I'd probably quit watching hockey if they banned fighting

Blue Regime

Nov 15, 2008
Groton, CT
Only on these boards is the fighting debate even relevant. Go ask any casual fan about their opinion on fighting in hockey. And remember casual fans make up the overwhelming majority of any fanbase.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I prefer hockey with fighting, the more so the spur of the moment, passionate fights that break out between two non-enforcers than the staged fights between enforcers. I definitely wouldn't quit watching hockey without fighting, I love the sport in general and the fighting is just a small part of it. There's minimal fighting in the Olympics, WJCs, and even in the NHL playoffs, and it's still a fantastic sport to watch.

Apr 6, 2011
Only on these boards is the fighting debate even relevant. Go ask any casual fan about their opinion on fighting in hockey. And remember casual fans make up the overwhelming majority of any fanbase.

The fighting debate is almost the only thing relevant to hockey for casual fans. Either they think it makes the sport look barbarian and dumb, or they will watch a game only for the fight. Or a combination of both.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
:laugh::laugh:

People still buy into this dreck?

I'd hazard a guess that most of the civilized world thinks fist-fighting is a stupid and pointless display of machismo so that insecure people can settle disputes that they're otherwise not smart and/or articulate enough to.

When I see two guys fighting outside a bar, I don't think "wow! that guy is a 'real man' fighting for honor and courage!". I think "wow! what an idiot"

It used to be that guys fighting to the death, or fighting bears/lions was the height of "masculinity".

Fighting still exists in hockey because there are enough blood-thirsty, insecure fans who need their fill of violence and bravado. That will continue to change as more people open their eyes to how pointless and dangerous fighting is to the players and sport itself. I'd guess that within 15 years (maybe much sooner), fighting is strongly discouraged (if not banned outright) by suspensions and/or automatic game-misconduct penalties.

There's simply no need for it in the game. The average person isn't going to get turned onto hockey for the 30 seconds of fighting which might or might not occur in a game. If a non-hockey fan is truly that bloodthirsty and/or enjoys combat that much, he/she will watch a combat sport. As CTE and other brain issues become more well-known, the non-hockey fan is more likely to be turned off of hockey than turned on by the fighting.

As for the "wussification" of hockey and how it will hurt the sport - look at the NFL. They get roundly criticized for "wussifying" their game by trying to eliminate dangerous hits - yet the game is more popular and profitable than ever. The idea that "softening" a sport will lead to its downfall or a reduction in popularity is total nonsense.

In addition the amount of skill displayed in a hockey fight is pretty low compared to said combat sports. It's not even near the level of an amateur boxing match, much less pro boxing, MMA or K-1. And yeah, pretty short. To me it's entertainment value is pretty limited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad