OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXXIX, Yeah, I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
You found a NEW car? 🤯 By me the only thing you can find is a Ford F-150...lifted...that costs $70k+
Dealer markups make me excessively angry. I’ve been looking for something used and while prices are definitely slowly going down the cars I’m interested in are still overpriced. In 2018 I bought a 2013 GTI with 52k miles for $15,000. That same exact car today is over $20k easy. Don’t even get me started on the prices of pre-2001 Jeep Cherokees or any year Jeep Wrangler. Could’ve made a killing investing in Cherokees or Toyota 4x4s instead of meme stocks

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Dealer markups make me excessively angry. I’ve been looking for something used and while prices are definitely slowly going down the cars I’m interested in are still overpriced. In 2018 I bought a 2013 GTI with 52k miles for $15,000. That same exact car today is over $20k easy. Don’t even get me started on the prices of pre-2001 Jeep Cherokees or any year Jeep Wrangler. Could’ve made a killing investing in Cherokees or Toyota 4x4s instead of meme stocks
On the super-rare occasion someone has let their Maverick hit the lot (i.e. backed out of the order), they're being marked up 50%...I shit you not they're trying to sell an MSRP $32k for $48k and saying "that's after a $3k markup and $6k dealership discount!!" (math is not their strenth)

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
On the super-rare occasion someone has let their Maverick hit the lot (i.e. backed out of the order), they're being marked up 50%...I shit you not they're trying to sell an MSRP $32k for $48k and saying "that's after a $3k markup and $6k dealership discount!!" (math is not their strenth)
A 25k truck on a good day. I hope people who are buying these cars/trucks plan on keeping them forever. So many people are going to be upside down on their loans in a few years when it comes time to trade them in

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I have a 2014 Accord that I bought new for $21k. Three years ago, it was worth about $11k according to Edmunds. Now they say it could fetch $16k. I think it’s been at that level for a while now… doesn’t seem like things are getting any worse, but I’m not convinced they’re getting better yet.

I want a Tacoma someday, but I’m not wading into this market. I can put it off a few years.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For a toy and a 4wd vehicle i bought a 04 Nissan Xterra 4 years ago for $2300. Had just over 200000 on the clock. Not kidding I was looking the other day and I'm pretty sure I can sell it for over 5000 now
I believe it. I bought my fun car, a 97 Miata, three years ago for $6K. Low milage and in great shape. I checked a couple of months ago and I can easily sell it now for over $10K.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I believe it. I bought my fun car, a 97 Miata, three years ago for $6K. Low milage and in great shape. I checked a couple of months ago and I can easily sell it now for over $10K.

That's actually nuts.

My 2010 Civic has lasted me 7 years (inherited from my parents as a graduation gift, they got it new 12 years ago) and is still going strong at 175k. As I now work remote primarily it's absolutely our second option - I used to put 10-15k per year on it through commuting but now it's probably closer to 5k. I'm now in the situation where it could crap out tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me, or it could last another 5 years and not surprise me. All I'm hoping for is to make it out of this crazy market before needing another one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep I had the same experience when I was car shopping this summer. Combined with a ludicrously low low-ball on my current car they they'd sell for 5-10k more than they offered me within days most likely.

MSRP on the car was 31. Was told best they could do was 40. Told them no f***ing way I'm letting them take another 15k out of my wallet compared to book value (the new car plus the difference with the low-ball on my car).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I have a 2014 Accord that I bought new for $21k. Three years ago, it was worth about $11k according to Edmunds. Now they say it could fetch $16k. I think it’s been at that level for a while now… doesn’t seem like things are getting any worse, but I’m not convinced they’re getting better yet.

I want a Tacoma someday, but I’m not wading into this market. I can put it off a few years.
Since there are no actual small or really even "mid-size" pickups anymore (seriously a Tacoma now is bigger than a Ranger/F-150 from 10-15 years ago), I'm kinda leaning towards Tacoma (not a huge fan of the Santa Cruz and can't find a Mav). BUT you either gotta order and wait like 6 months, or pick up one of the $50k+ ones on the lot.
Yep I had the same experience when I was car shopping this summer. Combined with a ludicrously low low-ball on my current car they they'd sell for 5-10k more than they offered me within days most likely.

MSRP on the car was 31. Was told best they could do was 40. Told them no f***ing way I'm letting them take another 15k out of my wallet compared to book value (the new car plus the difference with the low-ball on my car).
Yea, my little Subaru started going through (no obvious burning or leaking) about 1qt of oil every 1,000 miles earlier this year, been keeping an eye on the market ever since to get another vehicle in case this one finally gives out. Of course even though it's a common issue with this year/model, and they finally had the recall issued last year, I was out of the 8 year/100k mile warranty...since I was at 9 years 130k miles so I'm SOL on the $6k small block replacement.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Everyone in the business that I’ve spoken to feel that the supply chain issues are still a year away from being resolved and then they expect a huge pent up demand for new vehicle purchases to keep prices high and inventory low.

Maybe interest rates will curb that demand some, but I have my doubts it will impact it substantially.

Reactions: DaveG

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I am trying fantasy hockey for the first time. I have been proposed two trades and I'd like to ask for some help.

Me: Kreider
Them: P. Kane

Me: Pavelski
Them: Tarasenko

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It’s Opel Crossland by the way.

About 22,5k $
No Skoda? Disappointed in you.

As for Ford, yeah it sucks any of their interesting vehicles get marked up like crazy. Was interested in even a base manual Bronco but I'm not paying those prices. I'll keep my current shitbox for another 200k miles, thanks.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
Everyone in the business that I’ve spoken to feel that the supply chain issues are still a year away from being resolved and then they expect a huge pent up demand for new vehicle purchases to keep prices high and inventory low.

Maybe interest rates will curb that demand some, but I have my doubts it will impact it substantially.
Sigh. I guess my plan of keeping my 2009 Sonata for another few years sounds like a good one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
so on another note, as my kinda lack of presence the past week would indicate from my post in the previous lounge, no exit plan needed from work. Been busy as f*** because I ended up getting the position, so a whole bunch of days this past week of me staying over at work by about 3-4 hours just to do review for the new position. Which now that I have it confirmed I can say I'll be doing EMR software and info security support for Wake Med... so... I imagine this is about everyone on the board right now that goes to a provider under their umbrella:
Moe-Oh-Dear-God-Barts-Comet.gif

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
My mother was at Rex when they were just transitioning to Epic. It was a bit of a cluster**** to say the least. I told the nurses they could go ahead and curse instead of holding back.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad