OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXXIX, Yeah, I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did you check out Mark Cuban's new initiative? I haven't looked into it in much detail but it sounds like it could be revolutionary.

I have. The last time I looked at it, they weren't authorized/licensed in North Carolina, but haven't looked lately.

I only have one regular prescription (Statin drug) and they are generic and cheap, so for the most part, drugs haven't been an issue. This prescription I got today was the first non-regular one in 2 years, so for me it's not a common issue, but just frustrating.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I have. The last time I looked at it, they weren't authorized/licensed in North Carolina, but haven't looked lately.

I only have one regular prescription (Statin drug) and they are generic and cheap, so for the most part, drugs haven't been an issue. This prescription I got today was the first non-regular one in 2 years, so for me it's not a common issue, but just frustrating.
Costplus is licensed for NC now. My dad uses them. No problems so far.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Pneumology.

Ah yes. The study and treatment of Jerry's downstairs neighbor!

1675196990337.png

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Tell us how it goes!
Trying to figure it out. I call the doctor and get a recording saying "Have the pharmacy send a fax to this number". Even when I get a live person, they transfer me to the right person who I get the same message. I look on CostPlus and they say "Have you doctor fax the prescription to this number.

It would have been simple to do when I was there in person at the doctor, so I may need to stop in and take care of it since the phone tag might take days.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Did you check out Mark Cuban's new initiative? I haven't looked into it in much detail but it sounds like it could be revolutionary.

Costplus is licensed for NC now. My dad uses them. No problems so far.

So I just looked up the drug on CostPlus. $13.42 (which includes the $5 shipping).

Looks like I'm going that route.

I just scanned the CostPlus site for a couple meds and those prices look amazing. I've got very good insurance and only scrips for omeprazole (reflux) and sumatriptan (migraines) and didn't see anything that would cause me to shift. But the prices weren't much more than my cheap co-pay, with the biggest portion being the $5 shipping charge.

A big tip of the cap to Mark Cuban for his initiative to make generic medications affordable. Too bad it can't cover the new drugs that haven't hit generic status yet, but there are a lot of generics out there that should be effective for a lot of people.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
My turn to vent about a 1st world problem. I absolutely hate how the medical/insurance billing works in this country. I have decent insurance (a high deductible HSA), but trying to find out what a procedure will cost is impossible.

Example 1: My wife got major knee surgery a few years back. Before the list, I asked what it was going to cost me out of pocket. Nobody could give me an answer. I then asked for an itemized list of all the costs and what was covered and what wasn't. Again, nobody could answer. The Dr. had his fee, the hospital had multiple fees (OR, recovery, nurses), the anesthesiologist had their fee, etc.. etc.. In the end, she's going into surgery and he really didn't know what it would cost us in the end. We got a number of bills and paid them. then 3 months later, we get a partial refund as we paid too much.

Example 2: My adult kid needed to renew a prescription for an inhaler. Dr. said that he couldn't do it over the phone as he hadn't seen the kid in 2 years so the adult kid needed to set up an annual exam. Kid does so and annual exams are covered for free. We get a bill as the Dr. incorrectly coded it as an "office visit". I argued with the billing person and tried to escalate..but to no avail, they weren't changing the code.

My insurance provider changed to a different provider, but same plan (high deductible HSA).

Today: I schedule an annual exam with a dermatologist back in Nov. They said the earliest appointment was May. I asked if there were any sooner appointments as there was a spot on my arm I had concerns about. The found an earlier slot. I specifically asked: "Will this cover both looking at the spot and my annual preventative exam?" They said yes.

Today, I show up, Dr. comes in, looks at the spot, takes a sample for a biopsy and says "When you check-out, make sure you set up the appointment for your annual exam." I explained this was supposed to be an annual exam and she says it wasn't scheduled that way. From the time I entered the exam room until I left, 5 min. When checking out, I have a bill for $360 for this visit (plus there will be a lab fee for the biopsy as well). The woman looks the computer and says "Oh, I see the mistake the person made in schedule it, I'm so sorry. Best we can do is September for an annual exam."

Frustrated but understanding mistakes happen, I ask what the cost will be for the annual exam. She says she can't tell me as it will be between $77 and $193 depending how they "code" it. For instance, if they have to do a biopsy, it will be at the higher end of that range. I ask how come my 5 min. biopsy cost $360 today then? "Because it was coded as an office visit". I asked if she could give me a description of each code for the annual exam. Nope.

I would switch but when I looked at other providers in the network, they either weren't accepting new patients or the wait time was even longer. I'm not sure any other place is any better although I'll keep looking.

Ugh....I hate how the medical / insurance / billing works in this country.
That is 100% the most screwed up about how the Medical world works and truthfully has nothing to do with thr Gov. Just what we let them get away with. Imagine any other service where you ask what it cost and they say well my part will be x amount but.... there's five other people that will bill you. I dont know what they will charge and honestly don't know who I will use as a provider for thise services until we do it.

So I'm sure you are good with that right?

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Since the canes pretty much troll the entire league jerks style - we should be the first rink to have an ultras section, like they do in the Bundesliga. We can have top hat and glitter jacket guy, big plastic horn guy, dancing granny if shes still around, lets go canes guy, big flag guy, and anyone else who wants to be insane. We can do the drums and everything.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
there is a guy in section ~101 near the bottom who literally stands and waves a towel over his head all game every game, oftentimes to the beat of the crazy EDM music

give him the authority to train a whole army of people to do that and we'll be unstoppable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Since the canes pretty much troll the entire league jerks style - we should be the first rink to have an ultras section, like they do in the Bundesliga. We can have top hat and glitter jacket guy, big plastic horn guy, dancing granny if shes still around, lets go canes guy, big flag guy, and anyone else who wants to be insane. We can do the drums and everything.

She cannot possibly be... she felt impossibly old 15 years ago.

Reactions: DaveG and Borsig

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
She's not. She passed away in 2013.

EDIT: Here's the news article on her:
That'll sucks. A canes legend.

there is a guy in section ~101 near the bottom who literally stands and waves a towel over his head all game every game, oftentimes to the beat of the crazy EDM music

give him the authority to train a whole army of people to do that and we'll be unstoppable
I can vibe to this. I'm a regular at echostage and edm is my thing.

I'm telling you. Drums. Smoke. Half naked people. Chants.

Reactions: DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I would renew my season tickets for this

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad