Post-Game Talk: I hate the Leafs, redux

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Don’t forget that we signed Perron from there.

I’m also kind of hoping we snag another piece from them like Barbashev or snag ROR for the 3C spot.
f*** off with that shit. MFer has shit his pants and basically quit on 3 teams now. Want no part of that in our lockerroom.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'll take an unpopular stand: This ESPN announcing team is pretty good. I think they're totally fair.
I only heard them from the highlights but I'm guessing it's the same crew. One sounded like Ray Ferraro who I think is good. Didn't love the play by play guy so much.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I only heard them from the highlights but I'm guessing it's the same crew. One sounded like Ray Ferraro who I think is good. Didn't love the play by play guy so much.
Yeah, Ray is fair team to team. He's just got some players he doesn't like some times. The PBP guy, yeah is a bit much. I forget what team he does radio for but he mentioned it at some point and I can see that. The excess "emotion" needed with any big call to liven up a radio broadcast.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I have reservations about Chia and Ed on a pairing. Ed is a possession fluid kind of defenseman. Chia is chaos and disruption. I'd much rather Ed play with Mo or Hronek.
Well the thing is Hronek has gone a bit cold since paired with Chariot. I think Maata fits Hronek a lot better.

Reactions: 14ari13

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Yeah, Ray is fair team to team. He's just got some players he doesn't like some times. The PBP guy, yeah is a bit much. I forget what team he does radio for but he mentioned it at some point and I can see that. The excess "emotion" needed with any big call to liven up a radio broadcast.
I think he said Winnipeg.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It has been so long to remember how Fabbri actually played and I forgot. Never make that mistake again. If dude didn't have acl issues his entire career, he would have a massive amount of points. His physicality and aggressiveness just compliments each other perfectly. Amazing.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
So I was at this game -- my takeaways:

a) Copp is a good hockey player. I thought he was a bust, I was wrong. He's not going to score much more than 20 goals but he's tough, strong, and smart. He's like a much better version of Luke Glendenning without the sh*t-eating smirk. I think he must have had some bad puck-luck this year or he'd have more points. This is a guy you want on your team if you're facing a powerful offensive team and you're trying to grit out a low-scoring win.

b) Walman is a keeper.

c) Berggren would have had two goals if not for some really bad luck, this kid's just so composed, all the time. Zetterbergian.

d) Hronek made some outstanding defensive plays, not always near the puck, not sure if they were noticed. He has the occasional bad play but overall he's solid.

e) Toronto fans are nauseating. About half the crowd had Matthews and Gilmour jerseys on (probably bandwagoners from Windsor) and they spent the entire game getting up to get hot dogs and Lablatt Blue, and crying about calls. It warmed my heart to watch them filing out with 2 minutes left, their tails between their legs, after the empty-net goal.

f) London Chop House has great steaks, Shinola is a really nice hotel, and The Skip can be a fun bar when they're not crowded.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
While i think this play was a legitimate attempt to kick it to his stick and score a goal, I'm still in favor of the rule (and not just because it disallowed a Leafs goal).

It discourages players from trying to kick the puck in hopes it'll hit something and go in the net. And I think you do need to discourage guys trying to kick things while they're around high traffic areas like the goal crease.

Admittedly I'm also an old crotchety fan who would be fine if all goals off the skate were disallowed like they used to be. You can't punch the puck in the net, why should you be able to direct it in with your skate.
I get the safety concerns and protecting the goalie (but also, goalies need to toughen up :naughty:), it's why I do think pucks kicked in with a distinct kicking motion should be disallowed (as opposed to the minority that thinks those should be good too).

But this case is silly because had he kicked that puck to his stick it would have been a good goal, no problem. Kicking motion fine in that case. But it was disallowed because of.... happenstance.

I also can't bring myself to buy the idea that, if the rule wasn't there, players would be kicking pucks at random objects around the net in the hopes of scoring a goal. If you're in that position and you think, "my best option here is to randomly kick this puck at another player," I am positive it's not, and I don't think any NHLer would think that. More likely, you're going to see attempted skill plays like kicking a puck to your own stick.

To me, it's clearly a misguided rule that has resulted in an otherwise good goal, in the spirit of the game of hockey, being disallowed. And that's unfortunate.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The momentum of a goal should always be caused by a shot.
Nah. That's crazy. What about an intended pass that instead deflects off a body and in?

A goal should always be caused by an effort to score, an effort that doesn't break the rules.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nah. That's crazy. What about an intended pass that instead deflects off a body and in?

A goal should always be caused by an effort to score, an effort that doesn't break the rules.
A pass is just a shot to a teammate.

A goal should always be propelled by a stick.

I get the safety concerns and protecting the goalie (but also, goalies need to toughen up :naughty:), it's why I do think pucks kicked in with a distinct kicking motion should be disallowed (as opposed to the minority that thinks those should be good too).

But this case is silly because had he kicked that puck to his stick it would have been a good goal, no problem. Kicking motion fine in that case. But it was disallowed because of.... happenstance.

I also can't bring myself to buy the idea that, if the rule wasn't there, players would be kicking pucks at random objects around the net in the hopes of scoring a goal. If you're in that position and you think, "my best option here is to randomly kick this puck at another player," I am positive it's not, and I don't think any NHLer would think that. More likely, you're going to see attempted skill plays like kicking a puck to your own stick.

To me, it's clearly a misguided rule that has resulted in an otherwise good goal, in the spirit of the game of hockey, being disallowed. And that's unfortunate.
A goal "in the spirit of the game of hockey" comes off of a hockey stick. This isn't soccer.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

A goal "in the spirit of the game of hockey" comes off of a hockey stick. This isn't soccer.

I will say that the rule is surprisingly clear. I guess if it yields the occasional bad-looking event, that's better than endless interpretations.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

ewoJICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMubGJyLmNsb3VkIiwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAia2V5IjogInB1YmxpYy9yc253aWN3aXA4cGx2aHJnYmVkdS5qcGciLAoJICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJlZGl0cyI6IHsKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJyZXNpemUiOiB7CgkgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJ3aWR0aCI6IDk0NSwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgImhlaWdodCI6IDUyNiwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgImZpdCI6ICJjb3ZlciIKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIH0KCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICB9CgkgICAgICAgICAgICB9

The puck's original momentum was generated by a stick. The kick helped it get to its ultimate destination a hair quicker.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Honestly, he went cold before Chiarot. One goal in the last 20 games for him after ripping it up early.
It's losing Maatta more than gaining Chia. Olli got sick after the game on 12/6. They haven't been together since.

Start of the season to 12/6 Hronek's stats: 25GP 6G 18A 24P +13
From 12/7 to today, Hronek's stats: 15GP 1G 4A 5P +1

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
f*** off with that shit. MFer has shit his pants and basically quit on 3 teams now. Want no part of that in our lockerroom.

How has he quit on 3 teams? Left Colorado for cap reasons. Was traded by BUF because BUF. Is getting older and playing in a more defensive role for St. Louis now.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How has he quit on 3 teams? Left Colorado for cap reasons. Was traded by BUF because BUF. Is getting older and playing in a more defensive role for St. Louis now.
He forced himself out of Colorado and Buffalo. He's always been in a defensive role, St Louis is no different. He doesn't give a shit and plays like shit when things aren't going the way he wants them to go. I'm sure he'll have a glorious honeymoon with whoever trades for him, but a honeymoon is all you get with him.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
ewoJICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMubGJyLmNsb3VkIiwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAia2V5IjogInB1YmxpYy9yc253aWN3aXA4cGx2aHJnYmVkdS5qcGciLAoJICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJlZGl0cyI6IHsKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJyZXNpemUiOiB7CgkgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICJ3aWR0aCI6IDk0NSwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgImhlaWdodCI6IDUyNiwKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgImZpdCI6ICJjb3ZlciIKCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIH0KCSAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICB9CgkgICAgICAgICAgICB9

The puck's original momentum was generated by a stick. The kick helped it get to its ultimate destination a hair quicker.
I don't think it's moving goalposts. The kick clearly added to its momentum and was the last act that propelled the puck into the net.

This goal was a bit of collateral damage from the rule but without it you get into trying to discern what a player's intention was. And to my point earlier if this rule is not in place and there is a goal mouth scramble, if a player's stick is being tied up it does seem like a plausible strategy to kick it at the net in hopes it deflects off something and in.

As @norrisnick pointed out, this isn't soccer. The puck should be propelled into the net by a hockey stick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He forced himself out of Colorado and Buffalo. He's always been in a defensive role, St Louis is no different. He doesn't give a shit and plays like shit when things aren't going the way he wants them to go. I'm sure he'll have a glorious honeymoon with whoever trades for him, but a honeymoon is all you get with him.

I don’t believe that.

Revisiting the Blues' Trade for Ryan O'Reilly

He’s in his 30s now and has played a lot of hockey. His stats are going to drop. It doesn’t help that St. Louis is a much weaker team defensively and in net this year.

In the last 3 years they’ve lost…
Fabbri
Sunny
Perron
Schwartz
Bouwmeester
Pietrangelo
Dunn
Maroon
Bozak
Edmundson
Husso

Those are all pretty good hockey players. Many of the guys that replaced them aren’t as good. I wouldn’t blame the blues being a bubble team on ROR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad