Speculation: If Markstrom re-signs in Van, who is trading for Demko?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Flat cap, a 24 yr old budding star goalie in making in Demko making 1 mil a year.

There has to be great value there.

If Markstrom signs in Vancouver this season, there's no way the Canucks will just let Demko be exposed and taken by Seattle. They will trade him.

Which team is interested and what do would you pay.

Jake Allen is 30 yrs old and is 4.5 mil on the cap and he returned a 3rd and a 7th

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He was up and down all season but was always touted as a blue chip prospect and is showing why now .
Who needs a goalie like Demko that can afford to take him and not worry about who to expose in the expansion draft ?
My Devils need a goalie to split games with Blackwood . A combo of Demko and Blackwood would be very nice moving forward , but not sure how much it would cost to trade for him.
What other teams can use Demko and be ok exposing their other goalie ?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Ah yes, the Cory Schneider treatment. Only worth a late pick because he's a backup goalie, until he's traded for a top 10 pick, then it wasn't enough.

Schneider had played nearly 100 games with Vezina caliber numbers when he was traded.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So what other team isn't protecting a goalie of substance in the ED? Also, all the UFA goalies this year make it hard to predict.

Last edited:

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
You pay markstrom short term and expose him instead

In theory yes but you run the risk of Markstrom asking for so much that his contract becomes nearly untradeable.

Suppose he convinces them to overpay and then he has a so-so year. How many contending teams at the trade deadline can fit a $6 million + starter into their cap structure unless they've had LTIR space come up?

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
In theory yes but you run the risk of Markstrom asking for so much that his contract becomes nearly untradeable.

Suppose he convinces them to overpay and then he has a so-so year. How many contending teams at the trade deadline can fit a $6 million + starter into their cap structure unless they've had LTIR space come up?

Sorry. Misread your post. I read "expose" as "trade at deadline".

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yup, and people still said he was only worth a 3rd or 4th up until he was moved.

That may be, but Demko going on a heater for 3 games doesn’t make him Schneider.

Not that I think Van has any interest in trading Demko to begin with, nor should they.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

You pay markstrom for 3 years and then if demko has a good year you expose markstrom...If u can't trade him. Better than not signing markstrom, or trading demko for beans and then seattle gets another player anyways. Or maybe u end up with a decent tandem after expansion cuz seattle goes with a different player.

This is the time to collect as many valuable assets under the cap as possible, so it won't sting as much when Seattle takes someone.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You pay markstrom for 3 years and then if demko has a good year you expose markstrom...If u can't trade him. Better than not signing markstrom, or trading demko for beans and then seattle gets another player anyways. Or maybe u end up with a decent tandem after expansion cuz seattle goes with a different player.

This is the time to collect as many valuable assets under the cap as possible, so it won't sting as much when Seattle takes someone.

Markstrom would know when signing that Vancouver is keeping both goalies. Would he demand a NMC in that case? I'm sure he could get a 3 year deal with expansion draft protections on a few teams. Seems like he would want some stability.

Haydn Fleury or Jake Bean + #53 Overall for Demko (or remove the #53 and add Sutter)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would also like to be one of the first to mention.
His regular season stats are not a pure clear indicator of how he played this year honestly.
So many goals were off fluke bounces, off a head a couple times, own goals and random deflections.
He stood on his head for so many games, it was silly.
He did struggle when Markstrom was out, and clearly seems to have learned a lot from that experience in the playoffs.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I have a lot of confidence in Demko, it’s not like he’s coming out of nowhere, he was highly touted in his draft year and has been great since. Im not sure the Canucks can realistically afford Markstrom at this point and Demko is showing he’s ready to take the next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad