Confirmed with Link: Ian Cole Traded To Columbus

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Wut

I think most predicted a 3rd rounder for a bottom pairing guy

Considering that Brandon Davidson netted a 3rd round pick...

Cole >> Davidson

Cole should’ve fetched a 2nd and a B/C prospect such as Moutrey.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is why, in theory, you should have a full staff around you - as the GM, you need to triage what is important, and delegate negotiating the smaller deals to other people in the room you trust.

This was obviously a Randy Lee deal. A very Randy Lee type player was acquired as part of this deal, part of the reason Belleville is such a disaster.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Just to get the deal done. It may not be ideal, but it's still an asset. I haven't followed the Cole trade chatter, so I have no idea if any other teams wanted him or not. Perhaps there was no other interest.
There were other teams in on him, WPG was specifically mentioned and undoubtedly others as well. Vet dmen always have interest around this time, even moreso if you got intangibles and/or a cup

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I'll trade you your house right now for my house in 3 years.
What you just said has nothing to do with value and more about convenience. My thoughts immediately went to "you'll trade for my house $300k house right now and I get your $600k house in 3 years?" Done!!! Where do I sign?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
There were other teams in on him, WPG was specifically mentioned and undoubtedly others as well. Vet dmen always have interest around this time, even moreso if you got intangibles and/or a cup

So did Dorion just tell Winnipeg he didn't want to hear their offer, and hung up? Or maybe Cole just isn't worth as much as you thought he was.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe their offers were even worse? It's not like Dorion has won any trades, so I doubt any GMs are throwing great offers at his feet.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
So in the end Zibanejad was traded for 3th in 2020, 7th in 2018, Gustavsson, and a slight upgrade on picks this year (Pittsburgh's 1st vs Ottawa's 2nd, probably like ~5 spots).

Wow, that's rough.

usa-today-9288416.0.jpg

Reactions: Benjamin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My thoughts immediately went to "you'll trade for my house $300k house right now and I get your $600k house in 3 years?" Done!!! Where do I sign?

Your thoughts immediately went to assuming details about a trade that clearly weren't offered? That's a weird way to interpret the offer. I don't know:
a) why you assumed I meant that, and
b) why you think I have a $600k house, which is flattering I guess? :laugh:

No. The argument at hand is "2018 3rd round pick = 2020 3rd round pick". Therefore, the analogy is "$300k house now = $300k house in 2020". Are you sure that has nothing to do with value and only has to do with convenience? Because I really don't think it does.

Reactions: FlapJackKing

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is it now? ...and you've come to that conclusion based on what exactly?

That's ridiculous. When they are ready to contribute doesn't make them more/less valuable.
If you’re a GM of a team you’re only in charge for a limited time. Why do you want guys that will be MAYBE ready to play mhm
Hockey in 2030

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Should have been a 2nd...Oh well ,Cole was never going to play for us anyhow..So we get for Brassard and our 3rd...Pitts 1st,Gus their 3rd and clb 3rd in 2020...Its not the greatest,but its not the worst either

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Your thoughts immediately went to assuming details about a trade that clearly weren't offered? That's a weird way to interpret the offer. I don't know
a) why you assumed I meant that, and
b) why you think I have a $600k house, which is flattering I guess, but far from reality.

No. The argument at hand is "2018 3rd round pick = 2020 3rd round pick". Therefore, the analogy is "$300k house now = $300k house in 2020". Are you sure that has nothing to do with value and only has to do with convenience? Because I really don't think it does.
...and you have made several assumptions on this deal such as "more was offered, more would have been offered had he waited etc. Is 2020 expected to be a deeper draft? Do you know? Will Columus be a bottom 6/7/8 team in 2 years? You don't know any of this but assigned what I feel is arbitrary value (i.e. a 3rd today is worth more than a 3rd in 2020).

EDIT: I'm NOT :)laugh:) a Dorion fan but man, so much angst over marginal variances.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
If Columbus dives in 2020 the 3rd could be better than it looks now......I know.... grasping at straws

Maybe Seattle or Quebec will like this pick by then :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Disappointing return. No surprise... Thought this would be simple. 2020? I think he just moved him to the first taker

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Is this Moutrey kid still a decent player at the AHL level? That's probably all we wanted him for.

A big body with questionable speed, hands and shot. Is not that physical considering his size.

Sorta like Nick paul with worse skating and offense.

So serviceable bottom line AHL player at this point.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
There's not much to sugar coat this one. Might sound like I'm excusing Dorion (not my intention) but the inclusion of the AHL fodder screams Randy Lee to me. I don't have much to base that on though, but certainly plausible that Dorion was focusing his attention on EK, ZS, etc. I surely hope we didn't downgrade a pick to take a AHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00