Post-Game Talk: I hate the Leafs, redux

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Walman-Seider looks way better than I expected. Nice game from Chiarot also, so maybe Lalonde has found something with these pairings.

Great game from most of the forwards. Husso also had a good return to form. Overall I think this team has been showing a lot of good signs lately.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Missed most of the game last night. Only caught the last couple minutes of the second. I’ll have to see if ESPN has a recording to watch. Sounds like this was a good one.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Walman's deke move at the blueline has been fun to see the last 2 games and very effective, but I don't think it's too long until teams pick up on it and start to shut it down, if not turn it into a breakaway going the other way

Oh, and being at the game last night, y'all were wrong about the reverse retros. So many fans wearing them and they looked awesome

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Walman's deke move at the blueline has been fun to see the last 2 games and very effective, but I don't think it's too long until teams pick up on it and start to shut it down, if not turn it into a breakaway going the other way

Oh, and being at the game last night, y'all were wrong about the reverse retros. So many fans wearing them and they looked awesome
I think he had a similar move only on the right side. Obviously the league is aware of his move, but if they don't bite he can pinch down the left side.

I think Erne, Bertuzzi and Berggren had their slam dunk chances.
I liked Chiarot and Berggren tonight. I think Berggren creates the most. He set up Fabbri for the goal, he had his slam dunk chance, he had another try to shoot, but he chose to pass it to Fabbri. He was involved in 3 great chances.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
Fabbri I didn't realize was such an important top 6er I always thought of him as the odd man out and could be traded and I would be okay with it. But having so many surgies and still young and coming out like he has is so awesome. Alllllso Walman came from St Louis too right? What good pieces

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Fabbri I didn't realize was such an important top 6er I always thought of him as the odd man out and could be traded and I would be okay with it. But having so many surgies and still young and coming out like he has is so awesome. Alllllso Walman came from St Louis too right? What good pieces
Walman, Fabbri, Sundqvist, Husso, and a second for Leddy, De la Rose, and a third. Pretty good work from Stevie.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Walman might be one of the best dman skaters in the league. Dude can fly and actually make things happen with the puck at the same time. Fun to watch

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Walman might be one of the best dman skaters in the league. Dude can fly and actually make things happen with the puck at the same time. Fun to watch
I’m amazed that he’s a plus 14 in the 23 games he’s played. That’s pretty impressive.

Chiarot had his best game In awhile yesterday but was still caught pinching a few too many times. He’s just an uncontrolled mess right now

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’m amazed that he’s a plus 14 in the 23 games he’s played. That’s pretty impressive.

Chiarot had his best game In awhile yesterday but was still caught pinching a few too many times. He’s just an uncontrolled mess right now
I think Chia is just chaos. He disrupts. You just hope that on any given night the disruption is aimed at the opposition.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I think he had a similar move only on the right side. Obviously the league is aware of his move, but if they don't bite he can pinch down the left side.

I think Erne, Bertuzzi and Berggren had their slam dunk chances.
I liked Chiarot and Berggren tonight. I think Berggren creates the most. He set up Fabbri for the goal, he had his slam dunk chance, he had another try to shoot, but he chose to pass it to Fabbri. He was involved in 3 great chances.
Berggie is consistently around positive plays, specifically in the offensive zone. In general the team continues to be too selfless with the puck at times. Both Perron and Berggie should have taken the shots on those odd man rushes. Although it has seemed like Berggie has been shooting more as his confidence rises. Was nice to see Seider get one as well. He has seemingly hit numerous posts in the last several games. Had a feeling he was due for one.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They still look terrible, and shame on the fans who bought them for encouraging that nonsense :thumbd:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Finally some lines I really like, keep it rolling

86E7BAB0-9243-4912-9971-F9891AE16247.png

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
He's still not great defensively, but he's gotten so much better since last season. And so his speed, coupled with the fact that he's not a midget, really plays up defensively. It's nice to have a capable defender who can get back that quick. It allows him to make the pinches he does make.

I liked the upside I saw in him last season and so I'm happy the Wings stuck with him and gave him opportunities.

I remember arguing with MBH over Walman vs Juolevi, or whatever his name was. That was a fun one. Where's Juolevi this season?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Ok, so the waved off Leafs goal. I assume that was talked about in the GDT? I do understand that that was the correct call, given the rule and how it's written. But damn, that's just a good hockey goal, I don't care what the rule-writers say.

You take a puck to the net, into traffic, attempt to kick the puck to your stick, but before it gets to your stick it deflects off an opposing player and into their own net? And that's a bad goal? For shame. Fix the rule, stop ruining the game. It's like the disallowed USA goal and people thinking a puck should be frozen if the goalie breathes on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupGuru

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ok, so the waved off Leafs goal. I assume that was talked about in the GDT? I do understand that that was the correct call, given the rule and how it's written. But damn, that's just a good hockey call, I don't care what the rule-writers say.

You take a puck to the net, into traffic, attempt to kick the puck to your stick, but before it gets to your stick it deflects off an opposing player and into their own net? And that's a bad goal? For shame. Fix the rule, stop ruining the game. It's like the disallowed USA goal and people thinking a puck should be frozen if the goalie breathes on it.
While i think this play was a legitimate attempt to kick it to his stick and score a goal, I'm still in favor of the rule (and not just because it disallowed a Leafs goal).

It discourages players from trying to kick the puck in hopes it'll hit something and go in the net. And I think you do need to discourage guys trying to kick things while they're around high traffic areas like the goal crease.

Admittedly I'm also an old crotchety fan who would be fine if all goals off the skate were disallowed like they used to be. You can't punch the puck in the net, why should you be able to direct it in with your skate.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
While i think this play was a legitimate attempt to kick it to his stick and score a goal, I'm still in favor of the rule (and not just because it disallowed a Leafs goal).

It discourages players from trying to kick the puck in hopes it'll hit something and go in the net. And I think you do need to discourage guys trying to kick things while they're around high traffic areas like the goal crease.

Admittedly I'm also an old crotchety fan who would be fine if all goals off the skate were disallowed like they used to be. You can't punch the puck in the net, why should you be able to direct it in with your skate.
The momentum of a goal should always be caused by a shot.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Was there Wings home feed for this game?

That ESPN was so annoying.
I now have it on my ESPN+ service so I can at least watch the whole game, but it is the ESPN broadcast. I assume it wasn't available on BSDET at all. Too bad - would have loved to have heard Mickey's stories about "these two original 6 teams and their rivalry". Woulda been good.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Eww. Watching the game. Just saw the no-goal. I understand the rule and the call, but that's a crazappy result. The kid never intended for that kick to go where it did, AND it caromed in off another skate.

Yuck.

Reactions: jaster

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Im'ma need a transcript of Marner's (?) bitching. Both actual and funny versions accepted.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Walman, Fabbri, Sundqvist, Husso, and a second for Leddy, De la Rose, and a third. Pretty good work from Stevie.

Don’t forget that we signed Perron from there.

I’m also kind of hoping we snag another piece from them like Barbashev or snag ROR for the 3C spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad