OT: Ian Cole under investigation by the NHL | Suspended by Lightning | 10/15: NHL "finds no evidence to support anonymous allegations"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't wanna see the guilty get off scott free, but an anonymous accusation is lame. Anyone could be the victim of that type of accusation.
Kyle Beach's story is telling of how a victim feels and I understand why this victim would remain anonymous. After hearing it I find myself praying the person is lying because no one NO ONE deserves that to happen to them. Not that athletes deserve to be slandered like that either. It's just that having a horror story recounted as to how it happens makes me wish such things could only be imagined

I'm heartbroken to think more victims could be coming forward soon

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Technically it would remove $3m from the cap, which means we are using all of Seabrook's LTIR relief. Technically we could get someone else on short notice, but there really isn't anyone out there to get? Get slow Stralman? Like there really isn't anyone left.

Only thing I can think of is a Nic Hague offer sheet for $2.1M, which would cost us a 3rd.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Kyle Beach's story is telling of how a victim feels and I understand why this victim would remain anonymous. After hearing it I find myself praying the person is lying because no one NO ONE deserves that to happen to them. Not that athletes deserve to be slandered like that either. It's just that having a horror story recounted as to how it happens makes me wish such things could only be imagined

I'm heartbroken to think more victims could be coming forward soon
The whole handling of the Kyle Beach saga makes me hesitant to trust the NHL on something like this. There were so many missteps. I also can't help but feel that a necessary evil of that whole process was Beach coming out on live tv as John Doe 1 even after the independent investigation was made public and told us everything we needed to know.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The whole handling of the Kyle Beach saga makes me hesitant to trust the NHL on something like this. There were so many missteps. I also can't help but feel that a necessary evil of that whole process was Beach coming out on live tv as John Doe 1 even after the independent investigation was made public and told us everything we needed to know.
The system is broken. This is a chance to fix it should Cole's accusations be proven. I don't want to find out some poor girl who was probably something like 16 was abused like that. It's monstrous. But what does ANYONE have to gain making these claims if they aren't true? Beach will go down as a hero in my book for giving us a face vs an anonymous source. If this woman actually came out too after a proven investigation there's gonna be a tidal wave of reform. It can't come soon enough regardless of Cole's innocence.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If this were some guy with a stellar reputation, maybe we take a wait and see what happens approach. Cole's reputation makes you think "where there's smoke..."

This was entirely avoidable. I just dont get so much of what we did this off season, and bringing in a guy with major red flags to play a fringe role... well, it blew up in our face.

Glad the organization acted quickly. But I don't get why we took a chance on this guy.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Technically it would remove $3m from the cap, which means we are using all of Seabrook's LTIR relief. Technically we could get someone else on short notice, but there really isn't anyone out there to get? Get slow Stralman? Like there really isn't anyone left.

Grigori Dronov

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The system is broken. This is a chance to fix it should Cole's accusations be proven. I don't want to find out some poor girl who was probably something like 16 was abused like that. It's monstrous. But what does ANYONE have to gain making these claims if they aren't true? Beach will go down as a hero in my book for giving us a face vs an anonymous source. If this woman actually came out too after a proven investigation there's gonna be a tidal wave of reform. It can't come soon enough regardless of Cole's innocence.
I mean it could be one of the people he hurt with his previous affair making these accusations anonymously so they'd have something to gain from a vengeance angle. Not that I believe that because I have a hard time giving Cole any benefit of the doubt.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If this were some guy with a stellar reputation, maybe we take a wait and see what happens approach. Cole's reputation makes you think "where there's smoke..."

This was entirely avoidable. I just dont get so much of what we did this off season, and bringing in a guy with major red flags to play a fringe role... well, it blew up in our face.

Glad the organization acted quickly. But I don't get why we took a chance on this guy.

The amount of detail makes this look legit, it should be pretty quick and easy for the NHL to investigate.

Having said that, I've seen some really detailed and believable stories on the internet that were just well done fakes. Cole already has a bit of a meme internet reputation because of his sleaziness, he would definitely be a target.

We will know soon

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
What sucks mainly about this is bc we don't have cap space relief much. The nhlpa will fight this tooth and nail probably. We are the first game of opening night so we will have the spotlight on us and everyone will talk to us about this situation.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean it could be one of the people he hurt with his previous affair making these accusations anonymously so they'd have something to gain from a vengeance angle. Not that I believe that because I have a hard time giving Cole any benefit of the doubt.
I briefly considered that but having gone through my own crap -not this thank God, but it comes from that Cole could have stopped it at any time and the system would not have. I'm not gonna get into the gory details but an individual purposely destroyed my family and purposely made my ex's drug addition worse. He killed himself years ago and I'm still mad because I could have done anything and it wouldn't have mattered. People who intend to harm will find any way they can to do it

Reactions: Hoek

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
If this guy did what he is accused of then he should be out, no question. Done.

But the hand-wringing, self-righteousness over the fact that an NHL player had a previous affair, whether with a reporter or anyone else, give me a f**king break. If that were the standard for professional athletes as to whether to sign them or not, well, I won't go so far as to say no one would ever get signed, but the pickings would be a hell of a lot thinner. They occupy a world most of us don't have a clue about.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
If this guy did what he is accused of then he should be out, no question. Done.

But the hand-wringing, self-righteousness over the fact that an NHL player had a previous affair, whether with a reporter or anyone else, give me a f**king break. If that were the standard for professional athletes as to whether to sign them or not, well, I won't go so far as to say no one would ever get signed, but the pickings would be a hell of a lot thinner. They occupy a world most of us don't have a clue about.
i mean character and culture are important. ask any of us that posted during the OK* years.

*ownership group, not rating. years were shit

Reactions: Stammertime91

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
i mean character and culture are important. ask any of us that posted during the OK* years.

*ownership group, not rating. years were shit
Of course they are, but let's not all live in an alternate universe where pro athletes who step out on occasion are an extreme rarity or are necessarily cancers in the room. And again, I want to be clear, I am not in any way defending Ian Cole if he is guilty of what has been alleged, but at the same time I find it borderline funny the mention of an affair as a sort of a precursor to criminal behavior. One has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: berlin

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo

What were the major red flags? Besides the affair.

Reactions: Bartleby

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I’m just genuinely curious if there’s something else. An affair and rape arent even in the same ballpark.
i mean whether or not you choose to believe the tweet, it mentions his braggadocio regarding sexual conquests, and a general misogynistic demeanor. i believe some due diligence prior to signing him would have opened up some moral flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad