Speculation: Hurricanes wanting to get "tough" this offseason?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Seems like 1C sort of needs to be addressed too no? Or did the Aho experiment work?

How are Canes fans feeling about the situation with this owner? This seems very Jerry Jones-esque to me and I don't really think that's a good thing

Aho played well down the stretch in the middle. Same went for Lindholm. Necas will likely arrive next season. Staal and Rask are under contract long-term. Center isn't as much of a need as it was a few months ago.

I think a physical, skilled LW may actually be a better fit than a non-elite center (i.e. T. Johnson) in the context of the lineup. Kane would be interesting in FA or maybe Kreider via trade, if he becomes available.

Reactions: cptjeff

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Edmonton made a whole bunch of moves to focus on toughness or at least size (Larsson, Russell, Lucic, Reinhart, Strome, etc). How'd that turn out?

Carolina needs a goalie and probably an upgrade at C, neither of which have to do with toughness.

It doesn't mean they have to throw away all their skilled guys, but getting more players who will crowd the net and go to the dirty areas is not a bad idea. There's still a place for grit in every lineup

Aho played well down the stretch in the middle. Same went for Lindholm. Necas will likely arrive next season. Staal and Rask are under contract long-term. Center isn't as much of a need as it was a few months ago.

I think a physical, skilled LW may actually be a better fit than a non-elite center (i.e. T. Johnson) in the context of the lineup. Kane would be interesting in FA or maybe Kreider via trade, if he becomes available.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are near the top of JVR's list either, he's not exactly physical but he's at least good around the net. Also, not sure how Gauthier has played this year in the AHL but that could help add some size and skill to the wing

Last edited by a moderator:

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
I don't think they necessarily mean goons or cheap shot artist, but guys that will throw body checks and stick up for themselves and their team mates. Guys that won't let another team intimidate or push them around. Word gets around the league fast if your a guy that can be intimidated.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
If true, it's a stupid mantra to have in today's NHL. You can be tough as a team without having to go out and get "tough guys."

I don't think they necessarily mean goons or cheap shot artist, but guys that will throw body checks and stick up for themselves and their team mates. Guys that won't let another team intimidate or push them around. Word gets around the league fast if your a guy that can be intimidated.

That's a team issue, not a lack-of-tough-guy issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think people vastly overestimate the number of players who get through to the highest level of hockey who are "intimidated" by a check.

Reactions: LakeLivin

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If true, it's a stupid mantra to have in today's NHL. You can be tough as a team without having to go out and get "tough guys."

If he meant that then he would have said "Our guys need to get tougher" instead of... oh wait that is what he said.

No, the Canes don't want Milan Lucic or Matt Martin. Please go away. The type of "toughness" that Dundon is talking about is better characterized by a guy like Zuccarello.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
If he meant that then he would have said "Our guys need to get tougher" instead of... oh wait that is what he said.

No, the Canes don't want Milan Lucic or Matt Martin. Please go away. The type of "toughness" that Dundon is talking about is better characterized by a guy like Zuccarello.
If you guys get Zucc you’re easily the softest team in the league.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
If you guys get Zucc you’re easily the softest team in the league.
I guess you haven't seen Zucc play much. He plays a lot bigger than his size. He don't back down. He will hit people. There are a lot softer around the league than him.

Reactions: bernmeister
Dec 30, 2013
Toughness != Skilless.

Mental Toughness != Physical Toughness.

Having a losing culture can kill a team's hopes of success. Given ROR's statements, I doubt he's the type Dundon is looking for. He wants players that always give it 100%. At times this season, most of the Canes' roster was lifeless. Outside of a few players, there was almost no fight. From his past comments, I think that is what Dundon is referring to when he says "tougher."
He thinks Aho is the ideal type of player. Given that Aho is all of 5'11" and 172lbs, I don't think it's his size that Dundon is a fan of. Aside from skill, what set Aho apart from most of the team this season? He never quit, he was always a high energy player.

What I want (aside from a goalie that can put up at least a league average performance): A top six forward that will go to the front of the god damn net and won't be lifeless if the team is in a bad stretch.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Number 1 Goalie and a top 6 Forward , they will have a good team . I still think they should take a run at JVR as a UFA he would play nice in their system hes great in front of the net and the canes D can feed him the puck / he can clean up all the juicy rebounds.

I don't think there will be any number 1 goalie as UFA / trade-able this season so you might have to take a run at someone underrated or in a back up position that deserve a shot
Lous domingue , Aaron dell , stands out to me

But who i think would be really good to try and target would be Philipp Grubauer , Holtby is in his prime so he will be their starter for a few more years . Grubauer deserve to be a number 1 i'd seriously take a run at him if your looking for a stater

So in a nutshell what i think will make monumental improvements for this team is , Sign JVR as a UFA Trade for Philipp Grubauer. I think these 2 acquisitions will make Canes a much better team
Definitely onboard with either of those two. Wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Francouz as well. Guy seems to be NHL ready at worst and him taking a shot at one of the few NHL teams that has their starting goaltending situation flat out being their for the taking with an otherwise fine core should be appealing to him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are near the top of JVR's list either, he's not exactly physical but he's at least good around the net. Also, not sure how Gauthier has played this year in the AHL but that could help add some size and skill to the wing

Gauthier had a bit of a disappointing rookie season in the AHL. Foegele’s closer, although I think they’ll give him another year in Charlotte to develop offensively, as opposed to playing in a 4th line role next season. Zykov impressed in his trial run; I think he’ll be in the mix next year.

Beyond finding some kind of fix for the goaltending situation, Carolina’s offseason will really be defined by the quality of forward they bring in external to the organization. If the Canes are going to build without that top guy, and they may not have a choice, then they need to be stronger in 7-9 forward slots. Ryan, Rask and Stempniak/Di Giuseppe isn’t good enough if the 6 best forwards are Aho, Teravainen, Staal, Lindholm, Skinner and McGinn.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bigger and stronger means bigger and stronger than Skinner/Teravainen/Derek Ryan etc.

Not that they want your goons who can’t play. The canes have been too soft for years. They used to lack size AND skill. They couldn’t find players that had both so they started accumulating smaller skill guys. They want to balance that out some, while getting MENTALLY tougher too.

They can move up Zykov and Foegele and be on their way, no need to add crappy players with toughness.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It doesn't mean they have to throw away all their skilled guys, but getting more players who will crowd the net and go to the dirty areas is not a bad idea. There's still a place for grit in every lineup

One of the striking things about Zykov and Foegele when they were called up was how much more physical they were then the guys that they were replacing due to injury in Rask and Stempniak. Even injecting that in to the lineup, and those guys are no bruisers, had the team playing a LOT better.

Goat needs some more seasoning. I mean he wasn't bad but he was clearly not a guy that was quite as ready for the AHL as some of the other guys that came out of the CHL and other leagues for Charlotte this season. Saarela, Roy, and Foegele all had another season of development time, in Saarelas case in a top league, more then Gauthier had before making the jump.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Habs went down this route

About 6 years too late, the NHL is speed and skill now

But if you're looking for those guys I have the deal for you

McCarron, Shaw & Alzner for a signed Ron Francis Hartford Whalers jersey

Reactions: Rob Brown

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As some have alluded to.
Big difference between brute fists and tough to play against.

Someone like Komarov from a year or two ago would be my example. Doesn't fight, but is aggravating, fore checks hard, goes in the greasy areas, plays a hard puck possession game in the offensive zone, but can still contribute when he is given the opportunity.

Having a few 'go head first through the wall' type guys on a team can really help. They usually only cost marginally more than a guy who is 1 dimensional, but they can really help young guys who may be a bit more apprehensive or less intense.

Id put (from the Leafs) Zack Hyman as this kind of guy. Every coach raves about his hard work and determination. But because he isnt the most skilled, he wont cost allot even though he plays with high end guys. Listen to Matthews or Nylander, they love having him on their line.

After ROR's end of year comments I wonder if he is someone who could be targeted. Especially if the dont win the lottery, they need help on D and Carolina is still flush.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Shouldn't be tough to sign a veteran UFA or two to bring some heart and physicality to the middle/bottom end of the lineup. Hopefully that will help light a fire under the top players, I do think they're building a good young core.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00