Hypothetically, if we make the playoffs, who would you rather play?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Boston is a big team with plenty of guys with sandpaper that wear you down physically.

Combine that with their defensive core and goaltending, and I think they could smother us. That would be the worst match up possible for is IMO.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
It really just depends. Detroit has actually played pretty well against Boston this season, but Pittsburgh is obviously not as good.

If Detroit was able to frustrate the Penguins, they could easily win the series because the Penguins love to implode come playoff time. If Detroit isn't able to get under Pittsburgh's skin, then I'd rather play Boston

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Both these teams are easily better on paper.

But I'll pick Pittsburgh pretty easily. I think they are mentally weak, and can get rattled easily.

Plus I want nothing to do with Rask. And we could get Fleury in that stinky first-round form.

These are the major things. Goaltending.

Fleury could be destroyed mentally again, but series against Rask would pretty much be like last Pekka Rinne -series. Just no chance.

Tuukka is too good, we need one extra year to become a better team to challenge healthy Boston.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
These are the major things. Goaltending.

Fleury could be destroyed mentally again, but series against Rask would pretty much be like last Pekka Rinne -series. Just no chance.

Tuukka is too good, we need one extra year to become a better team to challenge healthy Boston.

Agree, I think it would pretty similar to that Nashville series a few years ago.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Pittsburgh isn't built for the playoffs, they may beat the Wings if we play them, but they're fodder for Philly or Boston.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
For sure Pens but their PP is ****ing scary....and the refs love to help out Crosby....

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It really just depends. Detroit has actually played pretty well against Boston this season, but Pittsburgh is obviously not as good.

If Detroit was able to frustrate the Penguins, they could easily win the series because the Penguins love to implode come playoff time. If Detroit isn't able to get under Pittsburgh's skin, then I'd rather play Boston

Z's so good at pissing opponent's stars off. Hurry back, Z.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
There is a long way to go before they make the playoffs. I do not want to talk about this stuff IF they clinch.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
In terms of our chances, I don't care who we play. We can beat any team... And more importantly, if we're going to win the cup we HAVE TO be able to beat any team. Bring on the best team in the league and let's make it a series.

In terms of entertainment I choose Pittsburgh because I live near there and wouldn't mind watching games with some pitt fans (wearing my datsyuk jersey of course). Should be fun.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
though i think a series against the bruins would be closer than most people think

Not in our current state. I guess we may get a sneak peek on Wednesday.

I think we could match them if we were closer to being healthy. Without Pavel or Hank, they would crush us in a series.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Boston would beat the living hell out of the Wings physically and the Pens are prone to ultra sloppy defensive play.

Not much of a decision IMO.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I went with Pittsburgh for a few reasons:

1. Blysma is on the hot seat.
2. They would likely feel the pressure if we stole an early one on their home ice.
3. Fleury is way over-rated.
4. Their playoff record hasn't been all that impressive lately.

Not saying we'd truck them or anything, just that I think they'd be a good matchup for us and we'd have absolutely nothing to lose and all the pressure would be on them.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Pittsburgh I because would love to have the satisfaction of knocking them out of the 1st round. Payback for 2009 SCF.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
PittsburghPenguins2013-2014rolling10-game5v5closeFF_zpsc8ae78d2.png

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
In the future if you're going to post potentially interesting graphs could you do everyone a favor and define terms/abbreviations?

ah, sorry.

that's their fenwick close graph. meaning all unblocked shot attempts, when the score is within one goal in 1st or 2nd period or tied in the 3rd. pretty good predictor of winning. almost all recent cup champs have had very good ratings there.

this means that pens basically live and die on their pp and pk. can't remember team recently winning the cup on pp as refs swallow their whistles post-season. their pk sv% (5on4) is 91%... some teams don't have as good 5on5. i wouldn't bet on that to continue. and it won't be enough if they can't solve the issues 5on5.

now malkin and crosby could overcome those numbers.. elite players, who can score influence sh% and score on less shots.

but still, that bottom 6 is bad, and with those numbers one would need elite level goaltending.

lot of question-marks. much more than the bruins have.

now, i think pens would be the favorites to win the red wings. but i'd easily take them over bruins and don't see them winning the cup.

calgary has had better possession numbers than pens since january.

crashman

Pittsburgh, without question. I was at game 7 of the SCF in 2009, and while beating them in the 1st round wouldn't quite be revenge, it would be a nice start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad