Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I personally think Derek Ryan is more of a Keith Aucoin type player. Too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL top 6, and not a great fit in the bottom 6. He just gets to stick around in the NHL due to our weak forward group and because the NHL isn't as fixated on size and strength as it used to be even just 5-10 years ago. He would be a below average 3rd liner production wise if he wasn't handed undeserved powerplay minutes. Perhaps if he doesn't return here he can stick around in the NHL on a bottom feeder, but any legit contender he would probably be a healthy scratch if not sent down.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My thought on Ryan being re signed shouldn’t be confused with what I personally want. I want an upgrade or a kid in his AND in Kruger’s spot. Do they believe we have replacements? Would they bring in another fourth line center while paying Kruger? Ryan is relatively cheap insurance.

And yes I do think 12 goals and 28 points is relatively productive, it’s more than McGinn who we’d all consider productive. This is a third line (occasionally fourth) guy who basically year to year on a team that can’t score. We need to upgrade for sure, but he’s lived up to his end.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not if Derek Ryan is resigned.

Resigned to what.....failure? :sarcasm:

Next season the forwards we have under contract are: Staal, Skinner, Williams, Rask Teravainen, Aho, and McGinn. I'm assuming we'll re-sign Lindholm and qualify/re-sign Wallmark. That's 9 guys, 4 of whom can play center. While a true, #1 center would be nice, I just don't think it is as big of a need as a true scoring threat....a guy who can consistently put up 55 to 65 points. In my mind it doesn't matter if this guys is a wing or a center. It just needs to be somebody who pushes guys down a slot or two.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Resigned to what.....failure? :sarcasm:

Next season the forwards we have under contract are: Staal, Skinner, Williams, Rask Teravainen, Aho, and McGinn. I'm assuming we'll re-sign Lindholm and qualify/re-sign Wallmark. That's 9 guys, 4 of whom can play center. While a true, #1 center would be nice, I just don't think it is as big of a need as a true scoring threat....a guy who can consistently put up 55 to 65 points. In my mind it doesn't matter if this guys is a wing or a center. It just needs to be somebody who pushes guys down a slot or two.

It has been proven time and time again that all good teams have a great 1 - 2 center combo. We have a good to ok 2 - 3 combo. I think you're overlooking several aspects of the game including faceoffs and responsible defensive play that a great center can also bring to the table aside from scoring.

Reactions: Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From Pronman's Around the Farms:

Carolina: Warren Foegele, LW
Foegele has blown me away as a rookie pro, looking like one of the best two-way forwards in the AHL. He’s tied for fourth in the league in goals, has four shorthanded goals and I think has surprised even some of his biggest backers in the scouting world with how quickly he’s become a top player, especially given how little power play time he’s received this season on a good Charlotte team. Is he going to be a top-six forward in the NHL? I have my doubts. But he’s a great skater, he hustles, he’s smart and he keeps proving me wrong.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So, just did a bit of stat digging today, Needaspellcheck is leading the AHL in wins. Tied at 25 with one other but he's also done it in 4 fewer games. There's no reason for him not to be given serious consideration for the backup spot this upcoming season even if they've decided to let things play out with Ward-Darling for the rest of this year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So, just did a bit of stat digging today, Needaspellcheck is leading the AHL in wins. Tied at 25 with one other but he's also done it in 4 fewer games. There's no reason for him not to be given serious consideration for the backup spot this upcoming season even if they've decided to let things play out with Ward-Darling for the rest of this year.

I've been one of the people not giving up on him, but it seems like he's probably not ready yet just because the team in front of him scores a lot and he's gotten to play a lot with Smith being awful. Any consideration he gets should be small, and I hope we aim higher until he forces his way in.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
It would be amazing if Warren Foegele turned out to be the next Andrew Cogliano. For such a low pick, that would be amazing value. Also, although Cogs isn't a top line player, he is a huge role player on a playoff team. Or, better yet, could Foegele be the next Matty Cullen? :naughty:

I'm thinking the best Tommy Westlund.

Reactions: Tryamw

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It would be amazing if Warren Foegele turned out to be the next Andrew Cogliano. For such a low pick, that would be amazing value. Also, although Cogs isn't a top line player, he is a huge role player on a playoff team. Or, better yet, could Foegele be the next Matty Cullen? :naughty:

Agreed. I definitely envision him as a guy in the mold of a Cullen, Cogliano, Hagelin. Basically a very valuable 3rd liner, brings a lot of speed, good two game, and kills penalties. Let's hope he becomes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad