OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXXIX, Yeah, I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Regardless of what your opinions are on the racial undertones about the protesting, one thing that I hope we can all agree on.... Police need to be held to a high level of accountability when it comes to the force they use in their job. Officers beating the shit out of people they've already cuffed and subdued is just flat out unacceptable, and it happens far too often nationally. Yes, it happens to black people, it also happens to white people. It is done by white cops and black cops. It is a police problem, and it desperately needs to be reigned under control. Deadly force is way too quick to be used lately, and it just takes you coming across the bad cop having a bad day to be a victim.

I know plenty of good cops. Family friends with a lot of them, and up north many of them are family. The bad cops put them in danger. The bad cops are eroding the lack of trust between the public and their servants. And the unions need to realize that they're striking a match above a powderkeg by continuing to stonewall accountability and actual repercussions for the bad ones when they overstep.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
None of my solutions to this are popular.
Some are down right illegal. But then again, so is beating someone to death when they're handcuffed and subdued.

But as I told someone once about 10 or 12 years ago - law won't stop a slug. Law doesn't do you any good when you're dead either. Too late then for you.

The first solution is abolition of qualified immunity.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
After that, you're left with a message of "Hey, this is happening way too f***ing often", and everyone knows that already.

Regardless of what your opinions are on the racial undertones about the protesting, one thing that I hope we can all agree on.... Police need to be held to a high level of accountability when it comes to the force they use in their job. Officers beating the shit out of people they've already cuffed and subdued is just flat out unacceptable, and it happens far too often nationally. Yes, it happens to black people, it also happens to white people. It is done by white cops and black cops. It is a police problem, and it desperately needs to be reigned under control. Deadly force is way too quick to be used lately, and it just takes you coming across the bad cop having a bad day to be a victim.

How often is it currently happening?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Define “currently”

A quick Google search brings up Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Tyre Nichols as the ones that drew the most publicity/protests.

Which, already, too many names on that list. But that doesn’t even scratch the surface of a full list of wrongful deaths at the hands of the police.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Once is too many.... But reality is, we seem to hear about a similar case of cuffed people ending up hospitalized or dead half a dozen times a year. And while that doesn't sound like that many, these are just the cases that get exposed and go viral and aren't otherwise buried.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Goddamn I don’t envy you that sh^t.

Thanks to Roozkiez we are a sort of divided country, but US as per usual is going for the first place in anything right or wrong.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
And that the offenders have already been arrested, and their unit disbanded. A lot of the outrage in 2020 had to do with this sort of thing happening, and there being no real repercussions.
Also it was summer and everyone had cabin fever from covid lockdowns. A perfect storm to lead to the largest mass protests since the civil rights movement

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Define “currently”

A quick Google search brings up Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Tyre Nichols as the ones that drew the most publicity/protests.

Which, already, too many names on that list. But that doesn’t even scratch the surface of a full list of wrongful deaths at the hands of the police.
Not all of those were unjustified FTR

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not all of those were unjustified FTR

Did all of them require the victim to die? If the answer is no, then yes, their death was unjustified.

I don't care who resisted arrest, who had warrants, who could have been on drugs. None of those are reasons a person should be killed by the police. They could be guilty as sin and the police STILL shouldn't be killing them.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Did all of them require the victim to die? If the answer is no, then yes, their death was unjustified.

I don't care who resisted arrest, who had warrants, who could have been on drugs. None of those are reasons a person should be killed by the police. They could be guilty as sin and the police STILL shouldn't be killing them.
Micheal Brown attacked a police officer, tried to steal his gun and ran off. When he was caught up to he charged the police office. 100% justified and most of Ferguson burnt to the ground because of it.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Micheal Brown attacked a police officer, tried to steal his gun and ran off. When he was caught up to he charged the police office. 100% justified and most of Ferguson burnt to the ground because of it.

That was definitely one of the accounts told. Another is that when the officer caught up to Brown, Brown turned with his hands up and said “Don’t shoot” before being shot 6 times.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
That was definitely one of the accounts told. Another is that when the officer caught up to Brown, Brown turned with his hands up and said “Don’t shoot” before being shot 6 times.
You believe what you want to, thats what happens in most of these things. A FBI investigation found there was zero evidence to support the claim that Brown surrendered

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The fact that the people in power would like nothing more than to find a pretext to charge the officer but they can't because the countless reinvestigations keep turning up nothing is telling.

Reactions: Derailed75

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't know enough to comment on the actual shooting of Michael Brown. But it sure sounds like justified or not it was a match that set a tinderbox ablaze. I've read multiple reports that there were longstanding serious racial tensions between the minority-black population and the majority-white city government and police prior to the incident. And I've got to believe the fact that his body was left lying in the street for 4 hours must have further antagonized a population that already felt dehumanized.

Again, not commenting on the actual shooting, or trying to justify the rioting in any way at all. Just pointing out that each incident needs to be looked at in a detailed, objective fashion instead of as being black or white (from a positional perspective, not racially).

edit: the wiki entry for this is quite interesting Shooting of Michael Brown - Wikipedia

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Fnv99nJXoAEsC1-

Interesting, but I'mma wait until that one is fact checked before giving it too much weight.

Reactions: MinJaBen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That sounds like a whole bunch of hooey. They all went out on camera and beat a guy eventually to death because one of them was stalking his ex’s bf? They all threw their careers and lives away over that? Not seeing it.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
None of my solutions to this are popular.
Some are down right illegal. But then again, so is beating someone to death when they're handcuffed and subdued.

But as I told someone once about 10 or 12 years ago - law won't stop a slug. Law doesn't do you any good when you're dead either. Too late then for you.

The first solution is abolition of qualified immunity.

I mean, I want there to be police reforms, but think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects of the end of Qualified Immunity. George Soros immediately funds an unlimited budget legal office that automatically sues each and every officer who uses force in the line of duty, bringing all major PDs to their knees. Doesn't matter if they win- all they need to do is wear out the individual cops and mire them in legal fees.
You believe what you want to, thats what happens in most of these things. A FBI investigation found there was zero evidence to support the claim that Brown surrendered

Yeah, plus Brown was a violent criminal who had just moments before brutalized a shop keeper and was enough of a psycho to walk down the middle of the street, and flip out on a cop who merely told him to get out of the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad