Speculation: If Markstrom re-signs in Van, who is trading for Demko?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
It's not for nothing. The return is not having to pay anything to protect someone else.

If you know you're losing a goalie, you're only losing one asset instead of multiple assets to protect someone else. Plus you gain significant capspace on top of it if it is Markstrom.
Well the first thing you need to do is look at the list of unprotected layer the Canucks have. Outside of goaltending there isn’t much there that will hurt. You need to weigh a potential return on Demko, vs losing whichever player. If you lose a guy like motte the draft, but are able to get a 1st back for Demko, you obviously make that move.

the only real risk of the Canucks losing a key piece in the draft is in goal though in my eyes. Seattle may also look at Myers, which would hurt on the ice, but open up a bunch of cap room.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well the first thing you need to do is look at the list of unprotected layer the Canucks have. Outside of goaltending there isn’t much there that will hurt. You need to weigh a potential return on Demko, vs losing whichever player. If you lose a guy like motte the draft, but are able to get a 1st back for Demko, you obviously make that move.

the only real risk of the Canucks losing a key piece in the draft is in goal though in my eyes. Seattle may also look at Myers, which would hurt on the ice, but open up a bunch of cap room.

can the 8 skaters route have 2 goalies?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How about this:

To Canes: Demko, Virtanen

To Canucks: Fleury or Bean, NY Rangers 2nd, Mrazek @ 50% retained

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Bonehead move to sign Markstrom long term for big cap hit at age 30 when you have a much younger goalie who can grow and be a #1 for many years not just a few. Sign a decent back up goalie for 2 years to help insult Demko.

Use the cap savings to shore up the D
Markstrom is gone in my book. If I were the Canucks, I would see if I could trade his rights to another team for a conditional 3rd + 7th draft pick, if Markstrom signs a new contract with that new team. If Markstrom walks then only a 7th.

Reactions: axlrose87

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Michael Hutchinson has had a few hot streaks as well.
Let’s not blow a gasket here.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
How about this:

To Canes: Demko, Virtanen

To Canucks: Fleury or Bean, NY Rangers 2nd, Mrazek @ 50% retained
If either Demko or Virtanen are on the move, it is only to clear cap space. Virtanen would have to have Baertschi along with him. Can's see Demko getting dealt this season, if he is it will be before the expansion draft. There is no upside in trading him now, unless someone want 2 years of LE along with hm.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
can the 8 skaters route have 2 goalies?
As far as I know it is 7F, 3D, 1G, or 8 skaters and 1 D.

Eventually though it does not make sense to have an asset like Markstrom or Demko on the bench 55 games a year. I wouldn't see a situation where you would want to protect both or carry them both long term, one will need to be dealt. Makes a lot of sense to do after next season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Of course, fair point. The Canucks will have to make other moves to replace players, or resign Edler. We have a few young guys who will be ready to go, and also can pay to move the last year of LE. Point is that while it’s not perfect, it certainly isn’t the dire situation many make it out to be.

It never is all that bad. The worst thing that happens is a first round pick is used to escape the worst of it. In the scheme of things that isn’t crippling to a good team. Even then the good team can move a player to recoup the pick. Look at TOR. They moved Marleau but recouped the pick from PIT. The only issue for VAN will be if Benning can construct a good supporting roster after giving EP and QH their big paydays. That will include figuring out whether to pay Markstrom or just go with Demko. As a fan of any team that has the good problem of paying good players, at times players will get moved in trades at a discount but it won’t be the core players unless that player insists on leaving.. I don’t think that’s too controversial.

This playoff showed the good and bad for VAN. They have a great young core and an underrated piece in Horvat. They also lack depth and the defense needs an all situations minute muncher. I am going to guess that the average VAN fan lacks confidence in Benning to figure it all out but paying EP and QH is the easy part.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Markstrom is almost definitely going to hit the market.
It makes sense for the Canucks to roll with the younger, cheaper option. He is also a great talent and sure seems to be a gamer.
Conversely, it makes no sense for markstrom to sign with the Canucks unless demko is shipped out of town (which would be foolish). He is the crown jewel on the ufa goalie market. He will not sign a short contract and that is the only thing that makes sense for the canucks.
Someone like Dallas will be paying him big bucks (tax free big bucks).

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Why wouldn't Vancouver sign Markstrom and keep Demko and then expose Markstrom in the ED if Demko is ready.

If not, expose Demko in the ED.

Push the decision down the road a season.
But why does markstrom agree to this? He is going to agree to be exposed in an expansion draft?
Much more likely that he signs a contract with someone that includes a nmc

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Flat cap, a 24 yr old budding star goalie in making in Demko making 1 mil a year.

There has to be great value there.

If Markstrom signs in Vancouver this season, there's no way the Canucks will just let Demko be exposed and taken by Seattle. They will trade him.

Which team is interested and what do would you pay.

Jake Allen is 30 yrs old and is 4.5 mil on the cap and he returned a 3rd and a 7th
I really think GM's are getting smarter.

I hope they will want to see if Demko can actually keep up the play and is not just another goalie who had a heroic few games in a typical cinderella style that we've seen the last few year, before anyone spends any real assets for him and likewise before Vancouver gives up on Markstrom

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Have to treat players like assets....

Demko value will never be higher than it is right now. If you can get anything close to a 1st round pick then you do it....

Markstrom is a hell of a goalie but struggled to stay healthy down the stretch.... amid the covid loss of revenues maybe you get a bit of a discount.

My max on Markstrom is 4 years at 6 million. Can’t compete if a team goes nuts and offers him 8 mill or something.

I do like the idea of a Demko package with Virtanen and maybe a bad contract like Sutter to Carolina for a guy like Bean.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
It never is all that bad. The worst thing that happens is a first round pick is used to escape the worst of it. In the scheme of things that isn’t crippling to a good team. Even then the good team can move a player to recoup the pick. Look at TOR. They moved Marleau but recouped the pick from PIT. The only issue for VAN will be if Benning can construct a good supporting roster after giving EP and QH their big paydays. That will include figuring out whether to pay Markstrom or just go with Demko. As a fan of any team that has the good problem of paying good players, at times players will get moved in trades at a discount but it won’t be the core players unless that player insists on leaving.. I don’t think that’s too controversial.

This playoff showed the good and bad for VAN. They have a great young core and an underrated piece in Horvat. They also lack depth and the defense needs an all situations minute muncher. I am going to guess that the average VAN fan lacks confidence in Benning to figure it all out but paying EP and QH is the easy part.
I agree with all of your points here, but will say that I am 1000% on board with what Benning is building, and have full confidence in his ability to get this team to the next level. He has been lights out the past two years in the moves he has made, which is pretty much since Linden left. I don't think that is a coincidence.

Reactions: My3Sons

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I believe the only way the Canucks trade Demko is if they get a massive overpayment. But I think they should wait for the next deadline to decide between he and Markstrom. But I'd easily go with Demko today.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
If you have guys like Raanta, Murray, Halak, and Allen probably exposed in the ED, do you honestly think Seattle would rather have Demko after a handful of great games vs. seasons' worth of good games from the others?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If you have guys like Raanta, Murray, Halak, and Allen probably exposed in the ED, do you honestly think Seattle would rather have Demko after a handful of great games vs. seasons' worth of good games from the others?

Yes. Seattle will be looking to win after a few years, not out of the gate. The Vegas run was outrageous and management admitted they didn’t expect it in Year 1. The value of Demko will significantly higher to an expansion team compared to any of the names you listed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I agree with all of your points here, but will say that I am 1000% on board with what Benning is building, and have full confidence in his ability to get this team to the next level. He has been lights out the past two years in the moves he has made, which is pretty much since Linden left. I don't think that is a coincidence.

It was a nice coming out party for VAN this playoff. Demko added to QH and EP and BB and BH is a nice core of players. I’d keep Boeser (are there real rumors they might move him or is that just an HF narrative I’ve seen pop up?) and find some way to get a two way partner for QH. That’s the team you keep together and fit everything else around them and if it means Markstrom Tanev Virtanen and whoever else have to go so be it. Accept that you pay your core guys and can’t build a team with tons of depth. Add bargain UFAs on shorter deals where necessary and continue drafting well.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Have to treat players like assets....

Demko value will never be higher than it is right now. If you can get anything close to a 1st round pick then you do it....

Markstrom is a hell of a goalie but struggled to stay healthy down the stretch.... amid the covid loss of revenues maybe you get a bit of a discount.

My max on Markstrom is 4 years at 6 million. Can’t compete if a team goes nuts and offers him 8 mill or something.

I do like the idea of a Demko package with Virtanen and maybe a bad contract like Sutter to Carolina for a guy like Bean.
Why will his value never be higher? It was three games.

His value could skyrocket if he happens to continue his play into next season. He could become the legit starter he was taken to be. I think Vancouver would be absolutely batshit crazy to trade him without exhausting negotiations with Markstrom first.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Deja vu, Luongo Schneider all over again. Only difference is Markstrom is UFA and Luongo was untradeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad