Hurricanes 5 Oilers 3

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The look last night was a combination of bemused and perplexed. As Oilers trailed the play on almost every GA and were caught up ice Brossoit gave knowing looks at them, knowing that this exact thing had been talked about for the last 2 weeks if not more than that. He's privy to the coaching, privy to the drills, and knows the team is NOT doing what its been told.

I'll tell you as well that I like Jonathan Quick. But even Quick will try less hard to make a stop in a game where he knows the people in front of him are not doing their job. He'll work hard and like his life depends on it if people are ADHERING to system play. The moment they decide to go rogue and their play is going to constantly implode in odd man rushes against theres little point in a goalie trying to put a finger in that dam. That just results in more bad habits of the players playing in front of the netminder.

Brossoit watched the players on this team fail the agreed to system of play on the very first shift. That's in textbook terms called "quitting the system, again on the first shift in a hockey game.

It would be hard for a goalie to have any more than contempt for the how club is playing.

Huge difference between Quick and LB. Quick is a well respected, proven starter that has stolen numerous games for his team. LB is just starting his career and should be playing every rare start he gets like its a game 7.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Brossoit didn't cost the Oilers the game, but he sure didn't help us win it either.

The team really needed a big save in the third period.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maroon definitely needs to be better, I'm thinking Slepyshev should take his spot, but then I'm worried about how Maroon will do on a lower line.

I do think a huge part of this start can be chalked up to luck and goaltending, however there's no question that the defence is making stupid mistakes out there right now.

However, they have outplayed the other team significantly in every game save the one against Winnipeg. If Draisaitl can get healthy relatively quickly, they may be able to dig out of this fairly soon. But man, talk about putting themselves behind the 8-ball.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know that you can make a case for every goal that LB was let down somehow. And I don't know that the defense gave up on him. He had 21 shots against, so yes they gave up some bad chances but they also kept his overall work load way down. There were plays that prevented chances you just don't notice them as much as you do when a goal is scored against. At some point the goalies have to do something to show that they are doing their part, and right now they aren't.

The forwards had 51 shots and 3 goals, defense allowed 21 shots. What good did LB do last night?
Not all shots are equal. A lot of the shots we allowed were great freaking chances.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
A glimpse of good nes.

Sekera, Draisaitl, Cagguila and Benson all skating together this morning.

The fact that Sekera is skating is huge news, he was skating yesterday too. Probably still out until November, but I doubt he'll be skating for two months before being able to play.

Cagguila would be some help too at this point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maroon definitely needs to be better, I'm thinking Slepyshev should take his spot, but then I'm worried about how Maroon will do on a lower line.

I do think a huge part of this start can be chalked up to luck and goaltending, however there's no question that the defence is making stupid mistakes out there right now.

However, they have outplayed the other team significantly in every game save the one against Winnipeg. If Draisaitl can get healthy relatively quickly, they may be able to dig out of this fairly soon. But man, talk about putting themselves behind the 8-ball.
I don't know if Slepy has done anything to warrant more time either. I think it would be more putting Maroon down the lineup so he pulls his head out of his ass and realizes that if he doesn't do something he's going to be in the same situation he was with ANA.

Reactions: nabob

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It was good to see Strome have his best game as an Oiler so far. Yamamoto still has his rookie moments, but you can see the effort and skill level. I think he's getting more comfortable each game... but even still, I would send him back to Juniors after his 9 games. Maroon is playing like crap. I had a feeling he would be the one player on the Oilers who would get called alot with the new slashing infractions. I think he needs to get into a fight or something. Klefbom will be better.. he's not this bad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not all shots are equal. A lot of the shots we allowed were great freaking chances.
Sure, but we had some stellar chances as well and Ward was able to make some saves to keep things going for his team. At some point as a goalie you need to do something. He did literally nothing last night positive.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It was good to see Strome have his best game as an Oiler so far. Yamamoto still has his rookie moments, but you can see the effort and skill level. I think he's getting more comfortable each game... but even still, I would send him back to Juniors after his 9 games. Maroon is playing like crap. I had a feeling he would be the one player on the Oilers who would get called alot with the new slashing infractions. I think he needs to get into a fight or something. Klefbom will be better.. he's not this bad.
The issue is if we send Yamamoto down, we literally do not have a single guy left on the right side worth a damn. Unless we are okay with running Letestu as our 3c all year and putting all of our decent centers in the top 6.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
this season rests on the shoulders of the core...Mcdavid, Drai, Talbot, Larsson and Klefbom
if they continue to struggle and play dumb, it doesn't matter about the complimentary players
We can start talking about the complimentary players again when our top players f***ing do something.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know if Slepy has done anything to warrant more time either. I think it would be more putting Maroon down the lineup so he pulls his head out of his ass and realizes that if he doesn't do something he's going to be in the same situation he was with ANA.

I only chose Slepyshev because he had once good shift with Yamamoto and McDavid when Maroon changed early or something, so maybe they would click. I am not high on the third and fourth line depth at all, but if I had to choose someone to move up right now based on skillset I think it has to be Slepyshev by default.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The issue is if we send Yamamoto down, we literally do not have a single guy left on the right side worth a damn. Unless we are okay with running Letestu as our 3c all year and putting all of our decent centers in the top 6.

Yamamoto has been good enough to stick the last couple of games, he'll just have to keep going, maybe get a goal or two. Ideal is Draisaitl comes back and centres his own line, that is imperative at this point.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamamoto has been good enough to stick the last couple of games, he'll just have to keep going, maybe get a goal or two. Ideal is Draisaitl comes back and centres his own line, that is imperative at this point.
That is ideal. But the skilled winger problem becomes worse.

If you have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge at center your most skilled winger left is Strome.
Thats not going to win us any games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
this season rests on the shoulders of the core...Mcdavid, Drai, Talbot, Larsson and Klefbom
if they continue to struggle and play dumb, it doesn't matter about the complimentary players
Your core point is correct but that doesn't mean other players can't step up. Remember Kassian in the Sharks series?

The fact of the matter is that there are very few players right now that are playing well. I single out Maroon because he's riding shotgun with McDavid and not producing. And then he's also taking stupid penalties.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That is ideal. But the skilled winger problem becomes worse.

If you have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge at center your most skilled winger left is Strome.
Thats not going to win us any games.

Then they call up Puljujarvi. I mean, you just can't have Letestu playing third line centre, and Strome looks significantly better as a winger. Either Jokinen and Strome figure out how to play centre effectively, or you throw a rookie on McDavid's wing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Then they call up Puljujarvi. I mean, you just can't have Letestu playing third line centre, and Strome looks significantly better as a winger. Either Jokinen and Strome figure out how to play centre effectively, or you throw a rookie on McDavid's wing.
I just wish our right wing depth right now wasn't Rookie and blah. Or AHL call up lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We should be able to put our two worse wingers with McDavid and it shouldn't be a problem.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We should be able to put our two worse wingers with McDavid and it shouldn't be a problem.
Jesus christ thats not how it works. McDavid can't make miracles out of shit. They need chemistry or skill. Hall looked like crap beside McDavid. What makes you think garbage would work?

You can't put the worst wingers with Crosby and work.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How the hell do you outshoot your opponent 51 to 21 and lose? This feels like what happened to the Kings last year taken to the nth degree.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Jesus christ thats not how it works. McDavid can't make miracles out of ****. They need chemistry or skill. Hall looked like crap beside McDavid. What makes you think garbage would work?

You can't put the worst wingers with Crosby and work.

Completely agreed and this is why Maroon continues to stay there despite him being ice cold. It's proven to work.

We have to let them play their way out of it.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I am a Alberta hockey fan. My team of choice is the Flames but I cheer for the Oilers as my second team. I see so many hard core fans getting mad at all the players but they need to look at facts imo. You are out playing and out shooting most teams. You have some injuries which hopefully will not be out long. IMO to win in this league you need a goalie to bail you out a couple times a game. The biggest difference this year is last year your goalie was making key saves and this year they are not. Every team can pick apart their players but if your goalie cannot make the odd key save, you will lose more then you win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad