Ansar Khan: I reckon this is the plan...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
New coach this summer, and new GM next summer works for me.

Move Holland into a front office role and let him weigh in on hiring other front office personnel and the draft. He would add value there. Bring in a more disciplined coach, and a younger more progressive GM. I know the switch from Babcock to Blash has some folks gunshy, but I think we could get a nice new mix in place.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
New coach this summer, and new GM next summer works for me.

Move Holland into a front office role and let him weigh in on hiring other front office personnel and the draft. He would add value there. Bring in a more disciplined coach, and a younger more progressive GM. I know the switch from Babcock to Blash has some folks gunshy, but I think we could get a nice new mix in place.

Sounds good enough to me.

Sr. VP: Jimmy
Ex. Vp: Kenny
GM: Mark Hunter/Jason Botterill/Julien BriseBois
Asst. GM Ryan Martin & Kris Draper
Dir. of Hockey Administration: Bryan Campbell
-Good combo of hockey guys and statistic guys

Head coach: Todd Nelson
Asst. coach: Mike Knuble
Asst. coach: Rocky Thompson
Asst. coach: Chris Chelios

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I wouldn't mind getting Nelson in here. I really like what he's gotten out of Svechnikov and Hicketts.

GM wise, I'm wary of throwing any names out there. Benning was the top GM prospect for a while and, god, look at that show...

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
It's just plain stupid to blame Blashill for not getting results with this roster. The roster is basically an veteran improvement of what his Grand Rapids roster was, but the level of opponents is much better than in the AHL.

So, I think he needs to be given more time. One should however expect more of a roster change. That's were the problem is. In addition to that, there is no one of the younger players who are actually taking responsibility on the ice and making plays happen. Everyone is waiting for someone else to do it.

I think the problem is that Blash's preferred system is one that can only work properly with more talent than we currently have and his attempts to cut his cloth accordingly have often looked like a less coherent Babs-lite approach. I think his coaching of this team has fallen between two stool too often. You get glimpses of what it could be and how it could work, which is why among all the bad games you get the odd really great performance and a team as likely to go toe to toe with the best as the worst.

The question is, do we & management believe that the roster can evolve in a way that works with his style, and do we believe he can competently adapt his style to the roster as it evolves?

Also there needs to be serious analysis re the power play. There is no way on earth it should be anywhere near this bad. Its almost as bad as we are 5 on 5...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think the problem is that Blash's preferred system is one that can only work properly with more talent than we currently have and his attempts to cut his cloth accordingly have often looked like a less coherent Babs-lite approach. I think his coaching of this team has fallen between two stool too often. You get glimpses of what it could be and how it could work, which is why among all the bad games you get the odd really great performance and a team as likely to go toe to toe with the best as the worst.

The question is, do we & management believe that the roster can evolve in a way that works with his style, and do we believe he can competently adapt his style to the roster as it evolves?

Also there needs to be serious analysis re the power play. There is no way on earth it should be anywhere near this bad. Its almost as bad as we are 5 on 5...

Yeah. I looked at like the last 10 years or so of power play rankings in the NHL. IIRC, the Wings were like a bottom 5 PP over the last 10 seasons.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
lol @ people playing revisionist history on Blashill

The dude has made some seriously questionable decisions regarding lines and our special teams are not good.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wouldn't mind getting Nelson in here. I really like what he's gotten out of Svechnikov and Hicketts.

GM wise, I'm wary of throwing any names out there. Benning was the top GM prospect for a while and, god, look at that show...

Yeah, I don't expect Holland to do much. He's going to probably trade Vanek, get his high draft pick and more or less try to make the playoffs next year. I think he tries to sell hope by firing Blashill and hiring a new coach. A guy like Nelson would probably be up for the uncertainty of coaching in Detroit under a lame duck GM.

With a high draft pick, a new arena and a new coach Holland can do a little soft shoe and make it look like this year was a one year aberration. I do like Nelson a lot and would look forward to how he would perform with one of the least talented rosters in the entire NHL. :popcorn:

Regardless, after next season we can get a GM who will hopefully have a commitment to becoming competitive once again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Whelp, we lost Yzerman because Holland wouldn't retire; Tampa sucks this season and have already missed the playoffs twice since his tenure.

We lost Jim Nill because Ken Holland wouldn't retire. Dallas sucks.

I think Ken Holland is fine. I just think people want a 5 month plan when it takes years....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Whelp, we lost Yzerman because Holland wouldn't retire; Tampa sucks this season and have already missed the playoffs twice since his tenure.

I think Ken Holland is fine. I just think people want a 5 month plan when it takes years....
It takes years once you have a plan to build something. The plan at the moment is to keep using chewing gum and duct tape to MacGyver an 8th seed (and prompt 1st round exit) together again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It takes years once you have a plan to build something. The plan at the moment is to keep using chewing gum and duct tape to MacGyver an 8th seed (and prompt 1st round exit) together again.

You think Mantha and Larkin won't be part of Wings when the team is a threat again? Do you think when they hit their prime the Wings will still be one and done?

You see the glass half empty, I see the glass half full. I think the Wings are bottoming out this year and will start progressing upward.

Maybe parity will be like Tampa where they are a contender one season and picking 3rd overall the next.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

The Stars who just finished second in the league last year and the Lightning who have beaten us twice and are shortly removed from a Cup run?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yeah, I don't expect Holland to do much. He's going to probably trade Vanek, get his high draft pick and more or less try to make the playoffs next year. I think he tries to sell hope by firing Blashill and hiring a new coach. A guy like Nelson would probably be up for the uncertainty of coaching in Detroit under a lame duck GM.

With a high draft pick, a new arena and a new coach Holland can do a little soft shoe and make it look like this year was a one year aberration. I do like Nelson a lot and would look forward to how he would perform with one of the least talented rosters in the entire NHL. :popcorn:

Regardless, after next season we can get a GM who will hopefully have a commitment to becoming competitive once again.

Wanna know what's scary?

ESPN article with several quotes from Vanek's agent suggests the Wings are waiting till after the expansion draft to extend Vanek, and any deal will end up including a NMC.

Both Vanek and Holland want to put together a contract that keeps him in Detroit.

I'd link it, but it's behind a pay wall.

Buckle up boys, the incompetent GM is about to go to work and lock up another 30+ vet on a dead roster.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Stars who just finished second in the league last year and the Lightning who have beaten us twice and are shortly removed from a Cup run?

Yzerman's prize for beating us in the playoffs (and still falling short of winning a cup) is he might get to draft before us this draft. He must be ecstatic sucking so bad with that talent. If Holland did that, ppl would be calling for his head.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Wanna know what's scary?

ESPN article with several quotes from Vanek's agent suggests the Wings are waiting till after the expansion draft to extend Vanek, and any deal will end up including a NMC.

Both Vanek and Holland want to put together a contract that keeps him in Detroit.

I'd link it, but it's behind a pay wall.

Buckle up boys, the incompetent GM is about to go to work and lock up another 30+ vet on a dead roster.

NOOOOOO! I guess after the article you linked yesterday and Holland's quote about only changing course after missing the PO's 2-3 times I wouldn't put it past him. And hey making the playoffs is winning, right?

Strange enough there are more fans here at HF that want Vanek returned than don't. He's been "real gud".

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yzerman's prize for beating us in the playoffs (and still falling short of winning a cup) is he might get to draft before us this draft. He must be ecstatic sucking so bad with that talent. If Holland did that, ppl would be calling for his head.
I like how your rationale is that, if other teams can have a bad season, then Detroit has carte blanche to be awful as well.

Ain't no more playoffs in this town for awhile.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You think Mantha and Larkin won't be part of Wings when the team is a threat again? Do you think when they hit their prime the Wings will still be one and done?

You see the glass half empty, I see the glass half full. I think the Wings are bottoming out this year and will start progressing upward.
Oh, they might very well be part of the team. But the odds of them being the go-to options on a contender isn't good. If Detroit is ever going to win another Cup, it'll be after finding at least 2 players that are better than the likely projections of Larkin and Mantha.

