Post-Game Talk: i don't like this team right now (Mod warning post #93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is what losing looks like, folks. Hope those wanting a tank are liking what they're seeing because you'll see a lot more of this for years to come. Enjoy.
If my options are to see some ugly hockey, with the purpose of trying to acquire elite talent, or to see some ugly hockey, with the purpose of collecting mediocre veterans, I'll take the former.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
this team does not have a dump and chase roster. tartar, larkin, nquist, etc are fast skaters meaning the strategy is doomed to fail.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is what losing looks like, folks. Hope those wanting a tank are liking what they're seeing because you'll see a lot more of this for years to come. Enjoy.

You know the people calling for a tank are also the same people who want an actual rebuild, not just tanking for the sake of tanking. That means no long term ******** contracts to Abby and Helm.

You can't keep pretending like the people who asked for a tank are happy with this and this is what we asked for. There's a right and wrong way to rebuild through a tank. We're doing it the completely wrong way. We're a ****ing cap team that sucks. We're a tanking team with too many long term contracts.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Looking at the standings and associated stats, this team has some work to do if it's going to contend with Colorado, Vancouver, and Arizona for a Top 3 pick, but it's still reasonably possible for a Top 5. Hopefully another defenseman sneaks into that tier, but I'll take a good center as a consolation prize.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The point is a lot of folks were calling for Holland to tank this past offseason (and season's prior). Don't sign players like Helm or Nielsen and simply eat Datsyuk's contract, etc. These very same people are now upset this team is losing, which to me makes no sense. You're getting exactly what you wanted, didn't you? Who cares what the GM's intent was. You're getting the precious loses you so desired. You should be happy. The team is moving in the direction you wanted. You'll get your high draft pick!

Buckle up, though. There's way more losing in the years to come. :)

You're intentionally, I can only assume, omitting the fact that people have always considered tanking to be a necessary evil, a hard pill to swallow. Not as if losing hockey is what they want to see. It's not the losing they want, it's future winning.

For those still desperately living on 'anything can happen when you make the playoffs' Fantasy Island (and we're not even making the playoffs looks like :handclap:), this is not a good team anymore. Sorry, just a fact at this point. If you want to win again, the team will have to change dramatically. So tell me, who wants to lose exactly?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Feel like it's just a matter of days until Blashill gets fired. This performance is simply unacceptable

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
In before fire Holl ... ah damn it.

Could we just combine their names to save energy? Fire Blashland! :)

I was gonna head down to Detroit to see a "Farewell to the Joe" game in April. If they keep playing like this it won't be worth the money and I'll stay home.

Money, what? They will be paying fans to attend the Joe by April!

I must say it's a difficult time for Wings fans. So many have never known what it feels like to be a loser team, we're in uncharted territory. As has been said multiple times this is the cycle of a post-cap NHL it's inevitable. Still a shock to be on the opposite side of the coin like the organizations we've mocked for years. Hell Boston missed the PO's 2 years, Montreal and EVERY Canadian team were out last season. We've had things ultra cozy and now is a rough stretch.

I'm on my way to the Carolina and Buffalo forums to seek advice on how to cope with the anguish. :sarcasm:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This what you guys wanted right? The team to suck? To suck so bad the team would look like the way it is now? Cannot be content and expect the team to lose and get a high daft pick without complaining.

Happy losing!

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This what you guys want right? The team to suck? To suck so bad the team would look like the way it is now? Cannot be upset and expect the team to lose and get a high daft pick without complaining.

Yeah i wanted the Wings to tank.

Tanking doesn't involve having the most expensive roster in the NHL.

Tanking doesn't involve handing out multiple half decade long contracts.

This isn't tanking. This is Holland just being bad at his job.

Real shocker!!!!!!!!

Which is why i don't want him to be involved in the upcoming rebuild. Dude belongs in a museum with the rest of the fossils.

I just hope he still has a shred of competence left and trades away Vanek, Green and Howard before the TDL.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yeah i wanted the Wings to tank.

Tanking doesn't involve having the most expensive roster in the NHL.

Tanking doesn't involve handing out multiple half decade long contracts.

This isn't tanking. This is Holland just being bad at his job.

Real shocker!!!!!!!!

What does it matter if the team sucks? Cap space is irrelevant. It's going to be idol money anyways.

People need to quit with the cap space excuse. If you to tank - suck it up. Don't make excuses because you're seeing your favorite team go through it for the first time in 30 years. :laugh:

Taking has nothing to do with cap space. You're not going to sign top notch players while sucking regardless.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
What does it matter if the team sucks? Cap space is irrelevant. It's going to be idol money anyways.

People need to quit with the cap space excuse. If you to tank - suck it up. Don't make excuses because you're seeing your favorite team go through it for the first time in 30 years. :laugh:

Taking has nothing to do with cap space. You're not going to sign top notch players while sucking regardless.

When you tank, you make sure you don't have multiple long term commitments on the books.

You keep your cap space down so that you have the financial flexibility to make trades with teams that are contending, because when you trade with those teams, they will typically not have a ton of cap space available. See Bryan Bickell trade to Carolina.

Holland has ****** the Wings today, and he has ****** them in the future.

Best GM in hockey. Rebuild on the fly!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
The locker room is lost. We need you Dan Cleary

Leadership needs to step up big time right now. Someone in the locker needs to get the team together and tell them to start manning up, or tell Trashill his sytem/coaching isn't working we need a change.

This what you guys wanted right? The team to suck? To suck so bad the team would look like the way it is now? Cannot be content and expect the team to lose and get a high daft pick without complaining.

Happy losing!

The people that wanted us to rebuild, wanted a true rebuild. Basically a team that is getting rid of contracts and trading away players for picks and not giving players like Helm, Abby, and E long term contracts.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Feel like it's just a matter of days until Blashill gets fired. This performance is simply unacceptable

Agreed. I think we're going to see a coaching change sooner rather than later; I'd be really surprised if Blashill is around when the New Year rolls around.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

The point of tanking is to rebuild with elite talent via high draft picks, and then have the flexibility to supplement that core with good surrounding players.

That aim is negated by the practice of handing out golden parachutes to every halfway decent role player that comes along.

So while I'm fully on board with the ugly box scores, I'd like the nonsense associated with the franchise's recent identity crisis to stop as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Don't sign players like Helm or Nielsen and simply eat Datsyuk's contract, etc. These very same people are now upset this team is losing, which to me makes no sense. You're getting exactly what you wanted, didn't you? Who cares what the GM's intent was. You're getting the precious loses you so desired. You should be happy. The team is moving in the direction you wanted. You'll get your high draft pick!
Are you being intentionally dishonest? First you say we didn't want guys like Helm and Nielsen signed.

The very next line you say "you're getting exactly what you wanted."

We did sign Helm and Nielsen. We didn't get what we wanted, obviously.

Losing isn't losing isn't losing. There's a right and a wrong way to lose. Intent, long term plans matter. There's a team like us who loses because we're just bad. There's a team like Toronto who has an actual long term plan in mind and in which losing for a few years is part of that plan.

If you really think this you have no idea what the purpose of tanking is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The people that wanted us to rebuild, wanted a true rebuild. Basically a team that is getting rid of contracts and trading away players for picks and not giving players like Helm, Abby, and E long term contracts.

At the end of the day you still have to have a minimum $54 million in salary spent. Guys like Zetterberg, Green, Howard, Kronwall, etc. will all be gone in two years or less. It's not like this team is saddled with multiple players making over $7 million for 13 years or something. People are freaking out over this for nothing.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
The point of tanking is to rebuild with elite talent via high draft picks, and then have the flexibility to supplement that core with good surrounding players.

That aim is negated by the practice of handing out golden parachutes to every halfway decent role player that comes along.

So while I'm fully on board with the ugly box scores, I'd like the nonsense associated with the franchise's recent identity crisis to stop as well.

The team has plenty of supporting players who would thrive under different circumstances.

Also, could you please change your picture. Really annoys me that your consider yourself a Wings fan and still contribute here with that logo active.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Happy losing!

This is not "the right kind of bad". And since we're stuck with the contracts for a while, you'll never hear anything but *****ing for a few more years, playoffs or not. After that comes the rebuild period, which I predict will be just more *****ing and moaning cause "so-and-so didn't draft the so-and-so I personally wanted and is ruining the rebuild #firehimimmediately!!!!11eleven". After that, if we're lucky, comes the contender phase, during which we'll see even more *****ing, because a contender is just a glorified term for a team that usually ends up losing when expected to win. And, if we're really, really, REALLY (emphasis on really) lucky, we get to win a Cup. Then we'll hear *****ing about so-and-so not playing the right people enough, playing the wrong people too much and generally just "not doing it the right way".

So, nope, you'll never hear the end of the *****ing and moaning. What else you'll never hear is one of the armchair GMs/coaches get off their armchair, take their brilliant ideas and apply for the actual job. It's way easier and more fulfilling to ***** endlessly and start polls about the same crap that fills every single thread just to hear the chamber echo back. Enjoy!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Are you being intentionally dishonest? First you say we didn't want guys like Helm and Nielsen signed.

The very next line you say "you're getting exactly what you wanted."

We did sign Helm and Nielsen. We didn't get what we wanted, obviously.

Losing isn't losing isn't losing. There's a right and a wrong way to lose. Intent, long term plans matter. There's a team like us who loses because we're just bad. There's a team like Toronto who has an actual long term plan in mind and in which losing for a few years is part of that plan.

If you really think this you have no idea what the purpose of tanking is.

I know exactly what a ******* tank is. You people seem to lack the rationale behind them of what is relavent during a rebuild.

Claypool pretty much hit the bullseye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad