Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think 4WD vehicles are more dangerous than a good FWD or RWD car. It makes people think they are invincible but doesn't do anything to help with stopping...leading to more collisions. Growing up in Vermont at the time I did, I didn't know anybody who drove a 4WD car in the winter. Most were FWD or RWD pickups with a ****-ton of sand bags in the back.

They aren’t “more dangerous”. They make people feel over confident who are inexperienced in driving in bad weather.

I grew up in WV and went to college in Pittsburgh. My cars were a Fiero and Cutless Supreme. I could do epic doughnuts with the Cutless, the Fiero would only drive straight lines.

With the trucks I’ve owned (2 and both 4x4, and my Jeep), the 4x4 turns them from RWD to FWD.

That’s the thing to remember. I probably have 3000 lbs on the front axle, so using it as FWD allows for turning and taking off a lot better than a RWD, on the other hand, slowing down takes more, so leaving gaps and driving slower is required.

But if you haven’t had experience in this stuff, yeah, think 4x4 is a magical thing, you’re wrong, but to say they are worse, only to those who don’t understand how it works.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
As a Raleigh native and old retired guy I can say I've seen more accidents by Northerners than natives since the Yanquis moved here in droves. They think they can drive in nasty weather and everyone else is an idiot. Unfortunately it is often ice underlying the snow and no one can really drive on ice well. The roads aren't cleared and salted, etc. like in the northern climes. And people don't have snow tires nor chains. I used to travel all over for work and never had trouble driving in the snow up north. Here it is different.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
As a Raleigh native and old retired guy I can say I've seen more accidents by Northerners than natives since the Yanquis moved here in droves. They think they can drive in nasty weather and everyone else is an idiot. Unfortunately it is often ice underlying the snow and no one can really drive on ice well. The roads aren't cleared and salted, etc. like in the northern climes. And people don't have snow tires nor chains. I used to travel all over for work and never had trouble driving in the snow up north. Here it is different.
Not accusing you of being wrong, necessarily, but...how can you know that you've seen more accidents by Northerners than natives? I mean...how do you determine a person's "true locale" when you're driving past an accident site?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
it's disgusting outside

walking the dog was a struggle

I can understand...

bf144aee-d85b-4789-a714-8fdbcfd84488.jpg

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Not accusing you of being wrong, necessarily, but...how can you know that you've seen more accidents by Northerners than natives? I mean...how do you determine a person's "true locale" when you're driving past an accident site?

Neighbors, co-workers, etc. I've got 2 people on my street from northern Joisey and both have had wrecks in the snow in the past few years. No one else on the street has that I know of. I remember even in high school one of the few transplants at the time was the only person I knew who wrecked in the snow one year. I worked with guys from Syracuse, Cleveland, Mass. and Detroit to name a few places and these particular folks all had wrecks in snow/ice. Only 1 of the natives I worked with who far outnumbered the transplants had a wreck in the 25+ years I worked at that place. I kept note of this because I got tired of hearing from these guys how us Southerners were dumb f***s when it came to driving in the snow. (Thus my ardor).

Not to say most Northerners have wrecks and no natives do. It's just that the Northerners often have a false sense of things and are used to driving on "snow". When it snows here (not sleet or freezing rain which is even more common and worse), it often melts during the day and then freezes and melts and freezes which makes the surface ice. In colder climes it stays cold, the snow compacts and sooner rather than later the roads are cleared.

Much different driving on ice than snow.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've got 2 people on my street from northern Joisey and...

Stop right there....I see your problem. And being a Northerner from from an urban area and a Northerner from a rural area is very different, from my perspective. All my Northerner experience is from the mountains and the sticks...the driving there is very different from most of those places you mentioned.

All that said, I agree completely with you about the difference between the usual conditions up north compared to the usual conditions down here...ice is a completely different animal compared to just a snow covered road. When it's icy, I use all my driving experience and expertise to just stay the f*** home.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
First snowfall (dusting) in the Columbus area this winter and I can see a long highway back up from my apartment window. I thought this only happened in the south?

*I am now seeing the upstream conversation is about this. This post is not in reaction to any of the above conversation*

Last edited:

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Stop right there....I see your problem. And being a Northerner from from an urban area and a Northerner from a rural area is very different, from my perspective. All my Northerner experience is from the mountains and the sticks...the driving there is very different from most of those places you mentioned.

All that said, I agree completely with you about the difference between the usual conditions up north compared to the usual conditions down here...ice is a completely different animal compared to just a snow covered road. When it's icy, I use all my driving experience and expertise to just stay the **** home.

Yeah. Have a good friend who lived west of Princeton in a beautiful rural area. And an old friend from the sticks near the Adirondacks. So I do know the difference between urban and rural North. My neighbors are true Joisey guys though.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't pay attention to High School football but saw Wake Forest High won their 2nd consecutive state title. Before last season the last team from Wake County to win a state title was 1987. Independence in Charlotte used to run the show and went something like 8 years undefeated but not anymore.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not to say most Northerners have wrecks and no natives do. It's just that the Northerners often have a false sense of things and are used to driving on "snow". When it snows here (not sleet or freezing rain which is even more common and worse), it often melts during the day and then freezes and melts and freezes which makes the surface ice. In colder climes it stays cold, the snow compacts and sooner rather than later the roads are cleared.

Much different driving on ice than snow.

That's a false generalization that Northerners only drive on snow and never on ice so they are only used to "driving on snow". Take it from someone who has lived in Northern climates and has now been down here for 14 years. I've driven in icy conditions 100s of times more in the north than here in Raleigh. Where I grew up in the northern midwest, the town kept an outdoor ice rink just down the road from where I lived. Most of the time, we could just put on our skates at home and skate right down the road to the rink. I've also experienced some of the worst ice storms I've ever seen living in the northeast. And in the spring especially, when the thaw/freeze cycle hits the north, there is ice a lot of the time.

The biggest difference isn't ice vs. snow, it's what you said earlier that this area simply isn't equipped to handle it and when you combine that with the amount of traffic on the roads, it becomes bad.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's a false generalization that Northerners only drive on snow and never on ice so they are only used to "driving on snow". Take it from someone who has lived in Northern climates and has now been down here for 14 years. I've driven in icy conditions 100s of times more in the north than here in Raleigh. Where I grew up in the northern midwest, the town kept an outdoor ice rink just down the road from where I lived. Most of the time, we could just put on our skates at home and skate right down the road to the rink. I've also experienced some of the worst ice storms I've ever seen living in the northeast. And in the spring especially, when the thaw/freeze cycle hits the north, there is ice a lot of the time.

The biggest difference isn't ice vs. snow, it's what you said earlier that this area simply isn't equipped to handle it and when you combine that with the amount of traffic on the roads, it becomes bad.

Co-signed. There’s black ice all over the place here right now. And there will be a lot throughout the winter. That phenomenon happens any time it gets above freezing and then re-freezes. This isn’t Winnipeg, temps in the high 30s and low 40s aren’t uncommon even in the dead of winter.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Just noticed on my credit report I got dinged by a collection agency which caused my score to plummet. I don’t owe anyone a dime, have no clue what this is about and have never been contacted by an agency detailing any debt they believe I owe.

What a f***ed up system where someone can just ding you like that and then you have to prove your innocence and go through all the trouble of straightening it out.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Just noticed on my credit report I got dinged by a collection agency which caused my score to plummet. I don’t owe anyone a dime, have no clue what this is about and have never been contacted by an agency detailing any debt they believe I owe.

What a ****ed up system where someone can just ding you like that and then you have to prove your innocence and go through all the trouble of straightening it out.

Reverse the charges

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pretty much. MARTA does at least have a stop at the Atlanta airport. The Lynx rail does not have a stop at the Charlotte airport which would be a huge relief over having to drive to the damn airport. I HATE driving to Charlotte/Douglas. Hell I dislike Charlotte/Douglas in general. It's a bit less of a headache than Atlanta/Hartsfield, but again thats not anything to brag about.

Not having to drive to the airport or pay for parking is a wonderful thing- I love flying out of National. Dulles can bite me until the Metro line going out there is built.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Any of you switch from the iPhone ecosystem to the Android ecosystem? I am contemplating jumping from my iPhone 6+ to the new Google Pixel 2 XL, but I am not sure. I like the integration the Pixel has with the Google software that I use primarily, but the rest of my family is still in the iOS ecosystem (though we all use Google calendar and gmail primarily in iOS), so I worry about how much of a hassle that will be.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts or experiences from those who have done that type of switch.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I switched away from iPhone 3Gs with not-up-to-date iOS about three years back. Comps at our house being mostly Macs, I obviously lost in sync integration.

The biggest speed bumb has been certain niche iOS-only apps of which the providers don't make even an Android version. My eBook reading habit hit a complete wall as the great Ebook Search app by Inkstone Software, Inc was only for iOS.

... aaaand apparently they now got it at Google Play too.
eBook Search App — 8+ Million Free Books for iPhone, iPad, and Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad