Post-Game Talk: I like Nyquist and our PK

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Toronto and Montreal have games in hand though.

Was not arguing that, was just pointing out those teams can move back out in front of Tampa with their point totals.

Winning would be big for the Wings we need every point, beating Montreal coming out of the break would also be huge. A big run in the next 10 games on the schedule could do a lot of damage to that crowd.

It is about time we enjoyed a big spurt of points, you usually see one during a season, even the bad teams and we haven't really had one yet, would be a great time to do it.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nyquist
Zetterberg
Alfie

HM to Howie.

It was nice to beat Florida for a change.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It was a big/huge win IMO. For whatever reason we struggle vs the Panthers and it is a Nice feeling to win this game.
But it looked very bad. We outshot them in the 1st 11-2, yet they won the period. And then you think "here we og again". Keeping them to 8 shots after 2 periods was good.
Big win, 2 Points is 2 Points.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Solid win...exorcised some demons with the Panthers. I'm not that mad on the breakaway goal late in the first...Upshall had to do a heck of a job to control a bad pass as he entered the zone and that was all skill. The Wings controlled the balance of that game in my view. Howard buckled down in the second and third. I'm satisfied with that road win.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
How did datsyuk look, just watch half the 1st period...

He made a couple good plays in the first. One here or there the rest of the game.

For the most part, he was invisible for Datsyuk standards.

At this point, I think we're icing the best team that we have all season. To keep the pace going, Franzen and Weiss should return as 4th liners. :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He made a couple good plays in the first. One here or there the rest of the game.

For the most part, he was invisible for Datsyuk standards.

At this point, I think we're icing the best team that we have all season. To keep the pace going, Franzen and Weiss should return as 4th liners. :sarcasm:

I know Abby has done well, but we're better off with Franzen in his spot.

Better finisher, and he gives that line a true goal scorer.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I feel the same way. But there's also no doubt that playing Abdelkader on the top line is working... somehow. :laugh: I would rather have him play with 40 & 14 than 13 and 11. He seems to have an actual niche on that line, even if he doesn't score.

I also think it will be interesting to see if Weiss gets moved to the wing when he's ready to go.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

No doubt. People are high on Abby now, but he'll regress like he always does. He has these 5-10 game stretches where you think he's "figured it out" and is becoming a top 6 player, then he goes back to normal Abby which is a good bottom 6 player, nothing more. He doesn't have the hockey sense or goalscoring touch to be a legit top 6 winger.

With Franzen, that line would be better in the long run. I would even want to try a Datsyuk-Z-Nyquist line but that would go against everything Babcock believes in. But maybe Jurco could play with Dats and Z next season, be our version of Hertl. Jurco is almost playing like a more skilled Abdelkader right now.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
No doubt. People are high on Abby now, but he'll regress like he always does. He has these 5-10 game stretches where you think he's "figured it out" and is becoming a top 6 player, then he goes back to normal Abby which is a good bottom 6 player, nothing more. He doesn't have the hockey sense or goalscoring touch to be a legit top 6 winger.

With Franzen, that line would be better in the long run. I would even want to try a Datsyuk-Z-Nyquist line but that would go against everything Babcock believes in. But maybe Jurco could play with Dats and Z next season, be our version of Hertl. Jurco is almost playing like a more skilled Abdelkader right now.

I think he might be figuring out as he is entering his prime.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

Yeah, but even the top 2 lines need some muscle. Sometimes I think people want the top 6 to be exclusively scorers/finesse players. That's not how it works.

Abby does all the other things right like go to the corners, retrieve pucks, go to the net, cause commotion, work the boards, occupy defenseman, and generally create space.... finding the back of the net is pretty awesome too.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, but even the top 2 lines need some muscle. Sometimes I think people want the top 6 to be exclusively scorers/finesse players. That's not how it works.

Abby does all the other things right like go to the corners, retrieve pucks, go to the net, cause commotion, work the boards, occupy defenseman, and generally create space.... finding the back of the net is pretty awesome too.

I agree and Abby brings another speed on that line which I think has helped that line and Z immensly. Having 2 fast wingers on both sides is a great strategical advantage breaking out especially when 1 is heavy on forecheck.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I agree and Abby brings another speed on that line which I think has helped that line and Z immensly. Having 2 fast wingers on both sides is a great strategical advantage breaking out especially when 1 is heavy on forecheck.

He's also 3rd on the team in plus/minus. I'm sure some of that will happen when you play with Z now and then, but that's still not too shabby.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Dude is way too inconsistent. Some have been curiously absent in the PGT as of late but they'll be back the next goal Howard let's in though. Gotta love 'em.

Missed most of it due to playing a little puck myself, really not surprised they won after watching the first. It was only a matter of time before they got a couple past TimTom. I'm not going to be a big fan of the Olympic break because they are slowly starting to come to form now that the dead weigh....not gonna jinx it.

Glad Lashoff got a goal, EN or not, he's been a quiet rock on the blue line when called upon. I thought it was Stuart for a second, give that man some more ice time.

Among goaltenders who registered 2000 minutes of TOI since 2011, Jimmy Howard has been the 4th best goaltender in the league in zone adjusted even strength GAA. He's been the 7th best goaltender in terms of GAA in close games (tie games or one goal differences).

Save Percentage? Howard owns the league's 3rd best save percentage in that same timespan in zone-adjusted even strength situations. He has the 9th best save percentage in close game situations. Howard is a freaking good Goaltender. Anyone who rags on him should be questioned on their knowledge of the game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Among goaltenders who registered 2000 minutes of TOI since 2011, Jimmy Howard has been the 4th best goaltender in the league in zone adjusted even strength GAA. He's been the 7th best goaltender in terms of GAA in close games (tie games or one goal differences).

Save Percentage? Howard owns the league's 3rd best save percentage in that same timespan in zone-adjusted even strength situations. He has the 9th best save percentage in close game situations. Howard is a freaking good Goaltender. Anyone who rags on him should be questioned on their knowledge of the game.

why would you use zone adjusted numbers for goalies? i get there is a reason to use it for skaters bc of bias but goalie is there all the time. part of it is making saves after quick shots after faceoffs etc.

he's actually second 11-13 if one just goes the normal way. but that doesn't take account this year; i bet he drops there. and he's 10-11 season was meh so that would drop him too.

he's good goalie, arguably around top10 but not as good as that streak he had from 11-13.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

He doesn't find the back of the net that often though. It's nice that he's finally surpassing his career high of 22 points, but anything else considering the icetime he gets with Z and Datsyuk would be embarrassing. I just want guys with higher hockey sense playing in the top 6. Abdelkader is the guy that dumps the puck when there's a chance to carry it in. He is the guy that puts a weak shot on net when there's a chance to make a play. He is not Holmstrom, who brought exactly the kind of gritty element you want while still having the on-ice intelligence to not drag down players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

And how often have we actually rolled a pure-skill line? I remember Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler, our best line that season. I think it's a myth that you need a dumb brute to make a scoring line work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad