OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
The only thing I know about my neighbors is the one across from me has a very yappy dog that loses its shit every time I leave the house and the one above me is definitely cheating on her boyfriend/husband and is doing a terrible job of convincing him otherwise.
the old lady next door, late 70s-ish, did stop me outside to vent about her problems one time. I liked it better when I didn’t know she’s flat broke, goes to a church that performs exorcisms, her adult son who lives with her is a paranoid schizophrenic who won’t let her cut down or trim any trees in her yard because they protect him (whoever buys it in the future will have to drop a solid 50k just on tree and brush removal), and the son also won’t let her get rid of the totaled car parked in the front yard that he wrecked 15 years ago. At least it’s under a cover when it isn’t windy

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
the old lady next door, late 70s-ish, did stop me outside to vent about her problems one time. I liked it better when I didn’t know she’s flat broke, goes to a church that performs exorcisms, her adult son who lives with her is a paranoid schizophrenic who won’t let her cut down or trim any trees in her yard because they protect him (whoever buys it in the future will have to drop a solid 50k just on tree and brush removal), and the son also won’t let her get rid of the totaled car parked in the front yard that he wrecked 15 years ago. At least it’s under a cover when it isn’t windy
....and here I thought I stopped watching soap operas.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Damn it, I got a summons for jury duty in February. My juror number is 419, so hopefully I won't even have to go in.
Go serve. You're privileged to have a juridical system where the adequecy of the prosecutor's given evidence or the lack of it is determined by the peers of the defendant, and not living in some Eastern European shithole country where corrupt judges can blatantly disregard any evidence against the charges and find people guilty beyond reasonable doubt if the prosecutor just bothers to show up at the trial.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Go serve. You're privileged to have a juridical system where the adequecy of the prosecutor's given evidence or the lack of it is determined by the peers of the defendant, and not living in some Eastern European shithole country where corrupt judges can blatantly disregard any evidence against the charges and find people guilty beyond reasonable doubt if the prosecutor just bothers to show up at the trial.
about that........

I mean the american justice system is complete garbage. Its a production line of corruption, political targeting and legislation from the bench. We pass laws that ever increase infringements until a court somewhere stops the politicians. Then they find a loophole around the ruling and start all over again (Example, the end of "may issue" by the SCOTUS, NY's ?MD/ NJ etc response to that and states like Tx trying to ban things like the morning after pill (Schrodinger's fetus?)

On an individual level it's still skewed 100% toward the state (by state I mean the fed, local, state whatever) heavily. Not too long ago I got a ticket for "failing to signal when changing lanes". I *DID* signal. The idiot to my left was distracted and damn near hit me. I was pulled over by a cop that saw it happen. Here's the kick. From his angle, he could not POSSIBLY have seen my turn signal. It was physically impossible from his vantage point. I told him this, he called me a liar, and ticketed me. I went to the area where he sat, took photos, etc. Come court day I presented it all. Cop then admits in court he ASSUMED I didn't signal, when presented with the evidence. ASSUMED. I was found not guilty. But wait, I still owe 75.00 for court costs for defending myself from your shitty, assuming, useless cop. JuSTicE!

So yeah, for a jury thing, go. I mean I'd love to be a wrench in a railroad jury some where. You know, like one that's politically motivated? Ever wonder why civil trails are picked in the worst possible venue for the defendant? I don't.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

This is literally the first headline that greeted me this AM. This is how the justice system works here.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Man, you're just trying to make me look bad now.

Fine. Go do your duty.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

This is literally the first headline that greeted me this AM. This is how the justice system works here.

Isn't it also an example of a system of checks and balances at work? Same with your bogus ticket, though it does suck that you still had to pay court fees after being ruled innocent.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Isn't it also an example of a system of checks and balances at work? Same with your bogus ticket, though it does suck that you had to pay court fees after being ruled innocent.
Justice delayed is justice denied. Sometimes the courts and court proceedings afterwards are just an excuse to give pretense of the rule of law.

I have a friend who was a suspect and requested the police and one other official department certain documents which were meaningful to her defense. Her requests were denied so she had to initiate a freedom of information procedure in the administrative court. The court found the police and the other department at fault after two years' proceedings... one month after she was found guilty. The court decreed that the police had not even attempted to give a lawful reason to deny my friend, a party to the matter, her requested materials. The police had just intentionally stalled giving the materials with a bullshit decision based on irrelevant-to-the-matter-at-hand legal statutes on the publicity to the general public, in full knowledge that no one is ever going to investigate themselves about it. Then they just handed her the materials after it was too late for her defense. Our f***wits just like the FBI know full well they are in intentional breach of law and these court rulings made long after the fact are meaningless theater.

That same high-ranking police woman who signed that bullshit decision has since then moved to be the assistant director of the Finnish Security and Intelligence Service, and recently she made another freedom of intelligence decision denying a Finnish newspaper from getting the so-called Tiitinen list, which is THE classified document of the Finnish Cold Ware lore consisting of the names of 18 persons who are suspected to have been in contact with the East German security service Stasi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad