OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Of you pay attention your life is still in your hands. A lot of bike accidents occur because the rider is not really paying much attention to the others on the road. Even on a large heavy crusier like my Indian I have much more power to weight then cars or trucks. If I'm paying attention to whats on the road I have a very good chance to get myself out of danger as long as I see it early enough
I mean I get your point but there are plenty of accidents where the best and most aware motorcycle rider in the world would still get killed. I’ve got a street bike too and ride it occasionally but I’ve known several great riders who have been hit and never seen it coming by dumbass drivers either drunk, on their phones or just flat out stupid and unaware themselves. You can do everything right and still wind up dead. This is also true in a car of course but you are much more likely to survive a car.

I’m a risk taker, I fly small airplanes, ride motorcycles, snowboard back bowls out west, go ice climbing, etc. but I do try to keep the risks as much in my control as possible. Hence my not riding street bikes very often. But I totally get those who do ride and take those risks if you love it, everyone has difference risk tolerances…

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Crash Davis is getting in the hall of fame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Aaaand it was ISIS. Warms my heart.

Two of the worst entities in the world going against each other.

Looked at Twitter for 5 seconds. Hinkle/Hamaswanker side of it already blames USA or Israel.

Apparently they are unhappy with the UN reaction. They said sorrow is insufficient that it should be shock, righteous anger compassion and what not.

I feel nothing. Your people have cheered the exact same attacks for two years straight. Never cares until they got hit.

Last edited:

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018

Looked at Twitter for 5 seconds. Hinkle/Hamaswanker side of it already blames USA or Israel.

Apparently they are unhappy with the UN reaction. They said sorrow is insufficient that it should be shock, righteous anger compassion and what not.

I feel nothing. Your people have cheered the exact same attacks for two years straight. Never cares until they got hit.
Time to visit one of the classic Czech arms companies…

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Putin: USA warnings are a provocation. They attempt to create discourse among Russian people.

ISIS: It was us!

Russia: Liars

Americans: We told you it would happen

Russia: You haven’t said enough

Americans: We were actually quite specific

ISIS: But seriously, we did it ( ISIS showing photos of the culprits, who carried out the the attack)

Russia: No it was Ukraine

Witnesses: They didn’t look like Ukrainians, according to their appeareance they seemed like Central Asia or Caucasus natives.

Putin: But they fled for Ukraine

This timeline is ill. And the illness spreads from Kremlin.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It maybe escaped attention, but during that time between the 'elections' and the theater attack, Kremlin for the first time called what is happening in Ukraine "a war". We are told it's the western involvement which has now caused the change in terminology.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Of the nearly 150 who died I highly doubt even half have “cheered” the war. Senseless killing of innocent concert-goers. Putin and his regime are terrible, doesn’t mean Russian citizens are too

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I’m basing the risk on the fact that the independent witness stated the car backing up was “halfway out of their spot.” If the witness repeats that to my insurance company, I would be found partially at a fault and my rates would go up. Since I had no reason to believe that wouldn’t be the case, it was a risk I couldnt take.

I’d have loved for my insurance company to defend me, but when I approached them about it, they told me they couldn’t do anything unless I opened up a claim. And when I asked if opening up this claim would affect my rates, they said they couldn’t guarantee that it wouldn’t.

So no, I don’t trust my insurance company to defend me, but only because I don’t trust insurance companies in general. You put money into keeping insurance every month, but the minute you might need to utilize the insurance you pay for, they do everything possible to prevent paying you. And even when they pay you, they make sure to get it back.

Like I said, my last accident was about 3 years ago. 100% my fault, late at night, I was unfamiliar with the area, misjudged a T-intersection for a 4-way one and drove straight through into the woods. Totaled my car, insurance gave me 10k to purchase a new one. In those 3 years since then, I’ve paid over 9k total for car insurance. So it’s like they didn’t pay me any money at all.

I’m not doing lawyers or court for the same reason I didn’t contact my insurance company. As long as that witness is there, I don’t have much of a leg to stand on.

It's the "halfway out of their spot" part where our risk assessment differs. If you had hit her I could see that statement as potentially carrying some risk; she was backing out, you should have seen her, and you contributed to the accident by not stopping in time. But you didn't drive into her, she backed into the side of your car (as verified by the witness). I just can't wrap my head around the fact that she got a half car length out or her spot before she hit you as translating into any rational indication of negligence/contribution on your part. Especially with that argument originating from her insurance agent, who had significant motive to get you to not pursue a claim. But hey, I could be wrong; I wish we had someone with a background in insurance on here who could provide a more informed opinion.

Again, my opinion doesn't matter; if you believe a "half way out of her spot" argument means you would almost certainly be found as contributing to the accident, you made the right move for you.

And I apologize if I've come across as arguing with you; I'm sure the last thing you need is any more stress attached to the situation. My posts have been driven mostly by a strong feeling of injustice, as well as a little bit around my take on what I see as the flawed logic of their argument as to why they say you contributed to the accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How can we know in the modern world that a claim of fake news is not itself fake news? Not pointing at any specific businessman/politician, but... I mean, if I was the owner of Ford Field I might be tempted to tweet that any reports of half-eaten dead bodies are fake news and/or satire while the members of the maintenance crew are shaking in their seats in my office visibly shocked that it's getting out of control and difficult to hide anymore and that they had to completely seal the employee dressing rooms on floor -2 yesterday from being used.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I mean I get your point but there are plenty of accidents where the best and most aware motorcycle rider in the world would still get killed. I’ve got a street bike too and ride it occasionally but I’ve known several great riders who have been hit and never seen it coming by dumbass drivers either drunk, on their phones or just flat out stupid and unaware themselves. You can do everything right and still wind up dead. This is also true in a car of course but you are much more likely to survive a car.

I’m a risk taker, I fly small airplanes, ride motorcycles, snowboard back bowls out west, go ice climbing, etc. but I do try to keep the risks as much in my control as possible. Hence my not riding street bikes very often. But I totally get those who do ride and take those risks if you love it, everyone has difference risk tolerances…
I’ve played hockey all my life, I’m a pretty big skier and have put myself in plenty of crazy situations. I backcountry ski which is inherently risky even if you don’t do the overboard stuff. I’ve had enough concussions to be generally concerned about my future.

At the same time I’ve been a paramedic for 16 years and I will not get on a street motorcycle. Never. I thought they were pretty sweet before my career and assumed eventually I’d try it out. Once I started in EMS? Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope. I could probably still be talked into a dirt bike, but even that is unlikely at this point. You only need to see the outcome once to feel this way, and I’ve seen it more times than I care to recall.

While plenty of them were stupid choices by the rider more than enough of them were completely innocent and horrifying enough to just never want to be near a bike. It often has nothing to do with your skill or ability to ride a bike, or your reflexes and ability to read the traffic. Too much is completely out of your control. Accidents are mostly nothing burgers inside a vehicle. Outside the vehicle you’re a human shot out of a cannon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad