Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Taxes are filed. Luckily didn’t owe as much as last year, but man, it’d be nice to get a refund every once in a while.

Reactions: Bub and DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Taxes are filed. Luckily didn’t owe as much as last year, but man, it’d be nice to get a refund every once in a while.
Just have your payroll folks to increase your withholding.

Psychologically, it's fun to get 'extra' money, but getting a refund just means your paychecks were smaller than they should have been.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just have your payroll folks to increase your withholding.

Psychologically, it's fun to get 'extra' money, but getting a refund just means your paychecks were smaller than they should have been.

Well, I'm not getting a refund because the income I make from pet sitting doesn't get taxed initially, as I'm considered a contractor. And I keep hoping that the money I make from my hockey job (which is taxed) will eventually be enough to offset that pet sitting and I get a refund, but no luck thus far.

Though I only owed a couple hundred this time around as opposed to the couple thousand I did last year, so baby steps, I guess?

Bally almost going bankrupt really screwed me though. Company didn't want to offer any new full time positions with that up in the air (which, fair enough), so all I got was a small raise, but remained hourly.

Which isn't so bad normally, but then you've got weeks like this All-star break where it's a noticable loss of income.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Well, I'm not getting a refund because the income I make from pet sitting doesn't get taxed initially, as I'm considered a contractor. And I keep hoping that the money I make from my hockey job (which is taxed) will eventually be enough to offset that pet sitting and I get a refund, but no luck thus far.

Though I only owed a couple hundred this time around as opposed to the couple thousand I did last year, so baby steps, I guess?

Bally almost going bankrupt really screwed me though. Company didn't want to offer any new full time positions with that up in the air (which, fair enough), so all I got was a small raise, but remained hourly.

Which isn't so bad normally, but then you've got weeks like this All-star break where it's a noticable loss of income.
Fair point, fluctuating income and contractor status will make taxes a pain. Hopefully you and all the other broadcast folks will be on the Bezos bucks soon.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Jets fan here coming in peace. This photo came up in my memories - from a Jets vs Canes game. It's been exactly 10 years since this very important event happened:
Screenshot_20240204-090830-941.png

So I used AI to make a commemorative patch:

addtext_com_MTAyMjE5MjEyNDM.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Getting a refund means you've lent the government money for a year, interest free. Paying taxes at tax time means the government lent you money interest free for a year. Best outcome is to neither owe or receive a refund at tax time. 2nd best is to only have to pay a few hundred bucks.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Getting a refund means you've lent the government money for a year, interest free. Paying taxes at tax time means the government lent you money interest free for a year. Best outcome is to neither owe or receive a refund at tax time. 2nd best is to only have to pay a few hundred bucks.
Well kinda. Taxes aren't due until April of the following year so if you owe its not because the government loaded you money its because they haven't collected yet.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Tayor Swift just won the Emmy for Album of the Year. Goddammit, not only do those Psy Ops people control the NFL, they control the Emmys, too! :arr:
Cue to a collage with every artist ever posing with one eye covered.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Womder why people keep voting for taxes when they dislike them so much.

I live in a very conservative area. Not nearly as conservative as where I grew up (which was a dem held area until the 80s actually) but still a solidly red county. 4 years ago we voted to levy a local sales tax on ourselves (I voted against it). This past year they asked for a real estate increase (after getting like an average 30% windfall from inflation of real estate value) and we beat it, but like 42% of people voted for it.

Even so called conservatives vote to tax themselves then shake their fist at said tax.

Income taxation is a scam. Property taxation is downright unconstitutional (you have a right to own property, and taxation of a right I'd unconstitutional).

A flat consumption based tax that exempts food and shelter is the way forward. At the point of sale. No more illegals skipping out on tax, no more escalades in the section 8 housing. No more child income credits.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Womder why people keep voting for taxes when they dislike them so much.

I live in a very conservative area. Not nearly as conservative as where I grew up (which was a dem held area until the 80s actually) but still a solidly red county. 4 years ago we voted to levy a local sales tax on ourselves (I voted against it). This past year they asked for a real estate increase (after getting like an average 30% windfall from inflation of real estate value) and we beat it, but like 42% of people voted for it.

Even so called conservatives vote to tax themselves then shake their fist at said tax.
This is only half the story. What were proceeds of said tax increase earmarked for? Therein lies the answer to why 42% of people voted for it.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This is only half the story. What were proceeds of said tax increase earmarked for? Therein lies the answer to why 42% of people voted for it.
Of course what it's earmarked for is also probably only 10% of what it's being used for with all the other bullshit that gets thrown into those kinds of things...and once they have the money, who's going to stop them from misusing it?

Of course it's also like when I was going to NC State, in 2009 they asked the students if they wanted a 5% tuition increase to go towards renovating the Atrium (that wouldn't even be completed until after all active students would likely have graduated). Of course this was amid the huge financial crisis so understandably the student body overwhelmingly voted "NO" (like 95%) because we were struggling with money and student loans already. School Board then basically said "the students don't know what they want, we're doing it!"

Still blows my mind that you get taxed on all your money, then you get taxed for spending your money, then you get taxed for owning those things that you bought with that money (and that's not even counting insurance that you are REQUIRED to have)...like how the f*** is that acceptable? And heaven forbid you get a bonus at work instead of a pay raise, that's getting the normal tax + 25%, so you maybe get 50% of in the end. But nobody in power will ever change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Borsig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad