Post-Game Talk: I don't care who we played, I finally liked what we saw

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Hey does anybody think Helm could become a Pavelski type player? He's been puttin the puck in the net lately.

Absolutely not. Definitely a good third line center who can add secondary scoring, but Pavelski 30 goal/ 70 points type player. Helm will never get those numbers. At best (and I mean career year), he might hit 20 goals and 25-30 assists. And that is really pushing it. I say he gets 15 goals and 40 points this season if he stays healthy and that's optimistic.

Johnz96*

Helm relishing his role as the 2C. He also scored 11 points in 13 games in his only other extended opportunity as the 2C in 09-10 when the Wings had a slew of injuries.

Brandel*

On a side note, Zetterberg is now 2nd in league scoring (by himself), only behind Crosby

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Assuming Datsyuk retires after his newest extension is done, we still have a pretty good group of guys to shoulder the load.

So aged Z who is likely more around #2C effectiveness rather than #1C effectiveness.

A not-playing-quite-so-poorly/ more healed and/or comfortable Weiss.

A speedy Helm who is showing flashes of finish and better offensive instincts than we are used to seeing.

And likely/ hopefully Jarnkrok is becoming a top 9 C/ on the cusp of being good enough to be a top 6 C.

Then we still have Andersson/ Glendening/ Sheahan/ Emmerton/ Abdelkader if need be? for our bottom line.

Weiss and Helm could also be tried as top 6 Wingers more frequently in the future. Helm's speed and Z's playmaking ability could be pretty dangerous.

Yeah the sky is falling in Detroit now that it is pretty obvious our team is not nearly as good as it once was, but if you were paying any attention at all post Cup + Cup finals seasons, this was coming pretty quickly. Just glad we decided to stock the cupboard in that time frame.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think the majority of the board will hate Howard's contract very soon. 6 years was absolutely ridiculous...
Six years is too long but basically throwing in the towel on a Calder runner-up that has a career save percentage that's comparable to that of Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne and Ryan Miller is a little knee-jerk. At times he's played like a ****** goalie on a ****** hockey team. Other times he looks like he regained form. So ultimately, he looks like the Detroit Red Wings. Let's not pretend Monster transforms the Red Wings into some majestic team. Right now he gives them the best shot to win, but you still have to play your starter, Howard. The simple answer is rotate them every game. For Monster's sake, I hope he doesn't start on Wednesday against Boston.

Franzen's is the contract everyone should hate before Howards. If you absolutely had to, you can trade Howard's contract away. I'm sure there is a slew of other teams that would gladly take Jimmy Howard as their starter. You can't trade Franzen's contract away though.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I would really be interested to see an experiment with Weiss on the top line right now. Meaning Zetterberg-Weiss-Nyquist. Playing with those two could really boost his confidence and give him a chance to excel on this team.

Second line could be Tatar-Helm-Franzen. They've all shown good chemistry together when given the opportunity. Helm is on fire. Swap Alfie in somewhere if they struggle.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
To me Howard well this year so far things haven't been going to well for him it seems like somehow get out of position and leaves the net wide open for easy goals and well the monster is playing decent a whole lot better than he did in Toronto.

Also I hope Holland does something to allow some of the younger guys to come and play for the big club or get another maybe 4-6 experienced dman. I wasn't happy to see cleary re sign with the wings this summer I think he needs a change and as do the Wings. I'm little tired of seeing Holland trade/sign recycled Wings who have played for them in the past rather see some of the guys from the griffins get a chance after all the third line they had going last year in the playoffs was a nice spark for them and maybe it could do the same year and push some guys already on the roster to play harder and better.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You will if he continues to carry Sammy and Cleary as linemates.

I thought that was more from Babcock wanting to limit Weiss's minutes than anything. He gets healthier, Datsyuk comes back, and we can start rolling out a very nice group of forwards.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Assuming Datsyuk retires after his newest extension is done, we still have a pretty good group of guys to shoulder the load.

So aged Z who is likely more around #2C effectiveness rather than #1C effectiveness.

A not-playing-quite-so-poorly/ more healed and/or comfortable Weiss.

A speedy Helm who is showing flashes of finish and better offensive instincts than we are used to seeing.

And likely/ hopefully Jarnkrok is becoming a top 9 C/ on the cusp of being good enough to be a top 6 C.

Then we still have Andersson/ Glendening/ Sheahan/ Emmerton/ Abdelkader if need be? for our bottom line.

Weiss and Helm could also be tried as top 6 Wingers more frequently in the future. Helm's speed and Z's playmaking ability could be pretty dangerous.

Yeah the sky is falling in Detroit now that it is pretty obvious our team is not nearly as good as it once was, but if you were paying any attention at all post Cup + Cup finals seasons, this was coming pretty quickly. Just glad we decided to stock the cupboard in that time frame.

Don't forget about Janmark.

In my opinion he's closer to playing in the NHL than most realize, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better shot of being a top 6 forward than Jarnkrok, given Janmark's size.

He really is the "dark horse" in the system.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Went to the game tonight, was a lot of fun.

Team as a whole seems faster, which is a good thing. Didn't think anyone played terrible, everyone played with pretty good energy.

Helm had a really sweet goal, but his turn-over that led to Buffalo's goal was brutal.

I really like Gustavsson in net, I'm beginning to favor just playing the hot hand and giving him a shot as long as he's winning.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

In my opinion he's closer to playing in the NHL than most realize, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better shot of being a top 6 forward than Jarnkrok, given Janmark's size.

Someone else had mentioned Janmark from somewhere, but isn't he a winger?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Someone else had mentioned Janmark from somewhere, but isn't he a winger?

To my knowledge he plays both wing and center in Sweden. Not that good at draws, but knows how to play the position (center).

Haven't seen him much, but that's the understanding I have.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did Cleary get benched in the 3rd again tonight? Can't remember... I don't remember seeing him out there for like the last 10-15 minutes.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I was there today as well. My first game.
So much more fun than watching it on TV.

Z, Nyquist, Helm, Gus had a good game.

Smith and Cleary not so much

RedWingsNow*

How do I vote?
Why is Franzen lower than Zetterberg?

Buffalo is a bad team and we made them look decent. Hopefully this generates some much needed confidence. Gustavsson for Hart!!! :)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

I think he's closer to the NHL than Jarnkrok, mainly because he's slightly bigger and faster. He can also play on the wing. Adjusting to the smaller ice could take a while for both guys but the talent is there.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
How do I vote?
Why is Franzen lower than Zetterberg?

Buffalo is a bad team and we made them look decent. Hopefully this generates some much needed confidence. Gustavsson for Hart!!! :)

I don't think you can vote until you've been a registered member for a certain amount of time. Three months maybe? The order in the poll is just random I believe so Zetterberg above Franzen doesn't mean anything.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Play of the year has to be
Cleary skates over the blu line, then he just falls, nobody touches him and the Sabres skate Down the ice and get a good scoring chance, it is 3:33 to go in the 2 period.
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad