OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, 3 weeks and $5k later, I got my car issue settled. Everything’s fixed (about a week earlier than expected) and my insurance has no new incidents on it, so my rate didn’t go up. Now I just got to avoid crazy stupid drivers for 6 more months and I’ll hopefully get my rates back to somewhat normalcy.

Of course, considered the receptionist and myself both saw a person driving the wrong direction down a 1-way street as I was picking up my car, that might be too much to ask for.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Well, 3 weeks and $5k later, I got my car issue settled. Everything’s fixed (about a week earlier than expected) and my insurance has no new incidents on it, so my rate didn’t go up. Now I just got to avoid crazy stupid drivers for 6 more months and I’ll hopefully get my rates back to somewhat normalcy.

Of course, considered the receptionist and myself both saw a person driving the wrong direction down a 1-way street as I was picking up my car, that might be too much to ask for.
How long will it take to recoup the $5k if your rates drop down like you're expecting them to?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How long will it take to recoup the $5k if your rates drop down like you're expecting them to?

Well, my next car insurance payment is in April, which isn’t 3 years after my previous accident, so I don’t expect my rates to drop significantly there. I think I’m paying $20 less for this upcoming six months compared to the previous six months.

But October would be 3 years after my last accident, and that’s all you need for a “clean driving record” in NC, so I’m hoping my car insurance payment at that point would be much less. I couldn’t tell you how much less, but even cutting it by half (which still wouldn’t be what it was before the accident) would be a big help.

I’m still pretty sure I did the right thing not getting insurance involved in this situation. The risk was too high, and while 5k hurts, if I had reported it to my insurance and they deemed me even partially at fault, I would have had to pay much more than 5k in increased rates over the next few years.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
As spot on as Shelley Duvall was as Olive Oyl--she was equally miscast as Wendy Torrence...
I haven't read the book but I love that movie and think she was phenomenal in it. Sometimes a film doesn't have to be perfectly true to a book and can stand on its own to some degree...

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Well, my next car insurance payment is in April, which isn’t 3 years after my previous accident, so I don’t expect my rates to drop significantly there. I think I’m paying $20 less for this upcoming six months compared to the previous six months.

But October would be 3 years after my last accident, and that’s all you need for a “clean driving record” in NC, so I’m hoping my car insurance payment at that point would be much less. I couldn’t tell you how much less, but even cutting it by half (which still wouldn’t be what it was before the accident) would be a big help.

I’m still pretty sure I did the right thing not getting insurance involved in this situation. The risk was too high, and while 5k hurts, if I had reported it to my insurance and they deemed me even partially at fault, I would have had to pay much more than 5k in increased rates over the next few years.
I have some news for you, your not gonna like it. Car insurance rates are going up every where. Luckily for NC has some of the lowest increase percentages in the nation at something like 5%. Some states have seen increases as much as 40%. The "justified" reasoning being car cost, parts, and mechanic labor rates have increased also.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I have some news for you, your not gonna like it. Car insurance rates are going up every where. Luckily for NC has some of the lowest increase percentages in the nation at something like 5%. Some states have seen increases as much as 40%. The "justified" reasoning being car cost, parts, and mechanic labor rates have increased also.

I've been paying $250 a month since the accident 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure there's some wiggle room for it to decrease. And if they don't drop it enough, no biggie. I'll just hunt for a better price at that time.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I've been paying $250 a month since the accident 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure there's some wiggle room for it to decrease. And if they don't drop it enough, no biggie. I'll just hunt for a better price at that time.
Thats always a good idea. Insurance companies seem to be on the same "raise your rates until you threaten to leave plan" that Comcast, Spectrum, DTV, and others are. I just switched my motorcycle insurance from AIC to Progressive. I was in the $300 a year range and they raised it to almost $500 this past year. I canceled and Progressive is doing it for $175.00 a year I have the same deductible and the coverages are higher.

Also if you are over 30 ish and want cheep insurance a motorcycle is the way to go. I have a 2015 Indian Chieftain the KBB retail value is almost $15,000 and I pay less then $200/year with a $250 deductible and full coverage a little above the state required minimums.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Insurance companies seem to be on the same "raise your rates until you threaten to leave plan"
My own insurance company has adopted the cunning strategy of accepting my claims whenever I present them. All bona fide claims obviously and generally not expensive ones, but them giving me solid service in need is a pretty damn big hindrance for going asking better prices elsewhere.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
My own insurance company has adopted the cunning strategy of accepting my claims whenever I present them. All bona fide claims obviously and generally not expensive ones, but them giving me solid service in need is a pretty damn big hindrance for going asking better prices elsewhere.
Mine as well, but our claims were expensive . In two natural disasters, a couple of burst pipes and other things over the years they have been there for us like hero’s. I don’t even shop them anymore.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
As spot on as Shelley Duvall was as Olive Oyl--she was equally miscast as Wendy Torrence...

I can't think of any other role that ruined a movie for me as much as that one did. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't read the book first, but Duvall ruined any chance of me enjoying that movie. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who hated that portrayal.

edit: I didn't see Ahosdatsyukian's comment above when I posted this, lol. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Thats always a good idea. Insurance companies seem to be on the same "raise your rates until you threaten to leave plan" that Comcast, Spectrum, DTV, and others are. I just switched my motorcycle insurance from AIC to Progressive. I was in the $300 a year range and they raised it to almost $500 this past year. I canceled and Progressive is doing it for $175.00 a year I have the same deductible and the coverages are higher.

Also if you are over 30 ish and want cheep insurance a motorcycle is the way to go. I have a 2015 Indian Chieftain the KBB retail value is almost $15,000 and I pay less then $200/year with a $250 deductible and full coverage a little above the state required minimums.
I’ve always wanted a motorcycle but man distracted driving is a real problem. Just can’t trust the other drivers on the roads these days.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
20180804_110217.jpg

That's the day I picked up War (as in war horse) from the dealers delivery guy. Met him outside of Atlanta a rode home to Va.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
BTW that was my 3rd bike as an adult. I bought a Yamaha Vstar 650 classic for $2,800. A good friend that rode told me "dont buy the bike you want as a first bike, buy a bike you can sell for what you paid for it". The point was until you get out on the rode on a motorcycle with nothing between you and 3000 pounds of metal moving 60 plus miles an hour, you don't know if you will love it. If you don't you can sell that first bike and not lose your ass.

20130921_130453.jpg
here's my first 2. The black one on the back is the Vstar sold it for 50 bucks less then I paid for it. The white one was its replacement a 2005 Yamaha Road star 1700. Also a great bike. Traded an 02 Dakota for and sold it in 2018 for $4,500 to buy the Indian.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I’ve always wanted a motorcycle but man distracted driving is a real problem. Just can’t trust the other drivers on the roads these days.
That’s why I ride off road motorcycles. Still risky/dangerous but your fate is in your own hands not other idiots on the road’s.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
That’s why I ride off road motorcycles. Still risky/dangerous but your fate is in your own hands not other idiots on the road’s.
Of you pay attention your life is still in your hands. A lot of bike accidents occur because the rider is not really paying much attention to the others on the road. Even on a large heavy crusier like my Indian I have much more power to weight then cars or trucks. If I'm paying attention to whats on the road I have a very good chance to get myself out of danger as long as I see it early enough

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Let me start by noting that your calculus is the only one that really counts.

Having said that, looking at it from a "game theory" perspective, I've got to question the notion that your best move was to eat the cost of the accident.

First off, you say the risk was too high that your insurance company would find you partially at fault. How big is that risk actually? You were driving through the lot, absolutely had the right of way, someone backed into you from a parking spot, hit you in the side (not backed in front of you and you hit them), and you've got an independent witness to that fact. What are you basing the risk that your company would find you partially at fault on? The fact that the other company said so? Of course they'd say that; even if they didn't think it would stand a chance of holding up, why wouldn't they throw it out as a standard gambit hoping the other party would bite and they'd get out of paying for your damage? I will say this, if you don't trust your insurance company enough to defend you in a case like this it may be time to get another insurance company.

Not only are you out the $5k you paid to fix your car, it is now worth less having been in an accident. I read that a car that's been in an accident depreciates up to 25% more then one that hasn't. (if this wasn't the first accident for this car maybe there wouldn't be quite as much of a depreciation hit due to this accident?)

I believe you said that accidents come off your record in 3 years? Your last one is about to come off. Even if your company found you partially liable, $5,000 divided by 36 months is $139 extra a month. Would your insurance really have gone up more than that? (still don't believe they would reasonably find you liable)

Like I said, your assessment is the only one that matters, and I hope I don't make you feel any worse than I'm sure you already do by sharing this perspective. Just pointing out that if you did the math using a game theory type model (one that assigned reasonable odds of your company ruling against you) I bet the numbers would suggest your optimal move would have been to pursue a claim. Still might be in your interest to do so in small claims court against either the other driver directly or her and her insurance company, although that comes with some stress and effort; would be up to you as to whether it would be worth it to try to get back the $5k plus depreciated value of your car.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Let me start by noting that your calculus is the only one that really counts.

Having said that, looking at it from a "game theory" perspective, I've got to question the notion that your best move was to eat the cost of the accident.

First off, you say the risk was too high that your insurance company would find you partially at fault. How big is that risk actually? You were driving through the lot, absolutely had the right of way, someone backed into you from a parking spot, hit you in the side (not backed in front of you and you hit them), and you've got an independent witness to that fact. What are you basing the risk that your company would find you partially at fault on? The fact that the other company said so? Of course they'd say that; even if they didn't think it would stand a chance of holding up, why wouldn't they throw it out as a standard gambit hoping the other party would bite and they'd get out of paying for your damage? I will say this, if you don't trust your insurance company enough to defend you in a case like this it may be time to get another insurance company.

Not only are you out the $5k you paid to fix your car, it is now worth less having been in an accident. I read that a car that's been in an accident depreciates up to 25% more then one that hasn't. (if this wasn't the first accident for this car maybe there wouldn't be quite as much of a depreciation hit due to this accident?)

I believe you said that accidents come off your record in 3 years? Your last one is about to come off. Even if your company found you partially liable, $5,000 divided by 36 months is $139 extra a month. Would your insurance really have gone up more than that? (still don't believe they would reasonably find you liable)

Like I said, your assessment is the only one that matters, and I hope I don't make you feel any worse than I'm sure you already do by sharing this perspective. Just pointing out that if you did the math using a game theory type model (one that assigned reasonable odds of your company ruling against you) I bet the numbers would suggest your optimal move would have been to pursue a claim. Still might be in your interest to do so in small claims court against either the other driver directly or her and her insurance company, although that comes with some stress and effort; would be up to you as to whether it would be worth it to try to get back the $5k plus depreciated value of your car.

I’m basing the risk on the fact that the independent witness stated the car backing up was “halfway out of their spot.” If the witness repeats that to my insurance company, I would be found partially at a fault and my rates would go up. Since I had no reason to believe that wouldn’t be the case, it was a risk I couldnt take.

I’d have loved for my insurance company to defend me, but when I approached them about it, they told me they couldn’t do anything unless I opened up a claim. And when I asked if opening up this claim would affect my rates, they said they couldn’t guarantee that it wouldn’t.

So no, I don’t trust my insurance company to defend me, but only because I don’t trust insurance companies in general. You put money into keeping insurance every month, but the minute you might need to utilize the insurance you pay for, they do everything possible to prevent paying you. And even when they pay you, they make sure to get it back.

Like I said, my last accident was about 3 years ago. 100% my fault, late at night, I was unfamiliar with the area, misjudged a T-intersection for a 4-way one and drove straight through into the woods. Totaled my car, insurance gave me 10k to purchase a new one. In those 3 years since then, I’ve paid over 9k total for car insurance. So it’s like they didn’t pay me any money at all.

I’m not doing lawyers or court for the same reason I didn’t contact my insurance company. As long as that witness is there, I don’t have much of a leg to stand on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad