Post-Game Talk: I don't care who we played, I finally liked what we saw

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I've been quietly optimistic about Weiss since he was signed, but enough is freaking enough.
I don't care if he's in a new system, I don't care anymore if he was hurt most of last season, I don't care that he just came back from injury and I do not care that he played with Cleary and Samuelsson tonight.

I saw flashes of what I thought we might be getting from him in maybe 2 or 3 games this season, the rest of the season, like tonight, he has been a non-factor save for some good face-off numbers, though tonight he was awful at the dot, but I will give him a pass on that.

Especially with Datsyuk down and possibly out for an extended period, our playoff hopes might hinge on what Weiss does from here on out. I hated losing filppula but was not unhappy with the Weiss signing until recently. Truly it is time to bury the excuses for this guy and hold him to the standards and expectations that a man taking in 5M per year should be held to.

Goes without saying that I am pulling for him.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I think I would roll with Gus more simply because he seems to be getting a lot more puck luck around the net than Howard this season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Weiss still no points, but he looked okay out there imo. Especially that one set up to Sammy I think? Made a couple great moves and set him up right in the slot. But poor Weiss, doesn't he know that's just another logo hunter save for Miller?

that was a helluva move by Weiss. If he starts bringing that kind of move on a nightly basis, then I don't think we'll have to worry about him not putting up points.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
thank you mr relevant

datsyuk is better than zetterberg so I'm not sure what you're insinuating

Better is a matter of personal preference IMO. I hate the stupid Datsyuk vs. Z debates, but Z has lead this team every game this year. Has the most points, plays as hard of minutes as anyone on the team. Losing Datsyuk is terrible, but Z makes up for it and showed it today.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I've been quietly optimistic about Weiss since he was signed, but enough is freaking enough.
I don't care if he's in a new system, I don't care anymore if he was hurt most of last season, I don't care that he just came back from injury and I do not care that he played with Cleary and Samuelsson tonight.

I saw flashes of what I thought we might be getting from him in maybe 2 or 3 games this season, the rest of the season, like tonight, he has been a non-factor save for some good face-off numbers, though tonight he was awful at the dot, but I will give him a pass on that.

Especially with Datsyuk down and possibly out for an extended period, our playoff hopes might hinge on what Weiss does from here on out. I hated losing filppula but was not unhappy with the Weiss signing until recently. Truly it is time to bury the excuses for this guy and hold him to the standards and expectations that a man taking in 5M per year should be held to.

He was good tonight, especially early on. Not even Datsyuk could carry Cleary and Sammy to success though. Weiss just needs to get some solid time with good players like Nyquist, Z, Tatar, Alfie..

I think I would roll with Gus more simply because he seems to be getting a lot more puck luck around the net than Howard this season.
It may seem like puck 'luck' but it's not. Gus is fighting for pucks, he's following plays and being a lot more active than Howard. It doesn't always look pretty but usually he gets the job done. Howard just seems out of it this season. Like he's not focused or motivated. So often he'll stare into nothingness as the puck is loose around the crease.

More starts for Gus.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
He was good tonight, especially early on. Not even Datsyuk could carry Cleary and Sammy to success though. Weiss just needs to get some solid time with good players like Nyquist, Z, Tatar, Alfie..

Ok, that is good to hear; I missed the 2nd and part of the third and really just looked at his stat line when I got home. When Dats went down I decided I'd put a personal spot light on Weiss, hopefully he'll start putting up some points.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Better is a matter of personal preference IMO. I hate the stupid Datsyuk vs. Z debates, but Z has lead this team every game this year. Has the most points, plays as hard of minutes as anyone on the team. Losing Datsyuk is terrible, but Z makes up for it and showed it today.

I realize what you are saying, but there isn't one player in the league that can single handedly make up for losing Datsyuk.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I saw a stat that Zetterberg is involved in ~45% of the goals scored. Regardless, it doesn't matter if Zetterberg is better than Datsyuk or vice versa. They're both unique and on the same team. And they're arguably better together than any other pair of players outside the Sedins in the league, and you can probably form an argument for that too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Not lately actually. Zetterberg has been better this whole year.

Which is really what I was getting at, I don't think we were without our best player today. Z was stellar today once again and has been the best Red Wings player through the quarter poll. We need Datsyuk he has been our second best player, but to say we were without our best player today is not something I agree with. Our best player was there and he was our best player once again today.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Good news is:

Sammy and Cleary are now on the 4th line, receiving horrible minutes. And it appears one of them will eventually be cut from this team (I hope)

Bad news is:

Weiss is on the 4th line with those bums, and its only sinking him further.

Overall: I am ok with this. But can't see anyone rising from out of this line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
that was a helluva move by Weiss. If he starts bringing that kind of move on a nightly basis, then I don't think we'll have to worry about him not putting up points.

You will if he continues to carry Sammy and Cleary as linemates.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I realize what you are saying, but there isn't one player in the league that can single handedly make up for losing Datsyuk.

Oh come on, there's plenty. Same for Z. If we could just replace Datsyuk with Crosby, we're fine. If Crosby goes down and they replace him with Datsyuk, they're fine.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Yup glad to finally get rid of that deadweight. Filppula was just holding this team back.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good news is:

Sammy and Cleary are now on the 4th line, receiving horrible minutes. And it appears one of them will eventually be cut from this team (I hope)

Bad news is:

Weiss is on the 4th line with those bums, and its only sinking him further.

Overall: I am ok with this. But can't see anyone rising from out of this line.

Weiss was there only because he should have rested this game. But that Datsyuk injury pushed him to lineup. It was precautious usage after his injury.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think we're also seeing that Alfredsson is a difference maker when he's healthy and in the lineup. Some people in the offseason thought that should be Brunner, but I think Brunner is showing to be another Leino type player. But he doesn't have the attitude problem.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I liked what I saw too. Again the DRW held pressure for extended parts and continue to get pucks to the net. Keep shooting boys!

It's like a bad flashback though controlling the 1st period decisively and still coming out tied or behind. Small mistakes/letdowns are killing us as we should be capitalizing off our hot starts.

Kronwall had some absolutely delicious moves he was alert for sure. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Lashoff, same as always. Never hate any of our D and they battled as usual, this time came out victorious. It's always a crapshoot with them. Ericsson is obviously still getting back to game speed after being out what, 2 or 3 weeks?

Good to see Helm make up for another of his terrible giveaways. He is going to be amazing but it's going to take time for him to be 100% where he was 2 seasons ago. I don't mind if he, Tatar, and Nyquist have their flubs. It's worth it to imagine and if anything push the envelope of possibility.

Very surprised Abbie can't get anything going. He was on a top line for the entire shortened season last year, you'd think he would lead more and deliver playing on a 3rd or 4th line. Not to say he's playing poorly, but he's one guy who should be potting some goals here through 20 some games.

Cleary gave me a huge LOL. He comes in along the boards in the offensive zone for a dump in...leans to flex into a snap shot...and then crumples into a heap, losing the puck and creating a chance the other way!:laugh: Dude he does something like this every game but this one was so comical.

I'd say Weiss is extremely skilled. The little plays he makes, batting the puck out of the air, etc. I know he'll be rewarded on the score sheet this season for being such a gifted hockey player.

I won't die if we're only a middle of the pack organization. This league is too even, too talented and disciplined to demand the Wings to be contenders. I do insist we keep working hard and put together the best lineup possible. I enjoy our team this season. Helm is back, Nyquist and Tatar are both up. Gustavsson has even been better than expected. Things are falling into place (literally if you consider Daniel's tripping over the blue line :laugh:). With excellent coaching and (as mentioned several times in the broadcast) trusting in the DRW system, you never know how far we can get.

Bastages

Nov 24, 2013
Looks like we played in slow-mo.

Course, we were beaten up pretty badly by Senators yesterday.

Detroit Sports*

I think the majority of the board will hate Howard's contract very soon. 6 years was absolutely ridiculous...

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Hey does anybody think Helm could become a Pavelski type player? He's been puttin the puck in the net lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad