckCity

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Markstrom stole all the leverage with his ramped up play though. And this is way different than Florida paying up for Bobrovsky because at least you know Markstrom will give Vezina level play with that group of guys.

Also it's very common for negotiations to go until the last minute. If Benning's stubborness saves even 500k cap space then it's worth it
You think that waiting and getting closer to UFA will save Benning money?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Keep Demko, use Markstrom's new contract $ savings to improve the D. Fire the PP coach, get some more speed and grit on the team, trade 2-3 of the bad contracts.

If Canucks had a core like Crosby's age or Chicago's then you keep Markstrom to try and win with them, Canucks core is 20-21 to mid 20s, you keep the G in that age group long term not the near over the hump 30 year old G.

I also have concerns over Markstrom's injuries and how his large frame will hold up into his mid 30s can he maintain being that agile and flexible...guy is tall and doesn't weigh in like a pencil like Ryan Miller.

Reactions: Grumpy1

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Because Seattle will be the newest team,I'm sure building there team with draft picks is what they will be wanting to do.You offer a draft pick and another player to them,not to pick Demko...Easy done...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You think that waiting and getting closer to UFA will save Benning money?
Absolutely. It is the nature of negotiation.

Benning has a low number. Markstrom's agent has a high number. Both have a "real" number somewhere in between. Benning's final compromise can't come until this process is almost over, because or else the agent will just use it as a new mark to push upwards.

And of course signing early just means giving up on all this pressure and just giving the player a higher number.

Of course this works better on RFAs, but I think this is something with UFAs as well. Also NHL vs NHLPA. Usually at the end is when the compromise happens.

I think Markstrom wants to stay in Vancouver. If there is a true final offer, and it is a bit low but not by a lot, I think Markstrom trumps his agent and signs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Absolutely. It is the nature of negotiation.

Benning has a low number. Markstrom's agent has a high number. Both have a "real" number somewhere in between. Benning's final compromise can't come until this process is almost over, because or else the agent will just use it as a new mark to push upwards.

And of course signing early just means giving up on all this pressure and just giving the player a higher number.

Of course this works better on RFAs, but I think this is something with UFAs as well. Also NHL vs NHLPA. Usually at the end is when the compromise happens.

I think Markstrom wants to stay in Vancouver. If there is a true final offer, and it is a bit low but not by a lot, I think Markstrom trumps his agent and signs.
This is pretty much completely wrong. You can't honestly think that reaching UFA status drives the price of players down? That's insane.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Because Seattle will be the newest team,I'm sure building there team with draft picks is what they will be wanting to do.You offer a draft pick and another player to them,not to pick Demko...Easy done...

A guy like Demko, it's potentially worthwhile for Seattle to do a pick and flip deal.

Someone is likely going to pay them more to take him and trade him than you are to keep him, knowing you're losing someone else if you pay Seattle to pass over Demko.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
No chance at all the Canucks leave Demko exposed. He will be dealt for a solid return before they lose him for nothing. Aside from Demko, the Canucks don't risk losing much in the expansion draft.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If Vancouver does trade one of the goalies, who does Seattle take? Is it possible that keeping Demko just to lose him could be smart, or are they not deep enough that they wouldn’t lose a similar value player that they need more?
The best player the Canucks will expose is Myers, whi Seattle may or may not take with 4 x 6 left. It is real slim pickings after that. No way the Canucks lose Demko for nothing when they can move him for a solid return. You are looking at guys like Rousel, Motte, Beagle as potential ED picks for Seattle.

Reactions: Crow

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Even if Markstrom re signs, Demko probably isn't moved this offseason. 2 reasons....keeping him could save your season if Markstrom gets hurt. Having a solid 1B ic huge, and Demko barley gets paid a million, having a cheap safety net is huge. Also, giving him 25% of whatever the amount of games is next year allows the Canucks to build more value than 3 playoff games provide.

Only way I see him getting dealt this off season is if someone offers to take 2 years of Loui Errikkson with no retention along with him, which is probably unlikely as that values at about 2 1sts.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ah yes, the Cory Schneider treatment. Only worth a late pick because he's a backup goalie, until he's traded for a top 10 pick, then it wasn't enough.

do we really need to compare schneiders stats and demkos stats lol?

and the guy you are replying to said he could get a 2nd. that isnt a late pick. stop trying to be a drama queen dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad