Post-Game Talk: I can't believe we ****ing lost to Buffalo

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Worst 1st period ever. But dear god Buffalo is a bad team. Wings barely had to put any pressure on them for them to completely fold. Points are points though and boy am I glad we weren't the ones to break their losing streak.

Pulkkinen. I don't know. I still don't know if I see it at the NHL level.
I'm one of those who doubted he could do what he's been doing in the AHL (and in Finland) in the NHL and so far he's not doing much to prove me wrong. Winding up for big slapshots just isn't a move that works very often in the NHL, and other than that he seems to have a limited amount of tricks up his sleeve.

That said he's not exactly playing bad, and he deserves more time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That said he's not exactly playing bad, and he deserves more time.

He's playing better than Weiss imo. This is the second or third game Weiss has had in the top9. It's also the same number of games in which he's tended to lose puck battles, turn over the puck, and generally lack any playmaking or offensive chances. I've seen Pulks, or Pookie rather, create more chances than Weiss the past few games.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
If I had a dollar.....

Did you watch that 1st period? It was legitimately the worst hockey they played all season. Every fan had the right to be pissed off at the effort they were putting in

But hey anyone can cherry pick a comment from a GDT, don't let me stop you

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Whole team looked like garbage first period. The turnovers leading to soft goals. Just badness all around.

But that's just SOP for this team this year. How many times they give up the first goal and win anyway? How many times have they had a disgusting first period effort? Far too many times. I mean, I guess I'm glad they're mentally strong enough and skilled enough to get comeback wins, but I'd really just rather they start on time..

No kidding. That, and the fact that we were playing against Buffalo after all, was the only reason I didn't just shut it off after we went down 3-0 while looking like it takes Datsyukian levels of skill just to complete a simple D-to-D pass. There's not too many teams in the league where you can dig yourself out of that kind of hole against anymore and we're just lucky that Buffalo is one of them.

The only positive thing you can take from this game, if you can call it that, is that at least we weren't San José kinds of bad. In a 6-4 score against Buffalo they'd have been on the losing side. :laugh:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
He's playing better than Weiss imo. This is the second or third game Weiss has had in the top9. It's also the same number of games in which he's tended to lose puck battles, turn over the puck, and generally lack any playmaking or offensive chances. I've seen Pulks, or Pookie rather, create more chances than Weiss the past few games.

Don't forget the 2nd time in 3 games where he has taken a ****ing penalty in the o-zone on a mother****ing PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 million a year for him ****ing makes Legwand look passable :shakehead.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Don't forget the 2nd time in 3 games where he has taken a ****ing penalty in the o-zone on a mother****ing PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 million a year for him ****ing makes Legwand look passable :shakehead.

I mean, that was a weak ****ing call on Weiss today. Just a garbage call. I'm not going to fault him for that.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
With the win McCollum becomes the 4th different Wings goalie to record a win this season which got me wondering, whats the record for most different goalies to record a win in a season for one team?

Does anybody happen to know?

Also thanks Hank for my Curly Fries with lunch tomorrow!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
A penalty in the o-zone..... on a.....( Keating like pause)PP!

Yeah but it shouldn't have BEEN a penalty. That doesn't get called in 99.99999999999999% of games because it's not a penalty. You can't put any blame on Weiss for that. It'd be like blaming Glendening for the called back Miller goal due to "goalie interference." Glendening did nothing wrong. Refs made a bad call. Same thing here. Weiss did nothing wrong, refs made a bad call. Can't blame Weiss for that.

You destroy your own credibility if you start blaming people for things they didn't do wrong.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
No kidding. That, and the fact that we were playing against Buffalo after all, was the only reason I didn't just shut it off after we went down 3-0 while looking like it takes Datsyukian levels of skill just to complete a simple D-to-D pass. There's not too many teams in the league where you can dig yourself out of that kind of hole against anymore and we're just lucky that Buffalo is one of them.

The only positive thing you can take from this game, if you can call it that, is that at least we weren't San José kinds of bad. In a 6-4 score against Buffalo they'd have been on the losing side. :laugh:

I don't know, with this Red Wings team i'm not sure there is a hole we can't climb out of. This season there is a fight in this team we haven't really had recently, where the game isn't over until its actually over. Tonights game, the game against New York in November, even the Pittsburgh game in October, we end up finding ways to comeback and win it.

It would be nice to start on time more often though lol

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I don't know, with this Red Wings team i'm not sure there is a hole we can't climb out of. This season there is a fight in this team we haven't really had recently, where the game isn't over until its actually over. Tonights game, the game against New York in November, even the Pittsburgh game in October, we end up finding ways to comeback and win it.

It would be nice to start on time more often though lol

I think the Wings have the most come from behind wins in the league. Maybe the Pens have a couple more. I haven't checked in awhile.

But that seems that's all they do nowadays. And...although it's not exactly recommended, they are challenging the top spot in the east. THey are doing something right.

If they start scoring first, this team is going to be near unstoppable IMO. They are just clicking right now:

Tied for 1st PP
5th PK (Keep jumping between 3-5)
Top 8 team defensively
Top 9 offensively
Top 5 in puck possession

Mind you, this was with a slow, SLOOOOOW offensive first month to the season. A bad PP as well (was one of the worst, actually). They might end up in the top 7 range offensively by the end of the season. Defense? Top 8 (and will probably stay around there)? That's pretty killer considering the defenders Babcock and Co. are work with.

Goaltending wasn't going to be an issue. But now that Howard is injured, there's the question that will he lose that grove/momentum? I hope that doesn't happen. This team is primed for a run. If not this season, it will be the next. I can feel it.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I honestly forgot about the game lol. Thank goodness I had it recorded, though.

Great comeback, man. Z, Tats, Miller.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
But hey anyone can cherry pick a comment from a GDT, don't let me stop you

Oh there is usually plenty to choose from. Last two years it was always games over, seasons over, this joke team will never make the playoffs....and they do. Several times this year... it's game over, team sucks, and they come back....

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He's not making defensive mistakes at least.

He made one on the first goal tonight, it was just overshadowed by all the bigger defensive mistakes his linemates were making.

I don't think he's been bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think there's any possibility of him staying with the Wings once we start getting bodies back.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Pulks has largely been fine, I'm seeing a lot of growing pains. May need to spend a little more time in Grand Rapids. I imagine the game against Minnesota will be huge for him because after the All Star break, basically everyone will be healthy I bet.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah really how much worse can it get for them now? 11 in a row now. And they're still only tied with Edmonton. Lol

I wouldn't recommend you or anyone else going into the Sabres GDT, depressing place over there.

I will say this, I love Brian Flynn, would love him on our 4th line if we had the space.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
I think that pulkkinen is playing pretty well. Making good passes, creating good chances etc. Some rookie misstakes too. Am i only one seeing that? Was he on ice 2 or 3 times when detroit scored?

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
With the win McCollum becomes the 4th different Wings goalie to record a win this season which got me wondering, whats the record for most different goalies to record a win in a season for one team?

Does anybody happen to know?

Also thanks Hank for my Curly Fries with lunch tomorrow!
most i can think of is STL a few years ago.

in '03, they had 7 different goalies with a win: brent johnson, fred braithwaite, curtis sanford, chris osgood, reinhard divis, cody rudkowsky, tom barrasso.

i don't remember barrasso ever playing for STL.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think that pulkkinen is playing pretty well. Making good passes, creating good chances etc. Some rookie misstakes too. Am i only one seeing that? Was he on ice 2 or 3 times when detroit scored?

No he's been fine, but he's not adapted to the pace and some NHL details yet. Think he was on the ice on some PP goals.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
No he's been fine, but he's not adapted to the pace and some NHL details yet. Think he was on the ice on some PP goals.

Well yea, agreed on that. But personally that can be learned only with playing in the NHL. Hopefully he finds out that soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad