OT: Ian Cole under investigation by the NHL | Suspended by Lightning | 10/15: NHL "finds no evidence to support anonymous allegations"

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
i mean whether or not you choose to believe the tweet, it mentions his braggadocio regarding sexual conquests, and a general misogynistic demeanor. i believe some due diligence prior to signing him would have opened up some moral flaws.
Based on what we know now this does not appear to be a due diligence failure. I have not seen a shred of evidence that the alleged victim was on anyone's radar screen at all until the tweet. Was JBB supposed to preemptively canvas all the high schools in the Raleigh area?

Last edited:

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah Cole slept with one of the hottest ladies in the South while a Hurricane. I seriously don't know how it happened as Cole is not the most handsome man alive. Does that make these allegations from a anonymous source true? The detail in the tweet is not evidence as I used to write for the Penthouse Forum as a 15 year old and I had no sexual experience. Cole is currently one of the leagues top 4 plus defensemen. If these allegations are false I would suspect the Tampa defense would be better off with him for the low price of 3 million.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Based on what we know now this does not appear to be a due diligence failure. I have not seen a shred of evidence that the alleged victim was on anyone's radar screen at all until the tweet. Was JBB supposed to preemptively canvas all the high schools in the Raleigh area?
well, that would be dumb, since it didn't happen in Raleigh. so no, but you could ask all his ex-teammates, coaches, other peers, almost like a reference, for a job. which, as far as i know, wasn't done. but i guess the rabbit hole could also get deep and no one would say anything bad about him.

and the affair did happen, it was not contested. and while rape ≠ affair, it definitely calls into question his character.

this conversation is getting awfully close to victim blaming and "i'm not a racist, but..." type posting in here, which is gross. so i'm not going to continue arguing it. so i'll just end by saying; ian cole is ugly, not that good, and played for colorado. GUILTY

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
well, that would be dumb, since it didn't happen in Raleigh. so no, but you could ask all his ex-teammates, coaches, other peers, almost like a reference, for a job. which, as far as i know, wasn't done. but i guess the rabbit hole could also get deep and no one would say anything bad about him.

and the affair did happen, it was not contested. and while rape ≠ affair, it definitely calls into question his character.

this conversation is getting awfully close to victim blaming and "i'm not a racist, but..." type posting in here, which is gross. so i'm not going to continue arguing it. so i'll just end by saying; ian cole is ugly, not that good, and played for colorado. GUILTY
Only one person that I can see has even tangentially dipped their idiotic toe even remotely into the victim shaming waters so painting this thread with that broad brush is not remotely accurate. Every other poster that I've read believes that if Cole is guilty of what is alleged he should hang for it (metaphorically speaking).

As for your comments regarding due diligence you act as though Ian Cole was a closed book around the NHL. He's been in the league for 12 years and any player who has been around that long is not unknown to the rest of the league and yet no team has hesitated from signing him. Now it seems that he may have crossed a line that he had not previously crossed. If so, he should pay the price but finding fault with JBB for the signing is foolish.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
i mean whether or not you choose to believe the tweet, it mentions his braggadocio regarding sexual conquests, and a general misogynistic demeanor. i believe some due diligence prior to signing him would have opened up some moral flaws.
Huh?

If the alarm needs to be sounded due to those things then you might as well shut down the league - and all sports for that matter.

The allegations in the tweet and the things you mentioned above are way different. 99% of dudes that aren't complete hermits have bragged about sex or have displayed "general misogynistic demeanor" in their youth.

The idea that the Lightning front office shouldn't hire professional hockey players because they've acted like a typical jock is ridiculous.

Again, let me be clear: the allegations in the tweet are a different story. But there was no way anyone from the Lightning would have known that. She even said it herself in the tweet.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Huh?

If the alarm needs to be sounded due to those things then you might as well shut down the league - and all sports for that matter.

The allegations in the tweet and the things you mentioned above are way different. 99% of dudes that aren't complete hermits have bragged about sex or have displayed "general misogynistic demeanor" in their youth.

The idea that the Lightning front office shouldn't hire professional hockey players because they've acted like a typical jock is ridiculous.

Again, let me be clear: the allegations in the tweet are a different story. But there was no way anyone from the Lightning would have known that. She even said it herself in the tweet.
If it is really a she. Let the investigation begin! No matter what we will all be surprised.

Reactions: frankiess

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He's been in the league for 12 years and any player who has been around that long is not unknown to the rest of the league and yet no team has hesitated from signing him.

He just signed a 1-year deal at a 30% pay cut. That could be his age, or it could be that he's damaged goods around the league.

There's too little info either way to say whether JBB screwed up. This is clearly a guy who makes bad decisions, sexually, and that's a big red flag. I'm inclined to give JBB the benefit of the doubt that he did the extra recon warranted by the cheating with a reporter, but in any case he knew he was taking on some risk with this guy.

In any event, let's wait and see what else comes out.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Why because someone lobs an accusation at him through social media? f*** that. Bolts should let him play until there’s actual proof of wrongdoing.

There's clearly more legs to the accusation than it just being a random tweet. That statement was carefully crafted by a lawyer, and the Lightning felt that there was some legitimacy to it.

He's getting paid, it's only the beginning of the season, he can deal with it. The Lightning are a business and have a right to manage their perception as they see fit. It would have been a massive distraction if he was with the team.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There's clearly more legs to the accusation than it just being a random tweet. That statement was carefully crafted by a lawyer, and the Lightning felt that there was some legitimacy to it.

He's getting paid, it's only the beginning of the season, he can deal with it. The Lightning are a business and have a right to manage their perception as they see fit. It would have been a massive distraction if he was with the team.
Suspending Cole (IMO) is more about both taking the accusation seriously, in addition to satisfying the paying customers who want something done.

We just got the guy on a one-year deal, so it's not like he's earned loyalty.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Unless there is a strong case that this is all completely fabricated, he is done as an NHL player.

I don't think it's fair to management to talk about a due diligence failure, but the affair thing rubbed me the wrong way and I was a little surprised we signed him.

Reactions: ultra63

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
He did end a potential marriage. I remember reading the post of the fiancé when he found about her fling with Cole. It was right before their marriage. Just pointing that out because he did upset a lot of people. So there could be that angle of someone trying to make his life miserable

Sustrcarry

Apr 28, 2018
He did end a potential marriage. I remember reading the post of the fiancé when he found about her fling with Cole. It was right before their marriage. Just pointing that out because he did upset a lot of people. So there could be that angle of someone trying to make his life miserable
Well that might have been blessing in disguise for the fiance. He dodged a bullet.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

I would say too we're not the only ones tied into this thing. The Kyle Beach abuse scandal to start last season was not only handled terribly throughout, but even after, Bettman and the league did a horrible job in damage control. Optics not only by fans, but sponsors and league partners were not great. So this is as much about us handling our own business as it is the NHL trying to prove again it takes these things seriously, can act accordingly, and be trusted with a new investigation. And then you have the accusations that this happened while he was a member of another NHL team, and some teammates of that time knew. If that is St. Louis, a really well run organization imo, they will be interested in getting to the bottom of this as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I would say too we're not the only ones tied into this thing. The Kyle Beach abuse scandal to start last season was not only handled terribly throughout, but even after, Bettman and the league did a horrible job in damage control. Optics not only by fans, but sponsors and league partners were not great. So this is as much about us handling our own business as it is the NHL trying to prove again it takes these things seriously, can act accordingly, and be trusted with a new investigation. And then you have the accusations that this happened while he was a member of another NHL team, and some teammates of that time knew. If that is St. Louis, a really well run organization imo, they will be interested in getting to the bottom of this as well.
A good example is Hockey Canada. Pretty much until the facts are out, there is already a real ugly cloud on hockey that is pushing advertisers out. While the Hockey Canada scandal stuff has been proven to be true, the optics on Cole is bad right now whether its true or false.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The timing of this is very suspect to me. Just last week the Bolts played the Panthers and I am pretty sure Abby Laber was working for the Panthers. To the point that I looked to see if I could find confirmation. Additionally if Cole ( who is married ) stayed with his family and jilted Labar...who knows. Also the ex fiance might have some motivation to trash Cole as well. Maybe Cole was always talking about young girls and sex but I never heard anything like that over his NHL career. As far has the tweet being written by a lawyer I saw no evidence of that. A tell could be the part of the " school uniform ". Cole is a Notre Dame grad and this raised my eyebrows.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
If he had any sense at all he'd let a lawyer do all the talking for him, anything else will be a bad look.

Don't know what to make of this. Its absolutely awful but I don't even know how you'd check this stuff before? I hope for the sake of being a decent human that none of this is true but really he'd be just one of many, many pro athletes guilty of seedy shit like this.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If he had any sense at all he'd let a lawyer do all the talking for him, anything else will be a bad look.

Don't know what to make of this. Its absolutely awful but I don't even know how you'd check this stuff before? I hope for the sake of being a decent human that none of this is true but really he'd be just one of many, many pro athletes guilty of seedy shit like this.
Thats why you let people with a lot on the line (Lightning, NHL) do the investigation and wait to pass judgement. If they find something they aren't gonna sweep anything under the rug for Ian f***ing Cole lol

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The accusation may have ended his career regardless of how credible it is, you're talking about a major distraction following the team because of a bottom 6 defenseman. It's not fair but that's social dynamics in 2022

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
nth9p.jpg

what a poof

great signing

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The accusation may have ended his career regardless of how credible it is, you're talking about a major distraction following the team because of a bottom 6 defenseman. It's not fair but that's social dynamics in 2022
So if it is true cut him and let LE do their jobs. I don't know the laws and statue of limitations in that state. I have no idea about the situation other than the tweet I read here and an allegation was made. I also don't want him to be a distraction for our team. I think we can handle ourselves as a team until we get an answer. I know things like this take time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad