OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXI: Cinco de Mayo edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Also posted to NFL Draft thread -

OMG CI - Dante Fowler tore his ACL today and will miss the entire season. I mean....that's so messed up.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Anyone remember this commercial? I was about 10 years old when it was released, and I still remember it haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUfKH1gWcsA

One of my favorite commercials lol. Not sure if anyone noticed, and not going to lie, I thought the marketing department was awful this year. Anything from the in game presentations, the social media posts, and to the TV commercials were just awful and bland....

Watching some of the stuff the Charlotte Checkers crew put together this year on most likely a much smaller budget blew away what the Canes did this year....

I do remember that commercial. IIRC it was a spoof of a Nike basketball commercial that was popular at the time.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Sometimes I don't know if it's good I'm left out of the loop or not.

Called my mom for Mother's Day, talking, and mentions in passing that she had a stroke this past week. Supposed to go for another test tomorrow.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The suspension was hilarious, but the overreaction to the suspension from Patriot fans is what makes this the greatest suspension in NFL history.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Excessive if applied with a modicum of consistency.

But it's the NFL, and it seems like they overdo it now to satiate the masses.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Chris Criste spent over $82,000 on concessions at NY football games. As a voting American, I think I should be ashamed and outraged, but I have to admit, that that is pretty impressive even for a guy of his....

...stature.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Brady getting suspended for 4 games is a total joke. Patriots fans reactions are priceless though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This whole deflategate is ridiculous IMO. I'm not a Patriots fan at all, but I bet if you measured the footballs at most games, you'd find the readings all over the place. Didn't Indianapolis also have 4 balls that were under-inflated that game also? (I heard that, but don't have confirmation)

As a Packers fan, I know Aaron Rodgers has said he likes the balls more inflated and I bet if they measured, they'd find times, especially in warmer weather, where they are probably over the limit.

Much to do about nothing if you ask me and a 4 game suspension, without (from my understanding) any real, hard evidence is over the top.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The 4 game suspension was less about deflating the football and more about (allegedly) lying to the NFL and refusing to cooperate with the investigation. If Brady had simply admitted that the balls were lower than the required amount in the first place, he probably would have gotten away with a fine.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The 4 game suspension was less about deflating the football and more about (allegedly) lying to the NFL and refusing to cooperate with the investigation. If Brady had simply admitted that the balls were lower than the required amount in the first place, he probably would have gotten away with a fine.

A big reason for the Hardy suspension is because he didn't cooperate with the NFL either. So basically, they really want people to incriminate themselves.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Pretty much. Brady only hurt himself by not turning over his phone and the Patriots only hurt themselves by withholding the McNally dude from questioning.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I HIGHLY doubt he would have gotten away with just a fine if he said that, the NFL is about image and would have taken him to task as much, if not more. Even so, if what you say is why he got suspended, that's even worse. There's no evidence (as far as I know) that shows Brady said "deflate the footballs lower than spec" anywhere in the investigation. The evidence was "he texted the equipment manager a bunch of times after it came to light", etc.. and "Tom liked to have footballs with less deflation".

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but suspending a guy 4 games without hard evidence is ridiculous. I really don't care as I'm not a Patriots fan, just an impartial observer but this is just over the top and appeasing a larger fan base IMO.

To me, this is much ado about nothing. This isn't like Lance Armstrong gaining a huge competitive advantage by doping. To me, this is akin to George Brett's Pine Tar incident (look it up for the youngins). Yes, a rule was broken, but basically irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If he admitted it at the time, the choice for the NFL would have been to either fine him or suspend him for the Superbowl. And there's no way they would have suspended him for the Superbowl.

There's no "smoking gun" that Brady told them to deflate the footballs lower than the required amount. However, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence that points to that conclusion. You've got the texts from the two employees, one of whom refers to himself as "the Deflator", that seem to indicate that Brady knows what's going on, if not involved himself. That makes sense. He'd have to know what's going on. He's the QB. He's the one handling the football the most. He'd know if the balls weren't up to specs if it were done without his knowledge.

In addition to the texts from the employees, you've got Brady refusing to hand over his cellphone and emails, when EVERY other person in the Patriots organization agreed to do so. Doesn't mean he's involved, but it's certainly enough to raise suspicion. There's no smoking gun, but there's enough evidence to say that it's "more probable than not" that Brady (at the very least) knew what was going on.

In addition, the investigation also found that it was "more probable than not" that this wasn't a one time event. Yeah, using deflated footballs for half a game in a 45-7 blowout isn't a big deal. But if I read yesterday's N&O correctly, the NFL believes this might have been going on since the beginning of the 2014 season. If that's the case, then the suspension + fine + loss of draft picks is appropriate.

It probably also doesn't help that the Patriots have the "repeat offender" status attached to them, after Spygate. Not sure why the Patriots feel the need to bend the rules to win, considering they're likely good enough without doing so, but if they continue to do so (allegedly), then they can't really complain about the punishments when they get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad