Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I didn’t rank him in our top 15 and people were confused as to how our top 2nd round pick this year could go unranked. Well...because this guy has no upside whatsoever that I can see.
Seen him play a lot? He has only 3 points in 16 gp in Liiga (3 pts in 6 CHL gp too) but KalPa is dumpster fire right now and every player is struggling. Compared to other 2nd rounders in Liiga he is doing just fine.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
You’ve seen him play a lot apparently, does he have a lot of upside?
He's upside could be something like middle-6 C. All-around solid player and he does have more offence than his stats are currently showing. He's been centering 2nd line all season and it's been our most consistent line.

edit: Luostarinen is playing U20 tournament in Russia. Should be strong candidate for the WJC team.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He's upside could be something like middle-6 C. All-around solid player and he does have more offence than his stats are currently showing. He's been centering 2nd line all season and it's been our most consistent line.

edit: Luostarinen is playing U20 tournament in Russia. Should be strong candidate for the WJC team.

I don’t think we are far off in terms of upside assessment. My assumption on him was that his ceiling was as a 3C. No top 6 upside. The Canes have a few similar prospects at center that have a higher upside but will be competing for a similar role (Wallmark, Roy, Elynuk, etc.). Granted I haven’t seen him play, just going on what I’ve read, and I prefer the guys that have that top 6 upside. I don’t doubt that he would be a top15 or higher prospect for me in another organization.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I don’t think we are far off in terms of upside assessment. My assumption on him was that his ceiling was as a 3C. No top 6 upside. The Canes have a few similar prospects at center that have a higher upside but will be competing for a similar role (Wallmark, Roy, Elynuk, etc.). Granted I haven’t seen him play, just going on what I’ve read, and I prefer the guys that have that top 6 upside. I don’t doubt that he would be a top15 or higher prospect for me in another organization.

You never answered the question above...have you seen him play a lot? What is the basis of your negative opinion?

Edit: Thanks to Cardiac_Canes for pointing out my lack of reading comprehension. I see that you did in fact already acknowledge you've never seen Eetu.L play.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You never answered the question above...have you seen him play a lot? What is the basis of your negative opinion?

No I haven’t seen him play at all. Why would I? My assumption that he doesnt have top 6 upside based on his statistics only was more or less confirmed by someone who apparently watches him plenty. Typically players who aren’t even close to PPG players in J.R.-B leagues in Finland don’t wind up being top 6 centers in the NHL. Or do I need to study the tape of every asshole drafted to state an opinion on a message board?

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Pronman with good words on Necas in the athletic:

Martin Necas, C, Carolina: Necas excelled in his first game in the Czech Extraliga for Brno since being assigned by Carolina. He played more than 16 minutes, scored a goal and was dangerous all game. His skill and speed stand out versus pros, and once he gets bulk onto his frame, he has the potential to be an impact player. That he was the first center over the boards for the 3-on-3 overtime shows what his coach thinks of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad