Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When the Weinstein news broke, I told my wife that there would be scores of high profile men that were going to be taken down in the future and a bunch of them were probably shaking in their boots. Some of the names coming our aren't surprising to me, some (Charlie Rose) are shocking.

It's disappointing with the news coming out where people were making false claims, which makes it harder for victims with real claims and can lead to innocent people being fired, or having their reputations tarnished. I saw a news report where a woman, who was part of a conservative group, went to the Washington post with false claims that Roy Moore impregnated her when she was 15. Her intent was to get the news to report it, only to later deny it so that they could claim "fake news" / "mainstream media bias".

What's still mind boggling though, is that all these people are being fired, but the people of the United States saw fit to elect a guy, who was caught on tape admitting that he does/did the exact same thing these guys are being fired for.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
When the Weinstein news broke, I told my wife that there would be scores of high profile men that were going to be taken down in the future and a bunch of them were probably shaking in their boots. What's disappointing though, is some of the news coming out where people were making false claims, which makes it harder for victims with real claims. I saw a news report where a woman, who was part of a conservative group, went to the Washington post with false claims that Roy Moore impregnated her when she was 15. Her intent was to get the news to report it, only to later deny it so that they could claim "fake news" / "mainstream media bias".

What's still mind boggling though, is that all these people are being fired, but the people of the United States saw fit to elect a guy, who was caught on tape admitting that he does/did the exact same thing these guys are being fired for.

There is a reason the framers of the constitution wrote due process into it. I believe most of the women who are making the accusations, but I think we've gone way too far with the "take statement, fire guy" approach.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I saw a news report where a woman, who was part of a conservative group, went to the Washington post with false claims that Roy Moore impregnated her when she was 15. Her intent was to get the news to report it, only to later deny it so that they could claim "fake news" / "mainstream media bias".

Yep, the one and only James O'Keefe is behind that massive backfire.

It speaks to two things: that this is a societal issue isn't well formed in terms of how the general public views it and the fact that people will vote for their preferred political party regardless of the awfulness of the candidate. It's a sad time we live in.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I think we've gone way too far with the "take statement, fire guy" approach.
From where we sit, it's hard to say. Clearly a business has the right to do for itself as it sees fit, and we aren't privy to the due diligence those companies go through. And, based on how things have generally gone for 100 years in terms of women's concerns in the workplace being ignored, it's bound to swing to the opposite extreme for a while before it balances out to a new medium.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There is a reason the framers of the constitution wrote due process into it. I believe most of the women who are making the accusations, but I think we've gone way too far with the "take statement, fire guy" approach.

Yeah, it's a very difficult situation, which is always the case in a he said, she said scenario but I do believe this type of behavior is more rampant than most people recognize. It does seem that the pendulum may be swinging / has swung too far away from due process, but in fairness, I don't know what type of investigation these companies have done before firing a guy like Lauer. When it's a guy that is the star of the network, I'd be inclined to assume they've done quite a bit of investigation, but maybe not.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From where we sit, it's hard to say. Clearly a business has the right to do for itself as it sees fit, and we aren't privy to the due diligence those companies go through. And, based on how things have generally gone for 100 years in terms of women's concerns in the workplace being ignored, it's bound to swing to the opposite extreme for a while before it balances out to a new medium.

Yeah, it's a very difficult situation, which is always the case in a he said, she said scenario but I do believe this type of behavior is more rampant than most people recognize. It does seem that the pendulum may be swinging / has swung too far away from due process, but in fairness, I don't know what type of investigation these companies have done before firing a guy like Lauer. When it's a guy that is the star of the network, I'd be inclined to assume they've done quite a bit of investigation, but maybe not.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that the accused's behaviors are reprehensible and far more common than any of us (men) really know. And I'm guessing there is some investigation going on in each case. But I do question the rush to judgement that seems to be happening here.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I kind of feel like that in order to fire him just off of allegations they may have known about it and tried to bury it, only for it to get out again and are now covering their asses.

Alsso, it's very possible like gee and BBA said that it's just at an extreme right now because of how much it's been ignored.

Either way, our judicial system is kind of getting out of hand with guilty before being proven because of the media and other things, which is why I feel my first point is a very likely possibility.

I don't mean that as in he didn't do it. If he did do it he should suffer the consequences, but suspend him while doing your investigation before firing him over allegations.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well this doesn't make me feel better about the investigation:

NBC News chairman Andrew Lack said in an early morning memo to staff that the complaint was filed on Monday night. Lack said it was the first complaint lodged against Lauer in his career at the network. But he also said "we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident."

From CNN.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Looking at some 100 gig circuits going in, the laser module (which is just a small form circuit pack that send light, plugs into another board and part of the equipment that handles the routing), it costs 39,000 dollars, and this path has like 8 of them.

Reactions: Breakdowns

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Or maybe, like JCLA said, there was prior knowledge that they swept under the rug but no longer could do that.
Maybe. I was just taking this for fact: "Lack said it was the first complaint lodged against Lauer in his career at the network." If this crops up on Monday, and he's confronted with it and doesn't deny it, then...done deal.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
When the Weinstein news broke, I told my wife that there would be scores of high profile men that were going to be taken down in the future and a bunch of them were probably shaking in their boots. Some of the names coming our aren't surprising to me, some (Charlie Rose) are shocking.

There's been a steady stream of high profile sex abuse cases in this country for decades. Going back to the early 90's with Bill Clinton and Clarence Thomas all the way up to recent time with Bill O'Reilly and Bill Cosby. I'm curious why you would see the Weinstein story and think it would be different and cause "scores of high profile men" to be taken down. I mean, it has obviously played out that way...but why did you see the Weinstein story differently?

Don't let it boggle your mind. The vote last November wasn't a referendum to determine if Trump is a paragon of virtue.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There's been a steady stream of high profile sex abuse cases in this country for decades. Going back to the early 90's with Bill Clinton and Clarence Thomas all the way up to recent time with Bill O'Reilly and Bill Cosby. I'm curious why you would see the Weinstein story and think it would be different and cause "scores of high profile men" to be taken down. I mean, it has obviously played out that way...but why did you see the Weinstein story differently?

Good question. There were really 2 reasons:

1) With Weinstein, I suspected (right or wrong) that some of the victims would be more famous, and thus would gather more media attention than the others you mention. The victims in these other cases, were for the most part, not well known. I'm not suggesting that makes it any less egregious, just that when famous actresses start coming forward, I figured the media would give it more attention and would lead to more women coming forward. Even Crosby's victims weren't nearly as high profile overall.

2) Very shortly after the Weinstein news came out, the #metoo campaign really took off. That campaign started in the mid 2000s, but with Alyssa Milano using it to invite women to share their stories it went viral, particularly with social media these days.

Right or wrong, those are the two reasons why I thought it would be much different this time.

Don't let it boggle your mind. The vote last November wasn't a referendum to determine if Trump is a paragon of virtue.

Oh, I fully know why he was voted in, still doesn't mean I can't question why the people voted for a guy who admitted on tape that he's a person that abused his position of power to sexually exploit women. Nor does it mean I shouldn't expect a person, who is in arguably the most powerful position in the world to be above that.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

1) With Weinstein, I suspected (right or wrong) that some of the victims would be more famous, and thus would gather more media attention than the others you mention. The victims in these other cases, were for the most part, not well known. I'm not suggesting that makes it any less egregious, just that when famous actresses start coming forward, I figured the media would give it more attention and would lead to more women coming forward. Even Crosby's victims weren't nearly as high profile overall.

Weinstein was more powerful than any both the most high profile, most successful actresses. That's the rub....he basically had the influence and the schwing not just with his own studio, but with other major studio execs to flat out ruin even the most well know actress. It was the simultaneous critical mass of accusers coming forward with credible, provable stories that got that ball rolling. Guy was a world class scum-bag, but it didn't mean nearly all of his potential accusers weren't terrified of him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

we need to do something about these pennsylvania based hockey players and their sexual assaulting between claude giroux grabbing ass and this clown

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
had a bad fall a couple of weeks ago and hurt my wrist pretty bad. finally went for an x-ray, doc said since i could move it fine and no swelling, probably a bone bruise or something.

nope. broken bone, ligament damage, possible surgery. and several more weeks of recovery. huzzah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad