Friedman: "If I'm the Edmonton Oilers, I'm calling the Montreal Canadiens and asking for Max Pacioretty"

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If you trade RNH or any other big asset then I feel like you have to acquire a younger U-25 winger who can score and is fast. Pacioretty can score but he's not that fast and he's not that young.

You don't get a billion chances to get Connor McDavid a good complementary winger.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Go big:

To MTL: Lucic, Klefbom, Russell
To EDM: Weber, Pacioretty

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Pacioretty being a better player isn't the deciding factor . The need Montreal have for a center is what is most important. Pacioretty who's soon 29 yr playing him with McDavid would be exactly what Edmonton needs to free up Draisaitl to center his own line... Nugent Hopkins will only be 25 at the end of the season and would be at worst Montreal # 2 center ... Montreal need to make this trade if Nugent Hopkins becomes available

I'm probably the biggest Pacioretty hater on the Habs board and even I know that Pacioretty is better than RNH by a fair margain. Not barely as you say. That's rediculous.

You're completely overating Nuge here. He's a 40 point player playing on Montreal. He was a 50 point player on Edmonton for most of his career, and his numbers have dropped off into the 40 point range over the last two seasons. You really think he becomes any more productive on Montreal? Please.

Montreal would have to be nuts to trade one of the most productive LWs in the NHL over the last 4 seasons who is on one of the best contracts in the league for a 40 point second line center. He's not 'at worst a 2nd line center. He's a 2nd line center. He will never be a top line center. Ever.

Either package Pacioretty up with other assets and actually go for a #1C, or you trade him for a blue chip prospect and a pick for the rebuild. This team is dead in the water, and RNH as a 2nd line center doesn't change that. By making that trade all you're doing is trading a better player for a lesser player.

Huge. Pass.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Go big:

To MTL: Lucic, Klefbom, Russell
To EDM: Weber, Pacioretty
I dont think either team want to involve Lucic in a deal like that and this is kind of too complicated...

keep it simple

Jesse Puljujärvi + Roster Player/Cap Dump + 1st/2nd

Max Pacioretty

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath. There's no chance Edmonton would be adding an A/B prospect+1st.
Pacioretty is 30 + goals playing with average centers . I have to believe that's worth Nugent Hopkins and maybe a 1st rd pick Edmonton shouldn't give more than that though.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd be up for a RNH+(say a 1st/2nd/prospect like Jones) for Patches swap.

Maroon-McDavid-Pacioretty
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome/Kassian/Slepy

... is a well balenced top 6.

RNH gets put in a feature offensive role, which is what he needs. I've got zero doubt he would do well in Montreal.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I'm probably the biggest Pacioretty hater on the Habs board and even I know that Pacioretty is better than RNH by a fair margain. Not barely as you say. That's rediculous.

You're completely overating Nuge here. He's a 40 point player playing on Montreal. He was a 50 point player on Edmonton for most of his career, and his numbers have dropped off into the 40 point range over the last two seasons. You really think he becomes any more productive on Montreal? Please.

Montreal would have to be nuts to trade one of the most productive LWs in the NHL over the last 4 seasons who is on one of the best contracts in the league for a 40 point second line center. He's not 'at worst a 2nd line center. He's a 2nd line center. He will never be a top line center. Ever.

Either package Pacioretty up with other assets and actually go for a #1C, or you trade him for a blue chip prospect and a pick for the rebuild. This team is dead in the water, and RNH as a 2nd line center doesn't change that. By making that trade all you're doing is trading a better player for a lesser player.

Huge. Pass.

Pacioretty does not get Montreal a better center than Nugent Hopkins .. No team will ever offer #1 center for Pacioretty even if Montreal adds Montreal wouldn't decline Pacioretty for Nugent Hopkins . Pacioretty is quickly becoming overrated.

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
As an outsider, I think Pacioretty for RNH with a minor addition from Edmonton is a pretty fair trade.

RNH is overpaid at $6M and has 4 years remaining (including 2017-18) on his contract, has not lived up to expectations and is known to play somewhat soft. But he's also only 24 years old, a Centre and has good vision and a nice set of hands. He could thrive without the expectation of being the #1 and a couple of big wingers who can skate.

Pacioretty has an affordable contract at $4.5M for the next 2 years (including this) and has been a consistent scorer who hasn't scored less than 30 goals in a full season since his 2nd year in the league. On McDavid or Draisaitl's wing he could be deadly. But he is 28 years old and a UFA in 2 years.

Reasons this works - Habs lack play makers at C and some of their core (Plekanec, Weber, Price) are aging out quickly. RNH, will never put up the numbers Patches has, but without a better transitional game (puck moving D and play making C) Patches may not put up those numbers again. RNH could also allow MTL to move Drouin back to the Wing, where he is probably better suited and balance out their attack. But they still need a better puck mover on D than Weber/Alzner/Petry or what ever they have back there. For Edmonton, it's all about NOW. With the Drake Caggiula and Kailer Yamamoto developing well, they can probably do without RNH and would achieve greater balance and scoring depth by moving Draisaitl to C on the 2nd line. Additionally, Edmonton HAS to move contracts by the summer to make room for McDavid's massive extension.

Reasons not to do it. For MTL, Nugent-Hopkins is another tweener. Do you give up a perennial 30 goal scorer on an affordable contract for a C who has not carried a line and has never put up more than 56 points / 24 goals - at $6M per for 4 years? For EDM - patience young jedi - Puljujarvi is only 19 years old and could be as good or better than Pacioretty for much longer. Also - Patches hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far this season, but 8 games isn't really a trend.

Reactions: Yemeth

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd be up for a RNH+(say a 1st/2nd/prospect like Jones) for Patches swap.

Maroon-McDavid-Pacioretty
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome/Kassian/Slepy

... is a well balenced top 6.

RNH gets put in a feature offensive role, which is what he needs. I've got zero doubt he would do well in Montreal.

It also leaves our bottom six a tire fire the likes of which could be seen from space, and also means no more McDavid+Drai magic. That's the real crux of a potential RNH move. He's a good 2C - that's playing pretty well this year I might add, including a huge improvement in faceoffs - but losing him either means we can't put Drai with McDavid ever again, or we get to witness Mark Letestu or Strome as a 2C

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
As an Oilers fan I would do it, they're going to have to move RNH anyways. Patches makes 4.5 which is really nice

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If you trade RNH or any other big asset then I feel like you have to acquire a younger U-25 winger who can score and is fast. Pacioretty can score but he's not that fast and he's not that young.

You don't get a billion chances to get Connor McDavid a good complementary winger.
Pacioretty is very fast. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he isn't.

Reactions: dralaf and HOPE

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pacioretty is 30 + goals playing with average centers . I have to believe that's worth Nugent Hopkins and maybe a 1st rd pick Edmonton shouldn't give more than that though.

And that's why he has 1 goal and 1 point in 8 games? You can believe he's worth RNH+ all you want... but that doesn't make it true. At the end of the day, it's still an issue of an underperforming winger and you're trying to trade him for a young #2 center.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Trade Eberle for a depth forward.

Trade quality pieces to replace Eberle with a slightly better Eberle.

I mean, I get that the Oilers need Patches, but where was the pro scouting on Strome?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad