Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I was just looking up stats and Carter Hart has a .951sv% in the WHL. 2nd best in the league with over 20 starts has a .919sv%. That's insane. Of course he's with the Flyers system. We took Kuokkanen ahead of him.

The first goalies of the latest drafts seem to be pretty good. Looks like Demko is gonna be a good goalie too

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Well the two guys we just compared him to each have a career NHL sv% of 1.000 so.......
giphy.gif

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I was just looking up stats and Carter Hart has a .951sv% in the WHL. 2nd best in the league with over 20 starts has a .919sv%. That's insane. Of course he's with the Flyers system. We took Kuokkanen ahead of him.

The first goalies of the latest drafts seem to be pretty good. Looks like Demko is gonna be a good goalie too

He’s on pace to break the major junior sv% record, currently held by the one and only Mike Murphy.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
"Size doesn't matter!"

Something only a guy can say with a straight face...

But part of my question/confusion is why is there such a big disconnect between what Peters sees in him to keep him after camp and what Vellucci sees in him to push him to a 3rd/4th line role?

There are a number of key points to this. As was previously stated Kuokkanen started at the NHL level, so missed some early AHL camp to get used to the guys and the coaches. He then went off for the WJCs and that took time out of his season as well. Early on he played with Saarela on his line and a range of other guys. But he had good chemistry w/Aleksi. As Joe said, he's now playing with Roy and Gauthier on his line. Both he and Goat are benefitting from it.

I actually thought he played fine when he was on the big club but was somewhat snakebit and didn't really score, which is what I think Peters had hoped for. The reality is that players like Zykov and Wallmark have had AHL experience and have grown their game (plus Wallmark played at the highest level Swedish men's league). Foegele is 2 years older. It was always going to take some time for Janne's game to come and it is great that it now appears to have ignited, at least a bit.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the sub six foot goaltender is the new sub 5'10 forward now that sub 5'10" forwards can play in the league now. the trend has goaltenders getting larger and skaters getting smaller and faster. that isn't to say you should exclusively draft big goalies, but they probably need to be 6'2" or so to consider them guys worthy of drafting in the first couple of rounds. it's why the ned pick was so weird to me. the reflexes and lateral agility required to bridge the gap is just so substantial. it's even something that's relatively obvious in game action when you see a 2 on 1 and the goalie is able to make a skate save with his drive off the post. a guy an inch or two shorter doesn't have a chance on those barring superhuman reflex.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
the goalie is able to make a skate save with his drive off the post. a guy an inch or two shorter doesn't have a chance on those barring superhuman reflex.
Ward had one of those last night where he barely got a skate on it, so your point is valid. However, I think with what we're seeing in Darling, the agility is still a major concern...perhaps equal (or greater) to size.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ward had one of those last night where he barely got a skate on it, so your point is valid. However, I think with what we're seeing in Darling, the agility is still a major concern...perhaps equal (or greater) to size.

there's certainly a point of diminishing returns on goalie size. it's a really odd balance. the thing for me that is most concerning about darling is his inability to track the puck and help his defense by getting to rebounds. the major thing for him was always going to be in economy of motion and doing the work early as it pertains to positioning. there have been so many times he hasn't been square to shots because he lost the angle on the shooter and exposed a lot of net which is something that eliminates his size advantage. he should be stopping the first shot almost 100% of the time if he's challenging properly. it should take a perfect shot. but again, having that much faith in your fundamentals is something that's inherently tied to your confidence level. goalies that are timid play deep because it gives them more time to react but it also gives shooters more net. the puck path is V shaped and the deeper you challenge towards the axis of the V the better. irbe made a career of that single technique with those three strides out of the net challenges that made him so unpredictable. not entirely sure that would be a viable strategy in today's league, but he was artistic with it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've wondered if the shooting percentage is not so much luck or skill, but where and when he shoots. He gets a lot of his opportunities on the PP directly in front of the net. That probably is a situation that both promotes a higher than average shooting percentage and one that is repeatable.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Looked up some stats to see if this could give more insight. So both Foegele and Zykov have scored a lot of goals, 23 for eighth and 27 for first in AHL, and have high shooting percentages, 18% and and 28%. They've good number more goals than assists. What else jumps out is Foegele is a +23 and Zykov is -15. I'm guessing Foegele is a Grabner situation where he gets a lot of breakaways. Zykov's case is rather curious. Leading the AHL in goals but how sustainable and how would that translate to the NHL? So 14 of those 27 goals are PPG, a bit over half. The Checkers' power play is at 19.5% which may seem average but is good for 4th best in the AHL where the top one is 23.4%. However, the Checkers are at the top of the league in power play chances, so they have the same number of total PPGs as the top power play teams with 52. This helps them to be the 3rd best team in goals for. And Zykov has scored a bit over a quarter of those PPGs. So clearly he is a weapon on the PP but that doesn't help his +/-. His success is probably a combination of luck, skill, and the coach knowing how to use him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
the sub six foot goaltender is the new sub 5'10 forward now that sub 5'10" forwards can play in the league now. the trend has goaltenders getting larger and skaters getting smaller and faster. that isn't to say you should exclusively draft big goalies, but they probably need to be 6'2" or so to consider them guys worthy of drafting in the first couple of rounds. it's why the ned pick was so weird to me. the reflexes and lateral agility required to bridge the gap is just so substantial. it's even something that's relatively obvious in game action when you see a 2 on 1 and the goalie is able to make a skate save with his drive off the post. a guy an inch or two shorter doesn't have a chance on those barring superhuman reflex.
Thing is we've seen Ned successfully show exactly that at high level play, mind you over a short tournament setting. Even on a US team that won bronze he had probably the single most dominant showing I've ever seen by a goalie in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad