Post-Game Talk: I can't believe we ****ing lost to Buffalo

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I think Pulks has looked OK. He hasn't registered any points but he is competing and that is a good sign. That goal the other night that Tatar scored batting the puck out of mid air was a pass to Pulks that would of given him a pretty open net to shoot at. You could tell he was excited we scored but said damn you Tatar for being so good.

I do like watching him and I think it's just a matter of time. I love how his stick is cocked and ready the moment he enters the offensive zone. He will learn with a little time that he needs to get that shot off quicker. I think it's just a matter of timing and he will figure it out.

Actual Thought*

Needs to work on that shot selection. I understand he's trying to stick at this level, but he's trying to beat NHL goalies nowadays like Yzerman did against Jon Casey. Other than that, I like his hustle and positioning.

All I have seen is slow response and giant wind ups. He has a long way to go to catch up to the speed of the NHL. Franzen please!

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Pulkkinen looks like the person who tries way too hard to be friends with people, right now

He's literally just shooting every time he gets the puck. He's at a 12 and needs to come down to about a 5. He is hustling every shift though

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Nice to see the comeback!

Also Pulu needs to start making some impressions/impact soon or he might be a tradebait, if the wings indeed does something at the deadline... Järnkrok, albeit he didn't even get a game in the NHL - the wings clearly thought he wouldnt ever crack the wings lineup on a regular basis... same thing could happen to Pulu

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Don't forget the 2nd time in 3 games where he has taken a ****ing penalty in the o-zone on a mother****ing PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 million a year for him ****ing makes Legwand look passable :shakehead.

What do you want? One official thought the slash was weak and did a make up call. Weiss was fighting for the puck.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Pulkkinen looks like the person who tries way too hard to be friends with people, right now

He's literally just shooting every time he gets the puck. He's at a 12 and needs to come down to about a 5. He is hustling every shift though

He goes through phases in the game. Parts of last game he was making good smart plays to the point instead of trying to force a shot. Then later he starts trying to take as many shots as he could.

Personally I think he's just feeling some pressure. He knows his situation. He's gone as soon as Jurco/Franzen get healthy. He's running out of options. He knows the roster is stacked even next season and if Mantha ever finds his stride he's going to get passed by him as well. This *exact* same thing happened with Tatar and Nyquist. When their positions were more tenuous they were really trying way too hard to force stuff and it made them look nervous and it severely affected their play with the puck. Now they both look fantastic. They know they have a spot, they know they're counted on, and they don't disappoint.

Sometimes it's good to have to fight for a spot. Sometimes it's good to know you have the coach's trust. Pulks is a smaller winger on a team full of smaller skilled wingers. But he looks too good out there to write him off just yet. He's had a couple of near misses, makes decent decisions with the pucks, isn't turning it over like mad, and he's pretty damn fast.

Actual Thought*

He goes through phases in the game. Parts of last game he was making good smart plays to the point instead of trying to force a shot. Then later he starts trying to take as many shots as he could.

Personally I think he's just feeling some pressure. He knows his situation. He's gone as soon as Jurco/Franzen get healthy. He's running out of options. He knows the roster is stacked even next season and if Mantha ever finds his stride he's going to get passed by him as well. This *exact* same thing happened with Tatar and Nyquist. When their positions were more tenuous they were really trying way too hard to force stuff and it made them look nervous and it severely affected their play with the puck. Now they both look fantastic. They know they have a spot, they know they're counted on, and they don't disappoint.

Sometimes it's good to have to fight for a spot. Sometimes it's good to know you have the coach's trust. Pulks is a smaller winger on a team full of smaller skilled wingers. But he looks too good out there to write him off just yet. He's had a couple of near misses, makes decent decisions with the pucks, isn't turning it over like mad, and he's pretty damn fast.

I can think of two odd man rushes that were a direct result of his turnovers. He reacts way too slow for the show thus far. I don't remember Tats or Gus winding up on every shot opportunity only to have the puck stolen and taken to our net. I think he needs to learn that NHL players aren't going to wait for him to get set.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
I can think of two odd man rushes that were a direct result of his turnovers. He reacts way too slow for the show thus far. I don't remember Tats or Gus winding up on every shot opportunity only to have the puck stolen and taken to our net. I think he needs to learn that NHL players aren't going to wait for him to get set.

They may not have shot as much, but they both had to make adjustments. Tatar turned the puck over a ton last year and both he and Gus were pretty blah in their first 20, or so games.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not worried about Pulks...he's still trying to adapt his game to the NHL level. I think the goals will come eventually, he's a smart kid and he works really hard at being a professional. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it in the NHL....that said, some expectations should be tempered. I think a 20-20 player with the potential for a little more is reasonable for him.

Brandel*

SkJaq4N.png

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is it just me or do Nyquist and Tatar only play like legit stars when we have forwards out?

Just you. Both on pace for 30+ goals and pav and z have been in the lineup for awhile.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana

Didn't mean to sound like I was writing him off or think he's not serviceable. You can just tell he's forcing everything and you put it perfectly in your response that he's fighting for a spot and trying to make something happen to stay once Franzen and Jurco get healthy

IMO it just looks like he needs some more time in Grand Rapids

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Didn't mean to sound like I was writing him off or think he's not serviceable. You can just tell he's forcing everything and you put it perfectly in your response that he's fighting for a spot and trying to make something happen to stay once Franzen and Jurco get healthy

IMO it just looks like he needs some more time in Grand Rapids

I don't understand that at all. He is already DOMINATING the AHL. Its not going to help to keep him there to keep dominating. The way you get better at anything is to be humbled and work on your game or hobby or whatever. He will either catch up to the speed of the NHL and realize he cannot slap it every single time or he will bust and end up elsewhere. The AHL is a waste for him at this point.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just you. Both on pace for 30+ goals and pav and z have been in the lineup for awhile.

I said forwards, not D and Z though. Since Abdelkader, Jurco, and Franzen got injured it seems like their play has been noticeably better.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I said forwards, not D and Z though. Since Abdelkader, Jurco, and Franzen got injured it seems like their play has been noticeably better.

I think you're really reaching. If 13 and 40 are playing then the other injuries are - with all due respect - secondary.

Actual Thought*

Maybe. Just seems like their hot streaks kind've started when we had some players go down.

If they get more minutes they produce more. That is pretty much the same with any forward.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Had the game on the background, thought they recovered nicely but against any other team, including the Oilers, they would have lost. Glad to see they got the win at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad