Hypothetically, if we make the playoffs, who would you rather play?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I think Boston and Pittsburgh care more about who they'd have to play at this point. The Wings seem to be getting better (and healthier)...a nightmare matchup for most teams.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Didn't we beat pittsburgh a couple days ago? That would mean we are 1-1-1 correct?

We are 1-1 or 0-1-1. We have played them twice at home, lost 1-4 and OT win 5-4. We won 5-4, but 3 goals were scored by the Pens on their own. I am not sure they will keep on doing this.
Now we have one game left vs them in their rink.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Against Pittsburgh our chances are 50/50.
Against Boston there's zero chance we win a best of 7.

Boston can shut Nyquist down, Pittsburgh can't.

50/50 is highly optomistic, but at least Pen have the injury problems.

All in all, I dislike the Pens more, so if I had to pick an extra team to succeed in the playoffs I want it to be the Bruins. I'll take the Pens simply because even if the Wings can't beat them, they can give them a rough series.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
50/50 is highly optomistic, but at least Pen have the injury problems.

All in all, I dislike the Pens more, so if I had to pick an extra team to succeed in the playoffs I want it to be the Bruins. I'll take the Pens simply because even if the Wings can't beat them, they can give them a rough series.

With Fleury in net, who knows. The Islanders gave the Penguins fits last playoffs until Fleury was replaced with Vokoun. I like our chances, our depth is much better than theirs.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Pittsburgh by a country mile, they are falling apart and not build for the playoffs. I believe the Chicago series last year proved that this team can hang with any team in the league, but a hot goalie scares me in the playoffs. Fleury is not a good goalie and the Pens defense won't help him, Rask on the other hand is going to make you fight for every single game, the Bruins are also a much more balanced team and while the Wings match up well with anyone on 1st line vs. 1st line thanks for Datsyuk (he is a one man army), we are outclassed on 2nd line vs 2nd line and 3rd line vs 3rd line against the Bruins, but much less so against the Pens.

XxTatar21SaucexX

MotownShowdown
Sep 3, 2012
Pittsburgh for sure. Though the argument about making a run and having to face Boston eventually is a convincing one too.

The counter argument is that we'd be better off facing Boston with Z in the line up.

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
This is an easy question for me.

Pittsburgh.

1. There one of the few teams I'd LOVE to send home in first round

2. Their D/Goalie is what knocks them out each year.

3. Crosby crying

4. Malkin being a ***** and acting like a tough guy LOL

5. Boston is a lot better than them.

We play an aggressive game against their D forcing them to make mistakes which will definitely come. We will win. Their offense can score with anyone and can win them a series. Definitely a better matchup than Boston though.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This is an easy question for me.

Pittsburgh.

1. There one of the few teams I'd LOVE to send home in first round

2. Their D/Goalie is what knocks them out each year.

3. Crosby crying

4. Malkin being a ***** and acting like a tough guy LOL

5. Boston is a lot better than them.

We play an aggressive game against their D forcing them to make mistakes which will definitely come. We will win. Their offense can score with anyone and can win them a series. Definitely a better matchup than Boston though.

I am not so sure our goalie outduels theirs.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Don't get me started on the playoff format. It's so dumb.

Old format was fine.

8 best teams 1 vs. 8 and so on.

Except that's not actually what it was. Several recent years the 1, 4, 5 seeds were actually 1, 2, 3 in the conference due to 1-3 being reserved for divisional champs.

Two years ago the atlantic division teams finished 1,2,3 in the east and 4th NHL overall and 6th overall seeds Pitsburgh and Philly faced eachother in the first round - as '4th' and '5th' conference seeds (Rangers were first in the division/conference/2nd in league.

In the west St. Louis, Nashville and Detroit finished 2, 3, 4 in the conference behind Vancouver but were seeded 2, 4, 5, and 5th overall seeded Nashville played 8th overall Detroit.

To put that in perspective 3rd and 6th seed NJD and Florida were 9th and 14th overall seeds respectively. Chicago and Phoenix were 10th and 11th, Boston and Washington were 7th and 15th. You had certain series where both teams were seeded lower then teams in another series, and you have weak teams moving on to the second round. You know something's off when you have Phoenix and Nashville playing in the second round.

Last year, the 4/5 match up in the West (St.Louis vs. Los Angeles), contained the 6th and 7th ranked seeds in the entire league. Where as the 3/6 matches were Vancluver (8) vs San Jose (11) and Washington (9) vs New York (12)

I didn't even mention the times the 3rd seed Carolina/Washington from that division was actually the 8th seed in points and had won less games than the 6th seed opponent. In that system finishing in 6th was better then 4th or 5th, which was a hard match-up.

We can point out flaws in this system, but it looks to be improved over the last one. With the current system the only difference we're looking at is 3-4 Montreal/Tampa, 5-6 Philly NYR instead of 3-6, 4-5. And 3-5 Colorado/Chicago, 4-6 San Jose/Los Angeles. Seems like an OK compromise to reduce travel.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So we Are 3-1 vs Bruins and 1-2 (0-1-2) vs Pens.

The Bruins might be the better team than the Pens, but I think we match up better vs Bruins.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
So we Are 3-1 vs Bruins and 1-2 (0-1-2) vs Pens.

The Bruins might be the better team than the Pens, but I think we match up better vs Bruins.

We play harder and better against the bruins because the bruins are just a plain better team than the penguins. The wings always play better against better teams, I feel like we could have a shot.

And it would feel pretty good eliminating them in the first round even if we didn't go all the way, or at least shaking them up. I just don't want the bruins to win the cup.

crashman

We play harder and better against the bruins because the bruins are just a plain better team than the penguins. The wings always play better against better teams, I feel like we could have a shot.

And it would feel pretty good eliminating them in the first round even if we didn't go all the way, or at least shaking them up. I just don't want the bruins to win the cup.

I'm not too worried about that. I honestly don't see any Eastern Conference team beating whoever comes out of the West.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Both teams offer their own set of problems. Boston is bigger and stronger, has the better goalie and probably the better coach in Julien. The Bruins play "playoff hockey" as well as any team. The Penguins are very skilled and can relate to the Wings' issue of playing through injuries. Fleury is a flake in the playoffs but did beat the Wings in a Cup Finals Game 7 at the Joe. Their special teams are superb...I'd hate to deal with that power play for a full series.

Gun to my head...I'd say Pittsburgh will be the less taxing series in that they won't grind you to down and take away space like the Bruins. Plus, Fleury is more beatable in recent playoffs than Rask. It'll still be a tough series because of their skill and their special teams. Malkin has to be coming back at some point...I don't think we'll see Hank in this series so that's a major disadvantage.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Vs Boston, refs swallow their whistles. The Wings lose in 5, score a total of 7 goals against a clutch and grab and big hit Boston. Don't expect the Bruins to play the wide open style they did most of the season, every year it's the same, they play very tight obstruction hockey in the playoffs.

Vs Pittsburgh refs call anything and everything. It becomes a shooting gallery the Wings lose in 6, because they can't keep up offensively. I know people are dazzled by the Glendening shutting down Crosby for a game, but, watch him set a record for most penalty minutes without a fighting major in a playoff round if we play them.

Either way the Wings don't stack up well against either team. The best road for the Wings involve flower going Three Mile Island.

lilja4mvp*

Vs Boston, refs swallow their whistles. The Wings lose in 5, score a total of 7 goals against a clutch and grab and big hit Boston. Don't expect the Bruins to play the wide open style they did most of the season, every year it's the same, they play very tight obstruction hockey in the playoffs.

Vs Pittsburgh refs call anything and everything. It becomes a shooting gallery the Wings lose in 6, because they can't keep up offensively. I know people are dazzled by the Glendening shutting down Crosby for a game, but, watch him set a record for most penalty minutes without a fighting major in a playoff round if we play them.

Either way the Wings don't stack up well against either team. The best road for the Wings involve flower going Three Mile Island.
dropping some truth bombs here. wings will lose to either team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Even with a healthy Datsyuk this team will have a lot of issues vs either team. This team needs a healthy(ish) Zetterberg to compete, he's the heart and soul of the team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm not too worried about that. I honestly don't see any Eastern Conference team beating whoever comes out of the West.

depending how the format will be, i'd have boston pretty high on winning the cup... whoever gets out of west is going to be damn beat up, unless they are lucky. hawks managed to avoid that last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad