Post-Game Talk: I hate OT this year

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I was going to suggest reanimating velociraptors (hello Jurassic Park) but there will still be old fogeys complaining they're not "real" velociraptors

...can we put a Raptor in Kindl's uniform? Please?

The reffing tonight was pretty horrible, alot of missed calls and with tonight being a national game with Ovechkin close to breaking Fedorov's record you could tell what was happening.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think we outshot washington or at least were in the game when they had 4 powerplays and we had like 1.

how come we werent winning

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
All of them would have played but you play them based on who can possess the puck the best not based on whose the fastest.

Speed is a nice advantage to have if the player with speed is also a possession guy, but Larkin wouldn't have won the face-off and that opening face-off of 3 on 3 is the most important face-off of the game. More often than not its the only one of the whole OT.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are as near to perfect of a duo for 3 on 3 as you could possibly have, although I'll concede I have no idea what Kindl was doing out there with them.

I am a bit surprised.
This goal is on Kindl and Kindl only. He creates this chaos by going for a line change when they have the puck.
I mean this is basic hockey.
All you posters want to talk about hockey, but 4 pages and nobody mentions basic hockey.
How can you go for a line change when the opponent has the puck in the neutral zone.
Blashill is an idiot for putting Kindl out there.

Do we really have to teach Blashill basic hockey?
Kronwall or Green should have started or DeKeyser. Kindl should be the 4th choise.
The only reason Blashill plays Kindl is if Holland has told him to showcase Kindl.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
What happend with this Datsyuk?

I know it's 6 years ago, but still.. do you really get that much slower in 6 years?

6 years is a LONG time for a pro-athlete in their 30s, especially with the injury history Dats has had the last years.

But he was a top 5 point producer on PPG-wise last year, he is still elite. Z I think is not quite elite anymore, but still in the higher echelon of NHL players and a difference maker.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The Wings had their chances. Two breakaways. Helm had another golden opportunity but got robbed. The game could have gone either way.

Actual Thought*

How about they score some goals and the game never goes to OT? Personnel in OT should be the least of their worries. The create virtually no offence ever.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
mrazek is unbelievable

so too is larkin

the defence still needs work but again i thought kindl was solid, its dekeyser and ericsson and kronwall who disapoint the most game after game

stay out of the box, be a man and taking a roughing penalty or a fighting major or get nothing at all but hooking, tripping, interference, slashing are all pathetic penalties as they're based on being too small and too weak

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
mrazek is unbelievable

so too is larkin

the defence still needs work but again i thought kindl was solid, its dekeyser and ericsson and kronwall who disapoint the most game after game

stay out of the box, be a man and taking a roughing penalty or a fighting major or get nothing at all but hooking, tripping, interference, slashing are all pathetic penalties as they're based on being too small and too weak

Mrazek and Larkin are the two best players on the roster.

OK, maybe not, but it's starting to look more and more that way.

Also, DK has looked pretty awful as of late. Wonder what's happening there.

Actual Thought*

mrazek is unbelievable

so too is larkin

Those penalties result from being constantly caught out of position.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Speed is much more useful in a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 situation but in 3 on 3, the ONLY thing that matters is possession.

You don't take low risk shots, you don't want faceoffs, you don't make risky passes and you never dump the puck in.

THIS.

Everyone acts like speed is THE factor in 3 on 3; dreaming up Lines of Athanasiou, Larkin, and Jensen.

When in reality, it would be much better to have control of the puck for the full 5 minutes in the other teams zone. I don't know that there's 2 players in the league I'd rather have out there together for 3 on 3 than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Their puck possession abilities and creativeness together is perfect for 3 on 3.

The only time speed matters in 3 on 3 is when you create a turnover in your defensive zone, and with 3 on 3, there's so much open ice that the speed rarely makes a difference. Is Tatar the fastest player in the league so that he got a breakaway by 5 steps the other day, or would Dan Cleary still have had a breakaway by 2 steps?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I know it's 6 years ago, but still.. do you really get that much slower in 6 years?
Not that much happened, but 6 years at the wrong side of 30 can make a big difference in terms of speed. Still he looks like he's just getting back up to speed this season, he hasn't quite got his legs yet. He probably hasn't gotten that much slower in reality, but the league has also gotten faster.

Kindl hasn't been bad but it is so obvious this team is missing a difference maker on the backend.
We are missing anyone who doesn't think they can shoot the puck through 5 players. I'm sick of this D having the puck on the blueline and looking like they're picking their spot with a slapshot and they fire it into the closest player. Only time they hit the net is when the goalie is completely unscreened. This is hurting our offense big time.

Is anyone else going to show up on the scoresheet or are we going to keep relying on a kid? Something has to be done with that useless line of Miller-AA-Pulks. If Miller isn't going to be used in a checking role I don't see the point in him even playing.
Well one idea would be to play that line a little bit more. Athanasiou and Pulkkinen have shown an ability to create offense, but AA had 6 minutes of icetime and Pulkkinen 9.
Z looks no different than the 2nd half of last season. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he hits 50 points this season.

We should really work on decreasing his ice time.

Dats will be fine as long as he isn't injured
Neither of them should be playing 20 minutes per game. We should be playing them at least 1 minute less per game or so. Nyquist, Larkin, Tatar, AA, Pulkkinen, Sheahan can all pick up 1 or 2 extra shifts per game.

Age doesn't affect your ability to control the puck.

Puck control is the only thing that matters in 3 on 3 hockey.
If you're retrieving pucks, you're not doing it right.
3-on-3 is completely different from 5-on-5 or even 4-on-4. It's all about man-on-man play. You win 1 footrace and you have a scoring chance. Sending out 3 players that can't win a footrace against anyone is a recipe for disaster. I understand your point, we should have the puck 100% of the time. But it doesn't work that way in reality. And the most dangerous chances in 3-on-3 are ALWAYS created through rushes that happen after broken plays or a missed opportunity on one end.

We have enough speed in our lineup that we can always have 1 or 2 fast players on the ice. It's not like Nyquist, Tatar or Larkin are terrible possession players. Z+Nyquist, Dats+Tatar, Larkin+Pulkkinen or something like that is perfect. Don't have to act like we're advocating an approach of Helm+AA+Glendening just because we want speed on the ice.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
THIS.

Everyone acts like speed is THE factor in 3 on 3; dreaming up Lines of Athanasiou, Larkin, and Jensen.

When in reality, it would be much better to have control of the puck for the full 5 minutes in the other teams zone. I don't know that there's 2 players in the league I'd rather have out there together for 3 on 3 than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Their puck possession abilities and creativeness together is perfect for 3 on 3.

The only time speed matters in 3 on 3 is when you create a turnover in your defensive zone, and with 3 on 3, there's so much open ice that the speed rarely makes a difference. Is Tatar the fastest player in the league so that he got a breakaway by 5 steps the other day, or would Dan Cleary still have had a breakaway by 2 steps?

i honestly completely disagree

speed is everything in 3 on 3 as almost every goal is scored off a turnover

no chance whatsoever datsyuk and zetterberg create a turnover AND be able to move in the other direction faster than the other team espescially when those turnovers occur in the middle of the rink or in our own end

open ice in hockey is ALL about speed, its when the open ice disappears that a guy like datsyuk shines because he can control the puck in tight spaces

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
no chance whatsoever datsyuk and zetterberg create a turnover AND be able to move in the other direction faster than the other team espescially when those turnovers occur in the middle of the rink or in our own end

Tatar's goal the other day was a result of turnovers. You really don't think Datsyuk and Zetterberg wouldn't have scored?

That play was a result of creating a turnover and reading the play. Something I trust Datsyuk and Zetterberg to do way more than anyone else on the team

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Tatar's goal the other day was a result of turnovers. You really don't think Datsyuk and Zetterberg wouldn't have scored?

That play was a result of creating a turnover and reading the play. Something I trust Datsyuk and Zetterberg to do way more than anyone else on the team

I honestly do not think either of them could get themselves that open AND beat the oppossing dman in a foot race from just outside the blueline in

That isnt what makes them dangerous

Looking at all the OT goals scored they're usually turnovers in one end witha quick counter the other way with an odd man rush, somethung their is zero percent chance either.of them can do anymore

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Actually I think it was just 2 games ago Datsyuk was skating back to backcheck on a giveaway and his burst of speed was amazing, I thought to myself, "dang, when did Datsyuk become such a speed skater". It was really impressive.

He doesn't use it all the time, which is why I think it's deceptive... plus he's still in "conditioning" mode, give him some more time. His skating isn't an issue.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually I think it was just 2 games ago Datsyuk was skating back to backcheck on a giveaway and his burst of speed was amazing, I thought to myself, "dang, when did Datsyuk become such a speed skater". It was really impressive.

He doesn't use it all the time, which is why I think it's deceptive... plus he's still in "conditioning" mode, give him some more time. His skating isn't an issue.

Yeah, even at his age I still don't think Datsyuk is slow.

But I would lean heavily on Larkin, Nyquist, and Tatar for OT. Larkin's earlier goal is exactly the type of goal you score in 3 on 3 OT.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I am a bit surprised.
This goal is on Kindl and Kindl only. He creates this chaos by going for a line change when they have the puck.
I mean this is basic hockey.
All you posters want to talk about hockey, but 4 pages and nobody mentions basic hockey.
How can you go for a line change when the opponent has the puck in the neutral zone.
Blashill is an idiot for putting Kindl out there.

Do we really have to teach Blashill basic hockey?
Kronwall or Green should have started or DeKeyser. Kindl should be the 4th choise.
The only reason Blashill plays Kindl is if Holland has told him to showcase Kindl.
Kindl is to Blash as Cleary was to Babs.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
So many aspects of today's game never used to be a thing in hockey. Like forward passing :sarcasm:.

Now that you mention it... That does make a lot of sense. Because one change is good, that DOES mean that any and all changes have to be good as well! I can see no flaw in that logic at all.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Glad to get the pt but FLA still has a game in-hand so we are not in a playoff spot by p%. Thankfully our division is garbage, need TB to keep losing to make the post season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad