OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXIV: Tarheel got tired of seeing a gross word in the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I just think that the broader issues of the whole HB2/bathroom thing aren't going to end well. Too many emotions on both sides, too many injured psyches, too many delicate flowers, and too many callous bigots.

This is red meat for both sides of the political spectrum.

It'll end as these things always do -- with old people dying and young people in 20 years wondering what the big deal was.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It'll end as these things always do -- with old people dying and young people in 20 years wondering what the big deal was.

Perhaps, and that is as it should be, but the anger, close-mindedness, and universal gnashing of teeth seems to be such a waste of energy.

In my mind: #shouldabeenaconversationnotalaw

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just saw Jarome Iginla at my hotel in Jasper

Wanted to get his picture with me but decided not to ask because he was with his family

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Solid Halloween costume idea. Put on a cheap track suit, that you won't mind messing up. Cover yourself from head to tow in some form of mild adhesive. Next, cover yourself in all manner of broken glass, nails, needles, thumb-tacks, etc.

Go as a Pokee-Man

You are welcome ;)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
13718649_10207009092881999_5230416337399074455_n.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I cannot do it, I cannot take another God Damned second of this presidential election. It gets worse every time it comes around, but this one just sinks to a new level of low.

Is this really the best we can do? You're telling me of the 300+ million people that live in this country, these two are who we get to vote for to lead us for the next 4 years?

This is a joke right? God help us.

That is all.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Playing Alien: Isolation on an Oculus Rift = My heart beat more times in the past hour and a half than it probably did all of June, and I am pretty sure I lost about 8 pounds of water weight through sweat.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience though haha. Would highly recommend.

Like 20 mins later and I am literally still shaking though :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I cannot do it, I cannot take another God Damned second of this presidential election. It gets worse every time it comes around, but this one just sinks to a new level of low.

Is this really the best we can do? You're telling me of the 300+ million people that live in this country, these two are who we get to vote for to lead us for the next 4 years?

This is a joke right? God help us.

That is all.

I wish not to presume to meddle with your domestic affairs, but technically they're the best the two big parties can do. I understand there be other candidates.

Though in practice it may well be a serious Prisoner's Dilemma to go vote for a third party candidate when the other guys are probably going to still vote for theirs.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wish not to presume to meddle with your domestic affairs, but technically they're the best the two big parties can do. I understand there be other candidates.

Though in practice it may well be a serious Prisoner's Dilemma to go vote for a third party candidate when the other guys are probably going to still vote for theirs.

A truly viable third party candidate probably can't exist in our presidential politics due to the electoral college. If one did run a successful campaign and got enough votes to lead the results, it would be unlikely that any of the candidates would get the required 270 delegates to win, thus the House of Representatives would decide the winner which would hand the presidency to the majority party there. In this case, that would mean the Republicans. Thus, Trump.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Too much money and power behind binary parties. Recent hacktovist have unleashed 1000s of emails proving how 1 party has tanked efforts by an "outsider" getting the nomination, If the other party was hacked, I bet there was consorted efforts to tank their outsider nominee.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Personally, I'm a "use the bathroom you're most comfortable with" guy. If a parent is concerned, then accompany. If you're a perv then be prepared to get your ass kicked.

Under the Charlotte ordinance (overridden by HB2), a man could use a multiple occupancy female bathroom or changing facility under the protection that he identifies as a female. If you kicked his ass because he wants to use the locker room when your wife and daughter are in there, you'd be charged with assault and a hate crime.

A little late on the reply, but the answer to the penalty thing is that there are ZERO enforcement provisions in the bill for someone who continues to use the "wrong" bathroom. Thus, in terms of the bathroom part of the bill, the lawmakers put up a bill that does nothing except make their supporters cheer, their detractor jeer, and accomplishes nothing for "safety" but harms the economy. Basically, it was a front to get the other parts passed without much discussion of their merits. Those other portions were the real problems: roll backs of local anti-discrimination reforms, minimum wages, etc.

While there is no active enforcement of the law, if a male enters a female facility, police can be called and the man can be charged with trespassing. This actually was the case even before HB2.

I just think that the broader issues of the whole HB2/bathroom thing aren't going to end well. Too many emotions on both sides, too many injured psyches, too many delicate flowers, and too many callous bigots

I see the terms "hateful" and "bigoted" used a lot to describe supporters of the bathroom portion of HB2. However, go look at what people on both sides of the debate say and write about the other...which side is the most hateful and intolerant of the other?

I think the only way this is a non-issue in 20 years is if all new building are designed for single occupancy bathrooms/showers/changing facilities. Existing buildings that were built for single sex multiple occupancy should continue to be used that way and phased out over time.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Under the Charlotte ordinance (overridden by HB2), a man could use a multiple occupancy female bathroom or changing facility under the protection that he identifies as a female. If you kicked his ass because he wants to use the locker room when your wife and daughter are in there, you'd be charged with assault and a hate crime.

While there is no active enforcement of the law, if a male enters a female facility, police can be called and the man can be charged with trespassing. This actually was the case even before HB2.

I see the terms "hateful" and "bigoted" used a lot to describe supporters of the bathroom portion of HB2. However, go look at what people on both sides of the debate say and write about the other...which side is the most hateful and intolerant of the other?

I think the only way this is a non-issue in 20 years is if all new building are designed for single occupancy bathrooms/showers/changing facilities. Existing buildings that were built for single sex multiple occupancy should continue to be used that way and phased out over time.

No one will care because it's a non issue to people who actually know transgender people. Kids generally have tg friends. Adults generally do not.

There are already laws prohibiting the behavior that hb2 exists to address. This law added zero actual protections for anyone. Period.

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
A truly viable third party candidate probably can't exist in our presidential politics due to the electoral college. If one did run a successful campaign and got enough votes to lead the results, it would be unlikely that any of the candidates would get the required 270 delegates to win, thus the House of Representatives would decide the winner which would hand the presidency to the majority party there. In this case, that would mean the Republicans. Thus, Trump.

That's so depressing. This seems like the most logical place to turn when the people are fed up with the system we have now, a third party. The way I saw it put during the primaries this year (paraphrasing Dan Carlin who paraphrased Greenwald) was that "Trump and Sanders are the wrong solutions to very real systemic problems." There may be a contingent that agree with either's ideology but a lot of people just want to give a middle finger to the establishment at this point.

Electoral College needs to change for sure though. Although I have faith that the outcry would be enormous, if the event described just happened.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What is up with that stupid governor of yours though? Quoted as saying "this is a bunch of P.C. B.S." over the NBA taking the All-Star game away.

Really? Regardless of your political stance on this subject, that's embarrassing. Wow, way to make an eloquent argument, Mr. Governor, you just came off sounding like my rednecky next door neighbor.

How come is it every time I hear somebody complain about "P.C." the likelihood that they are about to say something stupid and backwards shoots up to about 98%.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00