Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yep, I can literally walk to work (and typically do) from the place that I live out here in Winston-Salem now. It's been a lot less stressful on me. Only time I drive now is if I'm going back to Raleigh, down to Brown Truck, or if the weather's absolute **** that day.

Historically, my commute is about 24 steps, from my bedroom to my home office....sometimes I go all the way downstairs for breakfast.....Now, I still have a job where I use my home office, but I've been commuting to Montreal about every other week. I don't want to hear any commuter laments....

Seriously, I've been fortunate that my jobs in sales, marketing, and consulting have allowed the luxury of often working from home. The key, in my opinion, however, is to separate your work from the rest of your home....and don't constantly find you way back to the "office". It is very easy to essentially "work all the time".

I live in DC these days. You don't get to complain. Until you have traffic delays that stretch into the hours on a daily basis, you cannot comprehend. I could get from Greensboro to the mountains in the time it takes me to get from the east side of DC to Fairfax.

I had a job about 5 or 6 years ago where our home office was in DC (Chinatown). I'd make the trip up there once or twice a month. That drive from DC to Fredricksburg (about 55 miles) could take a little over an hour or it could take 3.5 hours. Most afternoons, you pretty much had to plan for about 2 or 2.5 hours. It made a 4.5 hour drive a 7 hour drive most Fridays. Only way to avoid it was to leave before noon.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've been commuting to Montreal about every other week.
Seriously, I've been fortunate that my jobs in sales, marketing, and consulting have allowed the luxury of often working from home. The key, in my opinion, however, is to separate your work from the rest of your home....and don't constantly find you way back to the "office". It is very easy to essentially "work all the time".

Whereabouts in Montreal?

I’m in Montreal 6 days a week for the next year at least.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I've been spoiled most of my working life. The longest commute I ever had was when I was an intern in Charlotte - I lived in Ballantyne and worked downtown. The options were to either take the train or go out on 77 and the worst stretch of 485. I didn't want to deal with the traffic and also wanted the urban experience (such as it is in Charlotte, anyway), so I took the train. It was about a 10 minute drive to the station, another 25 riding from one end of the line to the other, then four blocks walking to the office. All told, just under 45 minutes. Driving probably would have taken about as long, but this way I could stretch my legs and do some reading for part of the trip.

Since I started working full time, I've managed to keep my commute to 20 minutes or less for two different jobs from five different apartments & houses. I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.

Speaking of which, snow expected Friday here through Friday evening. Dave asked to work Saturday in 3... 2...
It won't stick. Don't worry about it.

DC at least has a very good subway system. I found it to be better than MARTA in Atlanta, which might not be saying a lot, but still.

MARTA is one small step above the Charlotte light rail, which itself is pretty limited and still in its infancy. The Metro is much, much better. As much as I hate DC traffic, I would at least consider moving there because there's a viable alternative for getting around.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't know how to tell you this, but the Triad doesn't have the experience or capability the Triangle has in terms of dealing with snow.

Sadly, that's not a joke.

I don't doubt it, and crazy enough that's kinda my point. Winston-Salem and Greensboro aren't like the Triangle in terms of transplant population. And that's before we get to talking about infrastructure.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
here's the bonkers forecast next week for Toronto (in commie units)
DQYoYPQUEAA46UT.jpg:large

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
MARTA is one small step above the Charlotte light rail, which itself is pretty limited and still in its infancy. The Metro is much, much better. As much as I hate DC traffic, I would at least consider moving there because there's a viable alternative for getting around.

Pretty much. MARTA does at least have a stop at the Atlanta airport. The Lynx rail does not have a stop at the Charlotte airport which would be a huge relief over having to drive to the damn airport. I HATE driving to Charlotte/Douglas. Hell I dislike Charlotte/Douglas in general. It's a bit less of a headache than Atlanta/Hartsfield, but again thats not anything to brag about.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Pretty much. MARTA does at least have a stop at the Atlanta airport. The Lynx rail does not have a stop at the Charlotte airport which would be a huge relief over having to drive to the damn airport. I HATE driving to Charlotte/Douglas. Hell I dislike Charlotte/Douglas in general. It's a bit less of a headache than Atlanta/Hartsfield, but again thats not anything to brag about.

My work is behind the airport off of Tyvola.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No hint of sarcasm there? None??? Eeeesh. That's not good. Because the Triangle blows a massive ..... well, you know ..... In that field.
I oppose the idiom. Surely blowing a massive erm should be considered a commendable achievement.

It's exactly because of this sort of disregard and contempt towards proper artisanship why the world sucks today badly.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
No hint of sarcasm there? None??? Eeeesh. That's not good. Because the Triangle blows a massive ..... well, you know ..... In that field.

I know. And yet they are orders of magnitude better than Winston-Salem. The number of times I saw roads being cleared with excavator buckets is the number of times I saw accumulated snow while there. Which wasn't THAT frequent, but often enough that you might like better equipment for the job.

It's mostly a state-wide issue, but the Triangle has done more to mitigate that part than most other areas of the state. Even after the freak 2000 storm or the 2002 ice storm that the NWS decided to remind me of the 15th anniversary(!) of yesterday.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have always loved this kind of implication that a person gets to use a more safe vehicle mainly only because there is an actually cared for person with her.

"I had to get new tires for the wife's car, as she drives my kids around with it."

My MIL car is a 2016 Genesis RWD v8.

Truck has near new tires and 4x4 if needed. Ass end will get out of shape easy if it’s not in 4x4

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I have always loved this kind of implication that a person gets to use a more safe vehicle mainly only because there is an actually cared for person with her.

"I had to get new tires for the wife's car, as she drives my kids around with it."
I get that you’re having fun with the notion but, man...have a kid and feel that switch flip. It’s visceral.

I remember the exact moment it flipped for me...my daughter was about 4 hours old and I was standing over her while she lay asleep. Brought me to tears, literally. It was crystal clear that no other human meant more to me, and save her sister, that still holds true today.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think 4WD vehicles are more dangerous than a good FWD or RWD car. It makes people think they are invincible but doesn't do anything to help with stopping...leading to more collisions. Growing up in Vermont at the time I did, I didn't know anybody who drove a 4WD car in the winter. Most were FWD or RWD pickups with a shit-ton of sand bags in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->