Ansar Khan: I reckon this is the plan...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think Miller is mad at the Red Wings. He just wants a shot at the NHL, and if it is with another team then so be it.

Problem is if nobody wants him for free, who is going to take him in a trade?
It only makes sense if you have a playoff team with recent PK issues, possibly due to injury, and any compensation is contingent on team playoff success and/or player contributions, like the Washington deal for Gilbert that the NHL.com article referenced.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I don't think Miller is mad at the Red Wings. He just wants a shot at the NHL, and if it is with another team then so be it.

Problem is if nobody wants him for free, who is going to take him in a trade?

Teams don't want to give up a 50 man roster spot. I'm sure if a team was offered Miller for x depth minor leaguer with no NHL future, they would accept a deal like that. I also wonder if Detroit holds onto Miller and gives him playing time once Ott and Vanek are traded. I'm hoping that playing time will be given to Jurco / Frk / Svechnikov / etc. but if Kenny can't find a taker for Miller, he may do that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
. I also wonder if Detroit holds onto Miller and gives him playing time once Ott and Vanek are traded.

No reason for that, beacause he is very near of the "games played bonus", which would slide to next year's cap.

I think his waivering is totally based avoiding this bonus from activating.

My wishlist for trades:

1st for Vanek (50% max retained)
3rd for Smitty (50% max retained)
4th for Jurco
6th for Ott

Would be nice to have 11 draft picks at 2017 draft

Last edited:

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Man I never proofread posts and it's awful sometimes reading the quotes. Nails on chalkboard.

But I think for all intensive purposes you understood the post.

Ironic post. Not to be a grammar nazi but, it's actually intents & purposes, not "intensive purposes", seriously look it up.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No reason for that, beacause he is very near of the "games played bonus", which would slide to next year's cap.

I think his waivering is totally based avoiding this bonus from activating.

My wishlist for trades:

1st for Vanek (50% max retained)
3rd for Smitty (50% max retained)
4th for Jurco
6th for Ott

Would be nice to have 11 draft picks at 2017 draft

And we actually got a 3rd for Jurco, So not too shabby.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't have anything against someone that asks for a trade when they get sent to the NHL. That has to be rotten as a player. Not being able to make this roster though and not being cheep necessarily is a pretty big monkey on his back

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I don't have anything against someone that asks for a trade when they get sent to the NHL. That has to be rotten as a player. Not being able to make this roster though and not being cheep necessarily is a pretty big monkey on his back

I think he'll be traded by the deadline. Playoff teams like depth, and he's that.

With his salary, he's cheap enough for at least a 7th, or maybe a C prospect.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yup. That was the joke. I even rib Frk It about it like 1 post later. Seriously, look it up.
Their really aren't enough opportunities for jokes about grammar. Its almost criminal how much it effects me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How is it a different issue if Abdelkader is being counted on to score goals?

Abdelkader has the 4th highest cap hit among forwards and 3rd highest salary this year. He's one of our key veterans. If he's not a driver, who the hell is? Old man Zetterberg? Frans "career high 20 PP points" Nielsen? 20-year-old Larkin? Or Nyquist and Tatar?

So if there's no drivers, how the hell is this team pushed against the cap? And why can't we blame Abdelkader for soaking up that cap while not performing? If you need to pair him with an elite center, but you don't have any room for an elite center...

I'm just struggling to understand why there's so much critical armor built around these players because we call them ALL complimentary players.
Zetterberg is arguably still a driver and paid like one. Not everyone can play together with him though. Green is kinda paid like one too. No one else is really paid like one of those key pieces. Abdelkader/Nyquist/Tatar have complementary player salaries, because that's what they are. I think the hope was that Larkin would be more of a driver and he's not there yet.
This team is pushed against the cap in part because it needs to be to make the most of LTIR savings, and in part because we're still on the downturn of a really succesful run and have a lot of players on bigger contracts than they'd be worth if you reset everything before last season and gave them new contracts this summer. Kronwall is way overpaid for what he brings currently. Ericsson too. Howard is way too expensive not for his play this year, but for how little he has played. We also have very few players on league minimum contracts, simply put we don't have much in the way of "borderline NHLer" talent on the team, we have lots of players that are easily NHL caliber and probably 7-8 forwards that can be counted among the best 3rd liners in the league (Helm/AA/Tatar/Nyquist/Vanek/Larkin/Abby).

The guys expected to produce reliable offense no matter what in this league don't make 4 million dollars, they make twice that. It's not critical armor it's just reality. How many players on Columbus have seen their numbers go way up this season compared to past years? That's why you don't throw a guy like Nyquist or Tatar or even Abby under the bus because they struggle in a trainwreck year like this. When the team starts getting their act together again you may suddenly see some of those complementary players actually putting up good numbers, say like an Atkinson is doing for example.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Guy

You to are way to much for me right now.

Guys this is getting ludacris.

On topic, what about Ott to Edmonton? They need faceoff help and could get a little extra sandpaper too for pretty cheap.

I'm no good at the value game. What's the guesses to Otts potential return? Only a 6th rounder?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guys this is getting ludacris.

On topic, what about Ott to Edmonton? They need faceoff help and could get a little extra sandpaper too for pretty cheap.

I'm no good at the value game. What's the guesses to Otts potential return? Only a 6th rounder?

They have Lucic, Maroon, Kassian and Nurse....

The faceoff point is good, but I don't think Edmonton is lacking in bite at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->