And I don't think any noticeable progress upward will begin until at least one of those two high-end players is acquired (and begins to pan out).

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

Name something Holland has done that even remotely compares to what Yzerman managed to get out of the St. Louis trade and I'll eat my hat.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Name something Holland has done that even remotely compares to what Yzerman managed to get out of the St. Louis trade and I'll eat my hat.
Extend the participation trophy streak, since that's about all he has to hang his hat on these days.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow

Assembled cup-winning team? Because Yzerman hasn't done anything that even remotely compares to it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sounds like speculation mostly. He may have a more educated guess than most of us, but I doubt there's any plan being leaked here. The most interesting bit is about Holland moving upstairs but that could easily be undecided at this point.

Nill? Stars are tied with the Wings in points. Yzerman? Tampa is 2 points ahead. The road was all mapped out... towards this point, no matter what.
Don't see how we had the inside track on Shanahan or Bowman either, one of which has not accomplished anything yet.

I don't follow Dallas as closely but I would trade rosters with Tampa in less than a heartbeat. Tampa is having a weird season, Detroit is having a predictable season. Tampa can legitimately claim to have a bright future, Detroit can't.

Assembled cup-winning team? Because Yzerman hasn't done anything that even remotely compares to it.

Right getting to the cup finals means nothing, we would all hate that. Winning a gold medal, again nothing. Yzerman's career is also still young by any measure.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

And what did he do in the Marty St. Louis trade? He got Ryan Callahan and what amounts to four "eh" prospects. Marty was far and away the best player in that deal. Seriously, it was a good trade and maybe edges towards great because Marty said "only NYR", but they traded an MVP level wing for a rich man's Justin Abdelkader and a couple picks.

Would you think that Pittsburgh did awesome if they dealt Phil Kessel to Detroit for Justin Abdelkader, a first, a conditional second to turn into a first and a 7th?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not trying to necessarily downplay Yzerman's task in getting something good of value for Marty St. Louis, but I mean, he was a bona-fide PPG wing even at the time of the deal. He had 90+ points as recently as two years before it.

It was a good deal but it wasn't some master stroke.

And how about multiple garbage picks + Anders Eriksson for 10 years of Chris Chelios.

How about AA (who now people don't want to trade for a late first and second) with a fourth?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Holland just traded a player that was set to retire + a mid 1st to rid his cap burden for a few picks later and a 2nd rounder. They drafted the two defensemen they wanted who both very much could turn into studs. Both could very well likely be better than the pick they gave up in the Datsyuk trade. And I think they will be.

They got rid of Datsyuk's contract, and added two players they specifically wanted - one of those picks were FREE. It's actually genius. I feel like Ken Holland out Wile e'd the Coyotes :laugh:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Holland just traded a player that was set to retire + a mid 1st to rid his cap burden for a few picks later and a 2nd rounder. They drafted the two defensemen they wanted who both very much could turn into studs. Both could very well likely be better than the pick they gave up in the Datsyuk trade. And I think they will be.

They got rid of Datsyuk's contract, and added two players they specifically wanted - one of those picks were FREE. It's actually genius. :laugh:

That trade was terrible. It tied up more dead cap space long term. And cost the team better defensive prospects from their original drafting position.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That trade was terrible. It tied up more dead cap space long term. And cost the team better defensive prospects from their original drafting position.

No it wasn't. It allowed Ken Holland to sign players who are fun for fans to watch. Just because you and a few random folks refuse to enjoy it doesn't mean the majority of us can't enjoy it.

Chychrun is nothing special. I think he tops out as a bottom 4. Wings have those type of players coming out of their ears.

We had this debate before, unless a dman is a top quality elite star in the draft, they are all crap shoots. You're best chance is 'education guess' along with luck and drafting quantity. You're more likely to land a better dman if you draft two instead of one. It increases your chances.

I'm not high on Chychrun and neither are the 16 teams who passed on him. Coyotes, a team known to suck at drafting, picked him. That should be your first clear indicator what's going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad