OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXIV: Tarheel got tired of seeing a gross word in the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I am leaving Thursday for 4 nights and 3 days in beautiful Galena, Illinois, a place that has a golf course, a lake, go-karting, and a BBQ grill outside our rental cottage. Because we needed to drive 7 hours for that. :laugh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had to look up Galena. Looks pretty nice. Have you or anyone else vacationed on the Great Lakes? There's a couple of places in Michigan that look awesome.

Also the lakes in Minnesota look appealing, although I'm afraid I might die from mosquitos :laugh:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
The mosquitoes in Pamlico County, NC have been know to make grown men disappear.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There are already laws prohibiting the behavior that hb2 exists to address. This law added zero actual protections for anyone. Period.

But then, isn't there also laws already prohibiting murders, mass murders, shooting rampages and various firearm violations? I understand a portion of people strongly opposing HB2 yet overlap with those who are very pro gun control.

Could HB2 actually be very sneaky gun amendment commentary? "Oh now you wish too see people's rights respected on account of there already being laws against all the illegal activity? Gosh."

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A truly viable third party candidate probably can't exist in our presidential politics due to the electoral college. If one did run a successful campaign and got enough votes to lead the results, it would be unlikely that any of the candidates would get the required 270 delegates to win, thus the House of Representatives would decide the winner which would hand the presidency to the majority party there. In this case, that would mean the Republicans. Thus, Trump.

Ah. I didn't take in account the practicalities of the election system.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A truly viable third party candidate probably can't exist in our presidential politics due to the electoral college. If one did run a successful campaign and got enough votes to lead the results, it would be unlikely that any of the candidates would get the required 270 delegates to win, thus the House of Representatives would decide the winner which would hand the presidency to the majority party there. In this case, that would mean the Republicans. Thus, Trump.

First across the line and the electoral college royally **** over the thoughts of a 3rd party working in the US.

No way Congress throws the election to Trump in that case. And there's no obligation to do so.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Under the Charlotte ordinance (overridden by HB2), a man could use a multiple occupancy female bathroom or changing facility under the protection that he identifies as a female. If you kicked his ass because he wants to use the locker room when your wife and daughter are in there, you'd be charged with assault and a hate crime.

I see the terms "hateful" and "bigoted" used a lot to describe supporters of the bathroom portion of HB2. However, go look at what people on both sides of the debate say and write about the other...which side is the most hateful and intolerant of the other?.

In the first quote I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning by what I referr to as "perv", which would be something more grotesque (peeping, attempts at sexual assault, etc.). There are likely mixed feelings from many about potential sordid possibilities, but that could and has happened prior to any law or ordinance being passed. This has always been a solution in search of a problem, starting with Charlotte's initial overreach and multiplied exponentially by the state legislature's misguided follow up.

Like I said in both cases the passing of laws was simply the wrong path to follow.

As far as hate and bigotry, at least in my case, I'm referring to both sides of this discussion which often devolves into loud intolerance of other's genuinely heartfelt beliefs and views. There's so much noise we can't hear what the other person says.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
No way Congress throws the election to Trump in that case. And there's no obligation to do so.

No, but who do you think they would choose? In the House, the vote is by law between the top three candidates in the general election, and the vote is by state delegation. So all the North Carolina Representatives would get together and vote and the candidate with the most votes among our Representatives would get our one vote. Would the Republicans really vote for Johnson or Clinton? Another neat wrinkle is that the Representatives are the "newly elected", not the previous congress.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
All who think a third party candidate is the magical elixir, keep in mind up in Canada there are 3 major parties and a 4th, the Green Party, has made major inroads in the last decade (mostly because of hippies and idiots, which Canada apparently has a lot of). That's not even counting the separatist Bloc Québécois, whose support deviates massively from election to election (the French aren't real stable).

All that to say, Canada gets leaders that typically get between 30-40% of the popular vote. So, on the flip side, 60-70% of people are disillusioned/angry/whatever throughout a typical government's reign. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Just a thought.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
All who think a third party candidate is the magical elixir, keep in mind up in Canada there are 3 major parties and a 4th, the Green Party, has made major inroads in the last decade (mostly because of hippies and idiots, which Canada apparently has a lot of). That's not even counting the separatist Bloc Québécois, whose support deviates massively from election to election (the French aren't real stable).

All that to say, Canada gets leaders that typically get between 30-40% of the popular vote. So, on the flip side, 60-70% of people are disillusioned/angry/whatever throughout a typical government's reign. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Just a thought.

That's the PM and other ministers though, and it's the Parliament election? Those are normal numbers, even good ones for a de facto head of state PM.

In the presidential elections around the world I believe it usually goes so that if no candidate secures 50+ % of votes/electors in the first round, there will be a second round between the top two of the first round. US of course has a very powerful Prez and they have their checks and balances, but it's kind of nasty that the populus gets to try it only once before the HoR steps in to show how it's done.

It's hard to defend the approach from now on by that it keeps the populists out from the contest.:laugh:

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If it's top 3 candidates? They'd vote for Johnson as a "**** you" to both Clinton and Trump.

What a lovely sight it would be if they all had Johnsons. Johnsons as far as the eye can see.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
does it have lots of pokestops tho??!

Everyone probably remember the 1993 action film Demolition Man where Sandra Bullock asks Sly Stallone to have sex with her and then pulls out a weird virtual reality machine... in 1993 a "poke-stop" would have been understood to mean a completely different thing.

2032 came yearly this year. I'm afraid to watch the movie ever again, lest I realize it be a dystopic horror film come inro reality. And even they were afraid to go to the depth of having a President Trump Library.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Everyone probably remember the 1993 action film Demolition Man where Sandra Bullock asks Sly Stallone to have sex with her and then pulls out a weird virtual reality machine... in 1993 a "poke-stop" would have been understood to mean a completely different thing.

2032 came yearly this year. I'm afraid to watch the movie ever again, lest I realize it be a dystopic horror film come inro reality. And even they were afraid to go to the depth of having a President Trump Library.

but do you know how to use the three sea shells?

also fun fact from that movie:

it was originally supposed to star jean claude van damme and steven segal, but they both refused to play the bad guy, so the director cut both of them and got stallone and snipes instead

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Speaking of 1993, AT&T somewhat predicted the future. I don't think anyone is going to be touching their baby from a phone booth though :laugh:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
but do you know how to use the three sea shells?

also fun fact from that movie:

it was originally supposed to star jean claude van damme and steven segal, but they both refused to play the bad guy, so the director cut both of them and got stallone and snipes instead

Denis Leary was the best character in the movie.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Exactly. There is so much antipathy toward Trump and down right disgust with Clinton in the House. We'd be waking up to another President Johnson.

Quite hillarious if that should happen, considering how the US has been bound to have the first no-johnson president this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad