"I Love This Team" : post-mortem thread

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Never has a Sens team overachieved this much. They went beyond all expectations, fought adversity of all kinds, and grew up right before our eyes. Very proud of this team.

This is so true! Last decade, the super talented Sens found ways to lose...this team found ways to win.

This is an amazing team. Someone else can hoist the Cup this year, but in my mind, the Senators players are the true winners of the season.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This team has nothing, whatsoever, to be ashamed of. We played a great season despite all the adversity we faced this year. Any team that lost its 3 best players for extended stretches could have folded like a cheap tent but we never. Proud of the team and think if all our players are healthy for a full season next year we can contend for the division.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Great season! I hope everyone who is injured keeps training over the summer.

We really need a BIG signing. I still believe that with Spezza's recurring back issues and Alfie leaving after next season, we'll need a superstar sooner than later.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Great season. We lost to a better team, no shame in that.

Very proud of how the team stepped up and made the playoffs regardless of injuries. I'm already excited to see the team play next year when (hopefully) Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen & Michalek are healthy and not playing well below their abilities.

It'll be nice to see the jump from the young guys too after a long and grueling rookie season.

John Holmes*

The guys played hard. You can't question their heart or effort at all.

The Penguins were absolutely stacked. They really loaded up.

I think we might just see another Pens - Wings final. I don't see anyone stopping them.

Too many weapons.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
The Sens had a great year and overcame a lot of bad luck and adversity, cheers to Ottawa.

Next season you guys are going to be lethal. Lots of young talent, good coaching, and some solid veteran leadership. Hopefully Alfie comes back to play with Spezza for one last go-round.

WhiteLight*

The guys played hard. You can't question their heart or effort at all.

The Penguins were absolutely stacked. They really loaded up.

I think we might just see another Pens - Wings final. I don't see anyone stopping them.

Too many weapons.

Pittsburgh vs LA would be cool. The return of Crosby vs Richards.

LA I think is the only team that could stop Pitts imo

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
So much to look forward to for next season. A lot of good young returning guys and a few good prospects will probably make this team.

All-in-all, this has been a good year and I really enjoyed this shortened regular season but next year we'll be back to the regular grind so It'll be interesting to see what the boys can do?

Beating Montreal exceeded my expectations beyond belief. The loud, electric atmosphere at SBP just proved that Ottawa as a city can roll with best of them while providing the Team the motivation they needed to pump the Canadiens in round one. :yo:

This last round against Pittsburgh proved we are not quite ready to compete with the higher echelon teams just yet. The Pens were at least three gears ahead of us offensively but this was a learning experience for our boys.

Good year Ottawa. I am proud to be a Sen's fan!! :handclap:

insomniac34

Mar 31, 2010
Congratulations on a good season. I know the outcome of this series isn't what you hoped for, but there were several points in this series, a crossbar here or a barely out-of-position player there, where if things had gone the other way, the games could have looked completely different. Despite going down in 5, your team was in a position more times then is admitted by most Pens fans to take advantage of mistakes. That's the sign of a young but talented team I'd imagine, and those same mistakes will be made much less frequently with an experienced roster.

I also recognize that if Spezza and Karlsson weren't injured, it would have been much tougher. While I'm glad you weren't full strength, I'm looking forward to watching Karlsson continue to recover and get back on track to being a more offensively gifted version of Kris Letang, and, (grumble grumble) the best offensive D-man in the league.

Good luck next year, and FWIW Alfie has always been one of my favorite non-Pens players, so I really hope he sticks around.

:cheers:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
^ Even at full strength it'd be hard. Bounces could have gone our way, but the way Pittsburg was attacking, bounces were going to go their way.

I don't remember a single Karlsson squeeze while defending this playoffs. It should be back next year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know you don't want Pens fans coming in, but I got enough Sens friends that hopefully this is okay:

I commend the entire fan base for their hockey knowledge. This has been a blessing to deal with great fans. Almost zero bickering and nonsense while guys like Cooke/Neil are employed. Really good stuff. I respect you guys a lot.

Also.. Turris opened up my eyes this series. He's the real deal and he will be the future of the Sens. EK will get healthy and strengthen his Achilles in the offseason. This team didn't rebuild. They flat out reloaded. What a successful season including (hopefully) coach of the year.

Thank you.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I know you don't want Pens fans coming in, but I got enough Sens friends that hopefully this is okay:

I commend the entire fan base for their hockey knowledge. This has been a blessing to deal with great fans. Almost zero bickering and nonsense while guys like Cooke/Neil are employed. Really good stuff. I respect you guys a lot.

Also.. Turris opened up my eyes this series. He's the real deal and he will be the future of the Sens. EK will get healthy and strengthen his Achilles in the offseason. This team didn't rebuild. They flat out reloaded. What a successful season including (hopefully) coach of the year.

Thank you.

Thanks ColePens, coming from you its more "acceptable". Classy poster, hell of a team. Good luck.

Doesn't mean I'm cheering for you guys though. ;)

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
I wrote this prayer on my way back from SBP after a forgettable game 4 and was planning on saying it at the bar with the boys last night. Totally forgot. I accept partial responsibility for the loss. :shakehead

Alfie, who art our captain
Hallowed be thy name
Thy stick be our sword
Thy clutch goals be scored
In Pittsburgh as they are in Ottawa
Give us this day our second win
and forgive us our doubts in you
As we forgive habs fans who thought they could beat us;
Lead us not into the offseason,
But deliver us to the Stanley Cup.
Amen.

Meaningless that I say it now sadly.

Regardless of all the positives, I can't help feeling incredibly disappointed that I won't get to watch the Sens again until october and that I may never see Alfie suit up again.

But next year we'll be back with a healthy Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen and Milo and 1 more year of development for the kids. I expect big things from the two young swedes. Zibby especially is going to be something special.

Thank you Sens, each and every one of you, for an amazing, gut wrenching and heart pounding season.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton

Thank you.

Respect yo. *fist bump*

I was half hoping the series threads would have reached part ten or eleven.:nod:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Silf and Zibby next season will be faster and smarter and that will be the biggest improvement overall to our play.

Pageau as well is a full time NHL'er, I'd say he was our best rookie these playoffs and with Turris and Alfie were our 3 best players.

Stone still looks to slow to be anything more then a 3rd liner with hands right now. I know Pitt was going 3 times faster then us but he still looked slow.

Conacher is a favortie, he is going the way of the spark plug - he reminds me of Dino Ciccarelli but more slippery. Liked the way he played, I thought coach Maclean kept him on a short leash when it looked like he was getting under the skin of some of the Penguins. I thought shutting down that emotional play by Conacher really took us out of our element, no excuses, but when Conacher mixed it up it almost looked out of place, I know we didn't want to take penalties but the key to betting Pitt is to get them involved in an emotional game and not a skating game, I thought Conacher digging in at times could of distracted Pitt from their game plan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It may have been a shortened season, but with all the injury stress it sure felt like a full season worth of stress :laugh:

Also anyone else seen this? lol http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...075504-74/cooke-client-karlsson#axzz2UJ9MbEU9

So true. Was angry for a few days after games 2, 3, and 4...but an hour or two after game 5, it felt more like relief. Very stressful year for hockey, witht he lockout, injuries, stupid calls, unwarranted suspensions, etc.

Kinda glad it's over.

Now we can watch other teams battle without the huge emotional investment.

And to add, that article is yet another reason why I will never have respect for that franchise or its fan base. Seeing Boston ragdoll a few Penguins will be sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00