Post-Game Talk: I like Nyquist and our PK

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Only saw where Nyquist scored go ahead goal on, but liked what I saw. First opponent we outshot like in the old days.
Nyquist
Howard
Alfie

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The celebration of our PK not allowing the 30th rank PP that has what 2 goals since 2014 started doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Really they gave up a lot of quality chances to a team that struggles mightily to create them and Howard was just very sharp.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
big win. pretty good game all around by everyone

howard played great. amazing how all the people with the anti howard agenda completely disappeared after he made those huge saves that led to the nyquist 2nd goal. made for a much more enjoyable gdt after that

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
We'd also probably be top three in the division and not fighting for the second wild card spot.

How are those veteran signings the past two years working out you say? Alfie, highly skilled player coming to the UFA market, good sign. Bertuzzi, slow with little left in the tank, no good. Cleary....enough said. Sammy, slow and lost his on ice vision a few seasons ago and oft injured, no good. Weiss, I'll let you know at the end of the season when he is healthy.

Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Samuelsson have totaled 122 games, 11 goals, 22 points, and -31 (!!!!!!!!!!!). In 30 games, Nyquist, the guy dumped in the minors so that all three of them could be on the roster, outscored the three of them combined. Further, Tatar sat out eight of the first nine games (also so that those three could all play), and Sheahan, who, as with the other two, is vastly superior to all of the aforementioned veterans, got to hang out in the minors. Meanwhile, those vets stunk it up all over the ice. Even Jurco, thus far the least impressive of the rookies (albeit still impressive) in his NHL time so far, is leagues better than any of them.

So yeah, Holland's personnel decisions have been pretty terrible, as have Babcock's. I thought they'd learned their lesson last season about the value of youth on the team, and also of the merits of playing the best possible roster, but sadly all of this was lost on them yet again in favor of their stupidly rigid and hopelessly outdated policy of always giving precedence to the veterans. This was quite frankly an embarrassment to the organization, as it allowed a group of useless---nay, worse than useless---oldies to supplant rookies who were their superiors in both ability and effort. Hopefully it doesn't happen next season as well.

And if any of the three of them plays a single game more this season, I'm going to scream. I'm particularly worried that Babcock will begin playing Cleary again on the basis of his supposed value in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think this was the definition of doing the bare minimum. Really didn't like how we handled the puck or the way they outworked us most of the game. But we got it done and that's what matters. Hope they haven't gone to Sochi mentally already because we need a better effort against Tampa, another big game.

Some notes:

* Nyquist was our best player. Noticeable almost every shift, both on offense and defense. Great goal, should have had another one too.
* Datsyuk was good in the 1st period, then disappeared a bit. He's certainly not himself but as long as his leg is okay the Olympics will be good for him, let's him get up to speed.
* Ericsson had an awful game. Hope this is just the Olympics messing with his focus.
* Howard had a quality game. Rough start, no shots then a breakaway. When the team stopped playing he came up big though.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
thatssotrue_1480_1330048618.gif

Good win. Good game from Howie. Nyquist is a stud. Not a great game from the kid line, a little sloppy. Defense gave up too many odd man rushes but otherwise was alright. Smith and Lash were our best defenders tonight imo.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Is Abdelkader one of the more underrated guys on the team at this point? He's got 23 points, and it seems like he's a plus player every single year. He's not a top line forward like Babcock sometimes uses him, but I think he's been pretty darn good this year.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We got 2 points and a ROW tonight. All I can ask for plus no one got hurt. Nyquist has been on fire lately hope he keeps it up after the break as well. Jimmie had a good game.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I know that when Franzen and Weiss return, it'll be to the minors with two players. It makes sense that Jurco be one of them, as it would behoove him nothing to ride the bench rather than playing #1 forward minutes in Grand Rapids. I hope that the other is Cleary.

On the subject of Cleary, I'd love to know how he's reacting to being regularly scratched. According to one of the insiders (either Malik or Khan, I don't remember), Bertuzzi is pretty ticked. You'd think these guys would get the picture, i.e. that they're much less effective than the players who have replaced them. Much as it's admirable for organizations to be loyal to their veterans, there's also an onus on those veterans to play well enough to justify that. Neither of them have done so.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Is Abdelkader one of the more underrated guys on the team at this point? He's got 23 points, and it seems like he's a plus player every single year. He's not a top line forward like Babcock sometimes uses him, but I think he's been pretty darn good this year.

He's doing great. If he could learn to finish, he'd be a 20-goal scorer. As things stand, what he brings to the table more than justifies his salary. On a related note, his goals in the game against the Canucks put him at a new career high in points after only 52 games.

He's on the books for $1.8m until 2016. Good deal.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't understand that Lashoff penalty. Is that not a play that happens about 30 times a game, anytime a puck is free and players are scrambling near the crease? I feel like I see that exact same thing constantly.

Either call it every time or not at all.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I know that when Franzen and Weiss return, it'll be to the minors with two players. It makes sense that Jurco be one of them, as it would behoove him nothing to ride the bench rather than playing #1 forward minutes in Grand Rapids. I hope that the other is Cleary.

On the subject of Cleary, I'd love to know how he's reacting to being regularly scratched. According to one of the insiders (either Malik or Khan, I don't remember), Bertuzzi is pretty ticked. You'd think these guys would get the picture, i.e. that they're much less effective than the players who have replaced them. Much as it's admirable for organizations to be loyal to their veterans, there's also an onus on those veterans to play well enough to justify that. Neither of them have done so.

Who cares? As long as they stay in the press box, I'm happy. I'm sure Clears is being supportive and continuing that veteran leadership he was brought back to provide. If Bert is ticked off, he can waive his NTC/NMC (forget if he has one). It would be a big help to the team.

Aug 6, 2012
Missed the game. Couple questions:

How did Datsyuk look?

Did the kids play well?

And one last thing. Nyquist gets robbed at least twice a game, it's ridiculous.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
He's doing great. If he could learn to finish, he'd be a 20-goal scorer. As things stand, what he brings to the table more than justifies his salary. On a related note, his goals in the game against the Canucks put him at a new career high in points after only 52 games.

He's on the books for $1.8m until 2016. Good deal.

I think it at least looks like he's learned a lot from the past year of playing a lot more with D and Z. Of course, a lot of his current points may have a lot to do with the fact that he is getting time on their wing this year, but still... after how out of place he looked last season with Datsyuk, to see him performing this year, it's really cool to see how much better he's been. He's having a career year, and I'm definitely glad. Good for him, and good for Detroit.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Sheahan probably gets sent down and someone waived/traded, but would like this to be the healthy lineup after Olympics:

Franzen - Z - Nyquist

Weiss - Dats - Alfie

Tatar - Helm - Abby

Miller/Glendening/Andersson - Sheahan - Bert/Cleary/Eaves/Who cares

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
big win. pretty good game all around by everyone

howard played great. amazing how all the people with the anti howard agenda completely disappeared after he made those huge saves that led to the nyquist 2nd goal. made for a much more enjoyable gdt after that

Yes, it's truly amazing how people criticize Howard when he ****s up but not when he plays good. It's almost as if there was some kind of mysterious connection there but I can't see what it could possibly be. I just can't. figure. it. out.

That breakaway shouldn't have happened, Datsyuk has to take blame for that but I'll forgive him for it because it was his first game back. Tricky for Howard of course but he has to play that a lot better anyway, he should take blame for it too. He made up for it later though and we're all happy for that.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. Nyquist - I love how he's trolling Kenneh :D
2. Kronwall - Really solid game for #55
3. Howard - He's our #1 and we need him to play at that level

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I don't understand that Lashoff penalty. Is that not a play that happens about 30 times a game, anytime a puck is free and players are scrambling near the crease? I feel like I see that exact same thing constantly.

it always seems like whenever the wings play physical in front of their net, they get a penalty

how many times have we seen a red wings player get drilled in front of the opposition net and no penalty

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah if he really pulled back and then gave it to the guy then it's a cross check. If you just lean into the guy like Lashoff did it is very rarely called a penalty. I don't have any problem with that play by Lashoff. He did what he is paid to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad