Confirmed with Link: Ian Cole Traded To Columbus

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thanks for speaking up for me and my "agenda". This is a message board, I am unhappy in the direction this organization has taken with EVERY SINGLE MOVE over the past few seasons, so I am speaking up. Randy Lee has stocked the AHL affiliate with garbage for far too long. Point is, this retuen for Cole isn't acceptable. Is it a minor move, absolutely, does HFBoards have a "Ian Cole traded to Columbus" thread, yes it does!! Therefore, I am able to post my opinion.

Also, thanks for reminding me about what I should be upset about.
Hey man, keep doing you :laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So did Dorion just tell Winnipeg he didn't want to hear their offer, and hung up? Or maybe Cole just isn't worth as much as you thought he was.
Or that Dorion thought he was. I have no faith in Dorion as a GM.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, expected a 2nd this year or next plus a decent prospect who could play in the AHL

Why pull the trigger so fast? Another team would have stepped up and give maybe more...

Because everyone knows we have to unload as much salary as possible.

Not much leverage when everyone knows you are cornered.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So did Dorion just tell Winnipeg he didn't want to hear their offer, and hung up? Or maybe Cole just isn't worth as much as you thought he was.
3 seconds after that trade went thru
depositphotos_16591521-stock-photo-man-fast-asleep-at-his.jpg

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
If we expect to get 2's and 3s from other deals today then I can see wanting to space them out over 2 or 3 years. There's only so many guys you like after the first 50 picks in any given draft and we've done well in later rounds. I still think the return stinks but I won't be as upset if we exit today with an extra couple mid round picks the next three drafts.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Perhaps, but i have always been dubious about claims from fans that- oh he could have got a better deal if only he had ...

Fan ideas of good negotiation skills are equally lacking in my eyes often. But sure i wish we had got more too. But its only my anger that would leave to proclaim we didnt because of his bad negotiation skills. Its possible, but also possible its the best we could have done.

I agree. I think having strong negotiation skills overall is the real challenge here and only a few managers in all industries have it. A good example is Masiah Ujiri of the Toronto Raptors. He wins virtually every trade he makes yet doesn't have the most attractive incentives for teams to join, like a Lebron or L.A. lifestyle. I think for instance Ujiri would be a more successful GM of the Sens once he took time to understand hockey and player evaluations.

Additionally: Ujiri also finds ways to work out contracts that are beneficial for both parties. He also ran a non-cap team for several years and only recently gave major pay raises to his stars and that was justified based on their performance. Dorion isn't able to do this either.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Looks like the market is flooded with available players and a lot of teams holding out to not pay a premium. In a buyers market where we could get nothing in a few hours from now, taking the offer that is out there may be all we can do. Value is only based on leverage, not what we think he is worth compared to other players. Its not like we can be a grittier negotiator or something.

Teams have pecking orders and then circle back to their 2nd and 3rd choices. Dorion could have waited a bit longer to get something better but there is a risk he'd be left without a dance partner. That's what differentiates the professional poker players from the rookies. Since it's his ass on the line not mine so it's much easier to second guess from the cheap seats. ;)

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I would have preferred more, just like everyone else. I'm guessing PD wanted to get this one out of the way to spend the afternoon working on potential deals with a higher return. It is what it is.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don’t have a problem at all with this and the Brassard trade.

1st
Gustavsson
3rd
Moutrey

I think that’s pretty fair.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Jesus wtf is going on. 3rd rounder in 2020. My GF could’ve negotiated a better return using Sephora gift cards and Pure Kitchen coupons.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
So he doesn't waster any more time with Cole, when he likely has other deals to make in the next few hours? Can't spend all day eating the appetizers when the main dish is sitting on the counter getting cold.
If he can’t multitask more than one deal he should be nowhere near the GMs office.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If he can’t multitask more than one deal he should be nowhere near the GMs office.

If we're being fair, "one deal" is potentially the biggest trade in the history of the franchise.

And he really has pretty much no help in the front office.

I mean... I'm not going to make a business of defending Pierre Dorion here, I'm not a fan, but your criticism is not really based on the reality of what is actually happening.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don’t have a problem at all with this and the Brassard trade.

1st
Gustavsson
3rd
Moutrey

I think that’s pretty fair.
But there is a definite minus on the 2018 for 2019 3rd swap with the Pens. The Pens know they'll get a good one almost a late second from us. If these picks were added just to make the trade legal for the NHL as was suggested by some pundits why weren't they 6th or 7th rounders instead.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We could not move Ian Cole .. for the price we paid for someone to take a top AHL goaltender or a fringe NHL backup.
We give the goalie and a 3rd bundled in a trade for nothing.
and we get a 2020 3rd for Cole.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Has anyone stopped and thought that maybe Dorion asked to get the 2020 pick instead of this year's in anticipation of having a bigger scouting team? They have a skeleton crew this year. It's not unreasonable to assume they will hire more scouts if they're rebuilding.

Same reason we got the 2019 3rd from Pitts instead of their 2018 one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But there is a definite minus on the 2018 for 2019 3rd swap with the Pens. The Pens know they'll get a good one almost a late second from us. If these picks were added just to make the trade legal for the NHL as was suggested by some pundits why weren't they 6th or 7th rounders instead.

While true, the difference in expected value of an early third to a late third isn't very much at all. certainly not worth getting worked up about.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
We could not move Ian Cole .. for the price we paid for someone to take a top AHL goaltender or a fringe NHL backup.
We give the goalie and a 3rd bundled in a trade for nothing.
and we get a 2020 3rd for Cole.

I feel like selling off assets isn't all that impressive, whether we got a good or bad return for Cole. It's why someone like Chayka doesn't impress me, let me know when he actually leaves the selling off assets phase of his tenure.

I mean, is there really that much to trading a guy like Cole? You make him available and then take the best draft pick offer.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
While true, the difference in expected value of an early third to a late third isn't very much at all. certainly not worth getting worked up about.

Seriously. People don't realize how quickly teams start to go off the board after the first round. At that point, it all comes down to scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->