Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I don't think anyone is judging him based off that tournament, though, which is what you seemed to be implying in your original post about him.

Saying he had a bad tournament doesn't mean we're writing him off completely.

All I did was put up his stats, which is now 18pts in 15 games, and said not too bad for hot garbage.

You're the one that asked whether or not I watch the tournament, and I said I didn't but heard conflicting stories about his level of play. There was a loud audience on this board that said he sucked, but there were a few that said otherwise (I believe there was a columnist too that said he was good). You did say that the regular season stats don't tell the story, to which I said neither does 7 games of playing with strangers.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Also, in addition to his broken hand at the beginning of the season, I didn't realize until today that Jake Bean had also broken his foot 2 months prior to the draft.

I hope this kid doesn't break.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Also, in addition to his broken hand at the beginning of the season, I didn't realize until today that Jake Bean had also broken his foot 2 months prior to the draft.

I hope this kid doesn't break.

While neither a doctor nor a man playing one on TV, I don't typically think of broken bones as indicative of an "injury prone" red flag.

Unless he really doesn't get enough calcium, those are just kind of tough breaks (literally).

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Poor Josh Bean is never going to get a fair shake around here it appears. It's not his fault we drafted into an area of immense strength. I'm more salty about the Haydn Fleury pick personally.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Poor Josh Bean is never going to get a fair shake around here it appears. It's not his fault we drafted into an area of immense strength. I'm more salty about the Haydn Fleury pick personally.

Who isnt giving him a fair shake? Lots of us weren't impressed with him at world jrs but I think we all understand he's going to be a project that will take time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Here's all you need to know:

Wilkins looks to be having a pretty good first year at providence. Second in team scoring. Can't say I know anything more about the guy.

Doesn't look like Brind'amour has played many games at all this year.

One of my sons played against Wilkins a number of times, both in Ice and Roller Hockey. Kid was a fantastic talent, very creative offensively and things seemed to come natural to him, because he displayed this even as a very young player. Of course it's all relative in terms of level of competition, but he (Wilkins) was a regular on some of the more elite travel teams in the area as he got older.

I realize he's a bit older (19 YO Freshman), but seems to be doing well and is the 2nd leading scorer on Providence. Good to see.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
One of my sons played against Wilkins a number of times, both in Ice and Roller Hockey. Kid was a fantastic talent, very creative offensively and things seemed to come natural to him, because he displayed this even as a very young player. Of course it's all relative in terms of level of competition, but he (Wilkins) was a regular on some of the more elite travel teams in the area as he got older.

I realize he's a bit older (19 YO Freshman), but seems to be doing well and is the 2nd leading scorer on Providence. Good to see.

Wasn't Josh Wilkins at one of, or even the latest, prospect camp? Didn't he score a highlight reel goal?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wasn't Josh Wilkins at one of, or even the latest, prospect camp? Didn't he score a highlight reel goal?

Yes and yes (kinda). It was a spin around, through the legs type move. The puck kinda got away from him but he recovered and finished.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yes and yes (kinda). It was a spin around, through the legs type move. The puck kinda got away from him but he recovered and finished.

Yeah, I thought so. He was one of the more "obvious" camp invitees. He's got some wheels too if I recall.

On a totally unrelated note, I wonder what becomes of Ty Rattie? I didn't think he looked terrible when he was playing, but also didn't do anything special.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
An update on Bean from a Hitmen season ticket holder:

Firstly, on the injury front. The broken foot was a result of getting hit with a puck in the playoffs last year. I don't recall the exact play so I can't tell you if it was an intentionally blocked shot, or if it just hit him. More on shot-blocking below. As for the broken hand, it was the result of a dirty slash and the player that slashed him was suspended 3 games as a result. So I wouldn't call Bean injury-prone as a result of either.

I've seen 3 very different Jake Beans this season, and it shows tremendous growth. I had him in the 20-25 range in last year's draft and though Carolina reached a bit for him. Last season he played very sheltered minutes beside Travis Sanheim and was really only asked to be an offensive catalyst. He set the franchise record for single-season goals by a defenseman, mostly walking down from the left point and picking corners with his lethal wrist shot.

This season, pre-injury, he was still being given sheltered minutes (second defensive pairing), and paired with a shutdown style partner. His role was clearly as an offensive catalyst again. His defensive style was to funnel the attacking player either into his partner and let them deal with it, or to force the player into a low-quality scoring opportunity and allow the shot. This is where I could see him getting injured by a shot. Rarely would he initiate body contact, or attempt to take the puck away; rather, he would let his teammates do the work and then turn the puck up ice.

Post-injury, he did not skate with the Hitmen before heading to the WJC. There, he was thrust into a VERY different role - asked to be in a more shutdown position against much more talented players. In the semi-final game, he and Juulsen played top shutdown minutes against Sweden's top line to allow more open ice and offensive opportunities for Chabot. This was a big transition for Bean, and while I understand why he picked up the "hot garbage" label, I saw massive improvement in his game, primarily defensively and in turning the play.

Now that he's back with the Hitmen post-WJC, he's using his speed and puck handling abilities to defend, take the puck away from the attacking player, and pivoting up ice. He's clearly the top defenceman on the team, and he's now being played as such. Much smarter in his own zone, and he's showing a willingness to skate the puck up ice if the pass isn't there. So I've seen a big upswing in Bean's game in the last month - the downside is that the rest of the team has taken a big downswing. The Hitmen are terrible this year, and Bean has little to no support. He's also no longer under the radar, as other teams are keying in on him this season the same way they did to Sanheim last year. Bean's goal totals have dropped because his walk down from the point is gone, but he's still making plays so his assist totals are going up.

I expect him to dominate at the WJC next year as a 19 year old - the same way Chabot did this year after an underwhelming stint as an 18. I'll try to drop in and post updates on Bean for the rest of the season, and any other 'Canes prospects in the WHL that I get a chance to see.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
An update on Bean from a Hitmen season ticket holder:

Firstly, on the injury front. The broken foot was a result of getting hit with a puck in the playoffs last year. I don't recall the exact play so I can't tell you if it was an intentionally blocked shot, or if it just hit him. More on shot-blocking below. As for the broken hand, it was the result of a dirty slash and the player that slashed him was suspended 3 games as a result. So I wouldn't call Bean injury-prone as a result of either.

I've seen 3 very different Jake Beans this season, and it shows tremendous growth. I had him in the 20-25 range in last year's draft and though Carolina reached a bit for him. Last season he played very sheltered minutes beside Travis Sanheim and was really only asked to be an offensive catalyst. He set the franchise record for single-season goals by a defenseman, mostly walking down from the left point and picking corners with his lethal wrist shot.

This season, pre-injury, he was still being given sheltered minutes (second defensive pairing), and paired with a shutdown style partner. His role was clearly as an offensive catalyst again. His defensive style was to funnel the attacking player either into his partner and let them deal with it, or to force the player into a low-quality scoring opportunity and allow the shot. This is where I could see him getting injured by a shot. Rarely would he initiate body contact, or attempt to take the puck away; rather, he would let his teammates do the work and then turn the puck up ice.

Post-injury, he did not skate with the Hitmen before heading to the WJC. There, he was thrust into a VERY different role - asked to be in a more shutdown position against much more talented players. In the semi-final game, he and Juulsen played top shutdown minutes against Sweden's top line to allow more open ice and offensive opportunities for Chabot. This was a big transition for Bean, and while I understand why he picked up the "hot garbage" label, I saw massive improvement in his game, primarily defensively and in turning the play.

Now that he's back with the Hitmen post-WJC, he's using his speed and puck handling abilities to defend, take the puck away from the attacking player, and pivoting up ice. He's clearly the top defenceman on the team, and he's now being played as such. Much smarter in his own zone, and he's showing a willingness to skate the puck up ice if the pass isn't there. So I've seen a big upswing in Bean's game in the last month - the downside is that the rest of the team has taken a big downswing. The Hitmen are terrible this year, and Bean has little to no support. He's also no longer under the radar, as other teams are keying in on him this season the same way they did to Sanheim last year. Bean's goal totals have dropped because his walk down from the point is gone, but he's still making plays so his assist totals are going up.

I expect him to dominate at the WJC next year as a 19 year old - the same way Chabot did this year after an underwhelming stint as an 18. I'll try to drop in and post updates on Bean for the rest of the season, and any other 'Canes prospects in the WHL that I get a chance to see.

Wow! Very detailed post, thanks! I am very excited about Bean and look forward to your updates.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks for the update. I was one of the people here that thought he wasn't great in the WJCs, but not nearly as bad as most. I think you could see a lot of things from him that showed his promise regardless. I think he has a lot of tools to be really good. He just needs a fair amount of development, which luckily we can afford to give him.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Great analysis on Bean. Look forward to hearing some updates on him from you as well!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Thank you denominator for e-numerating us on the details of Bean's game. :naughty:

Sorry. But in all seriousness, thank you. I spend most of my free time meditating with CI in the snow so I don't have the chance to watch a lot of Hitmen games. It's very comforting to hear your analysis that he's working on being a #1 guy.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Prospect related question...........

Has there been instances of NHL GM's communicating with CHL teams about potentially moving players? Say for instance, in Jake Bean's situation where he's on a terrible team and GMRF doesn't like the way he's developing, can he communicate with Calgary's front office about trading him?

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
yeah there's is definitely some of that, but from what I've heard in interviews with our prospects is that the canes are very hands-off compared to other teams with their prospects

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has Brock mcginn played this season, and what do u guys see as his upside in the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad