Post-Game Talk: I did, however, start Henrik Lundqvist (afternoon games suck)

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
How did I know I would come in here and see people blaming howard? WE DIDNT SCORE ANY GOALS. They could have scored one, they could have scored a hundred. We scored zero.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Is he supposed to be better than Franzen, Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Kronwall, Legwand, Sheahan, Smith, and Alfredsson?

No. It wouldn't hurt though. These days we are relying on Franzen/Nyquist. If they don't score 3 goals, we lose. So why not bring up Pulkkinen for an added offensive boost? Also, get Glen off of Alfie's line. We need Alfie to contribute, makes no sense putting him with a guy who literally brings no offence whatsoever to the table.

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen
Pulkkinen-Andersson-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glen-Abdelkader

DatsyukianDeke*

Howard sucks, and this team looked terrible today. Onto the next.

That is all.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Nice of Edzo to still spend several minutes ranting about the Red Wings and their "subtle interference" that nobody else in the league has ever committed. His own team, of course, didn't even think about trying it when engaged in a tight seven game series last spring. Nuh uh. Not once.

Holy ****, could this guy possibly be any less professional? Our team is barely even relevant anymore (and his team is elite) and he still can't help cheerleading against Detroit. Really glad NBC gives him a platform to do every important game every year!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I get that someone could mention that X team is known to commit ________, and have it go uncalled for them.

But to spend several minutes elaborating on that, referring back to it, etc.

And then on top of that, spend the majority of the game saying "that should've been a penalty" for the same team after every shift.

I muted the TV for the 3rd period.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
"Penalty for Deception" sounds like the title of a really bad spy movie.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Been saying this. He is not worth his contract. Average goalie.

When did you say this? I haven't noticed.

Anyway no surprise the offense will look flat at times without the two best playmakers on the team. Z and D create so much space for others, now they have to find it in their own against top defenses.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Nice of Edzo to still spend several minutes ranting about the Red Wings and their "subtle interference" that nobody else in the league has ever committed. His own team, of course, didn't even think about trying it when engaged in a tight seven game series last spring. Nuh uh. Not once.

Holy ****, could this guy possibly be any less professional? Our team is barely even relevant anymore (and his team is elite) and he still can't help cheerleading against Detroit. Really glad NBC gives him a platform to do every important game every year!

or at least have him up and someone others for frsh bodies when we play 3 games in 4 nights.
Yes please get this guy to stop whining. Wow HOMER.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
LOL the comments about Edzo and Pierre. When the the Red Wings are victorious the entire NBC crew GUSHES over any player who is having a good game. Bert, Abbie, Nyquist, Datsyuk, whoever. They are not biased. I've seen them all switch their focus on a given team period by period depending on who is playing noteworthy. If anything there is respect for Detroit and much up and down emotion from Roenick and Mcguire, an expectation. Olczyk we know is trying to return to coaching or management...I appreciate his insight into the game. This discussion should be about Coach Vigneault's comments, that the Wings were "artists of legal interference" :laugh:, which is actually true. I'm just glad Doc didn't call this one. He must be sick because that guy wouldn't miss this game for anything.

What's sad is as I usually say, the Red Wings did try! The Rangers shut down every single attempt. The NY Rangers are not the Devils! I look at their team and have respect- Richards, Nash, Hagelin, Brassard, Kreider Stepan, Zucarello, and now St. Louis, their 3rd/4th liners played well this game also (Carcillo Boyle, Moore Pouliot, etc). When they can talk about unloading a former defensive all-star like Stall...they've got 1st world problems. For how bad they have suffocated our team this year I view them as a solid threat in the East.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
BiTzi_bCMAA6eko.jpg

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
4th game in 6 days, Rangers are healthy and one of the best possession teams in the league. They have one of the best Dmen in the league. Arguably the best Goaltender in the league. Factor in that it was a road game, not much to expect out of a broken and depleted Red Wings lineup.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
All I've got to say is LOL at the idea that a goalie's puckhandling skills or lack thereof could account for a 1.5 goals-per-game difference. Unless we're talking a goalie like Marty Turco or Mike Smith, no goalie's puckhandling abilities are going to make much of a difference at all, let alone aid in any substantive measure in the generation of offense.

The insistence on the part of several here is nothing more than the desire of humans to find a reason for an unexplainable phenomenon, a process as a part of which they are willing to warp the facts. It is, in effect, a case of the tail wagging the dog. A further instance of this can be found in the clear desire of several here to place entirely the blame for the loss upon Howard, going so far as to perform ridiculous analyses on the first two goals that were scored upon him. Somebody here espoused a similarly ludicrous conclusion about Legwand after his first game with the team.

On a related note, here's a further laugh at the twin absurd claims that Howard is atrocious at handling the puck and that Gustavsson is any significant degree better. They are both fairly average, which is to say that they each hardly affect the play at all when they depart the net.

You act as though that hasn't been precisely how the Wings have been playing this year. Win a game or two...lose a game or two...score 7 goals....get shut out...Repeat.

And you act as if a cycle of jubilation and outright panic is somehow appropriate for people who call themselves fans.

Anyone remember a few years ago when we were pitching a streak of 200 or 300 games without being shut out? We've been shut out 9 times this season alone. :laugh:

Welcome to a season of average quality. Perhaps someday you'll realize that you were lucky to be a fan of so many great Red Wings fans, rather than simply taking it for granted as you currently do.

Been saying this. He is not worth his contract. Average goalie.

Really? You said that? Where?

Your tirades on the matter are always hilarious in light of the fact that during three of his four complete seasons with the organization, he has indisputably been the team's MVP. And in the remaining one, in which he played averagely well, the team was able to score more than enough goals to compensate. This season hasn't been great, yes, but errr hey, why am I even bothering? If a puck were to deflect off of a ref and three players and then go in, you'd still call it Howard's fault.

Howard sucks, and this team looked terrible today. Onto the next.

That is all.

Ah, yes, that one bad goal he let in (after numerous great saves) really ended the day. It might have made a difference had the team lost by one goal, but in the event they'd already hung him out to dry numerous times, been scored on twice as a result, and didn't manage even to put a single goal on the board. A single bad goal doesn't sink a good team, but a total lack of offense will. Needless to say, an awful performance in the defensive zone doesn't help either.

That said, it should hardly be surprising that without the team's two best players and its fastest player, the guys are having a tough time moving the puck properly. I suspect it's simpler for people to look at the team and simply declare it awful rather than accepting the present circumstances and understanding that with so many key players out, the team's baseline level of ability is much lower than it would be otherwise. Games will be more difficult to win.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 22m
#RedWings are practicing at JLA, sans Kronwall, Ericsson, Alfredsson, Andersson, Gustavsson (groin), Weiss (groin), and Helm (concussion).

Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman 15m
Correction Legwand is practicing. It's Andersson that's not practicing along with Alfredsson at forward.

Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman 25m
Kronwall and Ericsson not at practice. Assume given day off due to number of games in a row. Same with Alfredsson and Legwand.

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 24m
Aldredsson and Legwand also missing at #RedWings practice. Much-needed rest most likely

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

In plain english for those who don't understand-

There's a huge, 15% difference between players playing in the top 6 and bottom 6 in Goals For %, which is the percentage Wings goals scored between all goals scored by the Wings and their opponents. There's a very negligible difference, however, in Corsi for %, the percentage of Wings Corsi events (Shots on goal, Missed Shots, Shots taken that were blocked) generated of the total sum of Corsi events generated between the Wings and their opponents.

Essentially, the forwards are getting the job done in possession, but the goals are only falling for the forwards in the top six.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Essentially, the forwards are getting the job done in possession, but the goals are only falling for the forwards in the top six.

That's unsurprising, given the number of injuries. With Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and a healthy Weiss in the lineup, the bottom six would be replete with quite a few more good scorers. As things stand, Abdelkader and Alfredsson are emasculated for lack of a good center---the same was true even with Helm in the lineup, sadly; his second injury of the season really derailed him---and so the Kid Line is more or less the 2nd line.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
All I've got to say is LOL at the idea that a goalie's puckhandling skills or lack thereof could account for a 1.5 goals-per-game difference. Unless we're talking a goalie like Marty Turco or Mike Smith, no goalie's puckhandling abilities are going to make much of a difference at all, let alone aid in any substantive measure in the generation of offense.

The insistence on the part of several here is nothing more than the desire of humans to find a reason for an unexplainable phenomenon, a process as a part of which they are willing to warp the facts. It is, in effect, a case of the tail wagging the dog. A further instance of this can be found in the clear desire of several here to place entirely the blame for the loss upon Howard, going so far as to perform ridiculous analyses on the first two goals that were scored upon him. Somebody here espoused a similarly ludicrous conclusion about Legwand after his first game with the team.

On a related note, here's a further laugh at the twin absurd claims that Howard is atrocious at handling the puck and that Gustavsson is any significant degree better. They are both fairly average, which is to say that they each hardly affect the play at all when they depart the net.

I don't believe anyone here really thinks Gustavsson is responsible for over 1 goal for per game. Speaking for myself, I have made the claim that if Gustavsson were in we would have scored 4 goals- but it was always completely tongue-in-cheek. And I imagine it's the same with other posters. It's just a very bizarre and kind of hilarious phenomenon that I'm sure comes down to not much more than dumb luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad